Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia776

Help with choosing wood for countertops

olympia776
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking for wood for a counter top that will play nicely with my natural finished quarter sawn red oak floors. In the kitchen I just installed the floors last year so they are still kind of pale but throughout the house I have the original floors which are quite ambered. So maybe something golden/reddish?

I've got dark wainscotting in the adjoining dining room and I thought I'd play off that but I tried a walnut top and it seems to be just TOO dark and to draw too much attention in the all white kitchen.

This top will sit on a 6ft long cabinet that is under a window and it will sit directly next to (techincally under, since it's slightly lower) my white macauba countertop. The white macauba has some brown/rust/gold going on in it as well so I think the combination will look good. Although there is not backsplash above this, just windows, the backsplash about the white macauba, along with the entirety of the walls, is covered in shiplap that's painted white so no other colors to fight with there.

I'm looking at pics online and seem to like mahogany, sapele, cherry and sometimes maple and sometimes teak. I think I'd prefer to have something fabricated from planks rather than having butcherblock since my floors are 1.5'' wide strips to match the original floors.

Thanks!!

This post was edited by browneyes776 on Wed, May 7, 14 at 17:39

Comments (2)