Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkelsgw

Kitchen Complete

funkelsgw
9 years ago

The following are some before and after pics. I want to thank the members of GW, who were the best source of advice and inspiration. The challenge with the photos is that with the flash, the whites become whiter and without the flash, the cabinets looked more yellow. I think the true color is in-between the two. The basics:

Cabinets - Antique White
Granite - Costa Esmeralda
Faucet - Waterstone 5800-SS
Sink - Franke Orca
Backsplash - 2 x 8 Sonoma Tile (Stellar Ivory)
Switches/Outlets - Adorne by LeGrand
Berry Season Mural - Stone Impressions
Under Cabinet Lighting are Tube LEDs
Kitchen Paint - BM Vapor Trails
Stove - Viking Induction
Pendants - Hubbardton Forge Cuff lights

Link to before and after photos:
https://funkelskitchen.shutterfly.com

OLD:

This post was edited by Funkels on Fri, May 30, 14 at 15:40

Comments (50)

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NEW:

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more pic.

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another:

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! Your old kitchen was nice, but wow, I really like what you've done. I don't usually like white kitchens but yours is really pretty. Your new floor is such a gorgeous warm color! And I like the mosaic behind your range.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

really beautiful! you must be so happy with the results!

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Looks great, love the big cab with wine rack..very cool!

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Love a good before and after shot from the same location. Looks like you moved a door -- where the fridge is???

Your kitchen turned out beautifully! Love the punch of red with your stools and other kitchen items. Really nicely done. Enjoy!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I like the furniture feet on the sink bump-out and elsewhere. Thank you for sharing!

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

It looks beautiful! I love white kitchens. I really like that you eliminated the soffit, that you moved the microwave so you could have a real hood vent, that you moved the fridge and that you added a lot more lights in the ceiling. I really like the pendant lights over the peninsula , and I love the wine bar area facing the dining room. And I'm sure you have already started enjoying cooking on induction. Enjoy!

• bpath
    9 years ago

This is so nice. The wraparound pensula is genius. Like the micro location, too.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Funkels, I love everything about your kitchen! The colors, everything. It's spacious without being cavernous. Love all the counter space! Good job!!!

• jgopp
    9 years ago

Looks great, I really like that faucet.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

It looks so much bigger & is so bright & airy. Way to go.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Awesome! I like the wall with the M/W quite a bit...different. Night and day improvement, and I'm sure you agree.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Very nice! You must be loving it!

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the kudos. We are really enjoying it. It's amazing how a kitchen renovation can really change a house.

• happy8765
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. What brand of cabinet did you go with. I love the white. I've been trying to sort a remodel out It's a grueling job. Your results are amazing

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic! Some really great changes, like moving the fridge and putting your microwave on that wall. great floor plan!

Congratulations on a lovely kitchen and surviving the reno!

• nmjen
    9 years ago

What a pretty space! I love the microwave placement and how seamless the transitions are. It seems like that has always been your kitchen! Hope you're enjoying it!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I'm always so surprised to see the before & then the after. Your new kitchen is lovely. So fresh & bright. Love your new floors. Are they new to the other areas beyond the kitchen?
    It looks like you have nice pantry storage on both sides of your microwave.
    Enjoy your new kitchen!

• williamsem
    9 years ago

Love it! Hope you enjoy your Orca as much as I do mine. Looks like a great space to work in!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Congratulations! I love you granite; the edge treatment and color work so well with your cabinets. I like the wine storage and bookcases a lot as well. The pop out outlets are great too.

• Evan
    9 years ago

Love your pendant lights; they're really unique! The built in bookcase is great, too!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Very nice! Love your colors and layout!

I really like the soft white color of your cabinets. I've been considering using Sherwin Williams Antique White to paint my cabinets. Is the Antique White that you have matched to a certain brand of paint or is it just the cabinet manufacturer's own name for that color of cabinet?

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Wed, May 21, 14 at 1:43

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I have the same counter stools in brown. They are the best for wiping down with all my grandbabies. Your kitchen is wonderful!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Nice! It not only looks pretty and calm, but I love how you utilized the space!

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

That kitchen just seems to breath better in the "after" pictures. Very pretty. I love how you did the wine rack area.
    Diane

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I love your kitchen. The wood floors, the gorgeous window, the airy, bright feeling. What a lovely place to be! Congratulations.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

LOVE IT! you did a beautiful job and i love all your choices. that glass cabinet with the wine rack underneath is beautiful.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

quick question- is that a viking hood?

• agk2003
    9 years ago

ok just took a closer look at your pics and the hood is in fact viking. another question- are your pulls/knobs polished chrome or nickel?

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the additional kudos. Answers to your questions:

CK Squared - Yes, we moved the door to the left (into the former dining room area)
    bruins 47- The cabinets are Luxor, but we got the Buyers Choice line, which is not "published". It was heavily discounted.
    juddgirl - It was the manufacturer's antique white - Luxor out of Canada
    AGK2003 - Yes Viking; The pulls and knobs are all nickel

Our KD was Phyllis, the owner of Connecticut Kitchen and Bath in Danbury, CT. Phyllis was great. It was a loooooong process, but it was worth it, as our tastes really morphed. We were looking at stained maple cabs originally.

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closer shot of the mural and the 2x8 subways.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I really like the wrap-around cabinetry/counter that you did to include the dining area. That was really imaginative and looks really useful.

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the view from the sink area into the eating area, which was formerly the dining room. We removed a big chunk of the wall and the door between the old dining room and kitchen to open up the space and get more natural light in the area. Of course, the beam was load bearing, so we had to spend some money on labor to recess the engineered beam into the ceiling. We really did not want any separation at the ceiling level. Money well spent.

• eurekachef
    9 years ago

Beautiful! A complete transformation.

• VADawg
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! It looks like we have similar cabinet colors- could I ask what brand and color you used for your backsplash? Thanks!

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi VADawg - The Backsplash is 2 x 8 Sonoma Tile (Stellar Ivory). I definitely would get samples and live with them a bit. It took a while to get to the correct color to pull everything together. We liked the dimensions of 2 x 8 and 2 x 10 tiles. A little more "brick-like" than subways.

• plumberry
    9 years ago

lovely! simple and elegant! The pendants are great. enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I love all the little details, especially the bookcase. It all looks so very well thought out.

• amck2
    9 years ago

This is one of my favorite kitchen remodels. There are many touches that make it special, like the backsplash mural, but not one thing overwhelms the bright, airy, but warm overall feel.

I've seen your pendants IRL, and the photos don't do them justice. They are quiet little works of art.

Mostly, I appreciate the careful consideration of how space was used to make the kitchen and DR flow so nicely while having a working layout that makes sense.

I confess part of what made me keep coming back to your reveal is that there are are some similarities to my remodel plan. Your window wall is nearly identical to my proposed layout & my cab color is similar. Seeing yours gives me a preview of what I hope to see soon in my own kitchen.

Congratulations on your lovely new space! And thanks for sharing.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

This is such a great remodel, all the time and planning really paid off! I love the Costa Esmeralda granite and the mural is just awesome!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

It is beautiful. I oogle over your storage options. I love the microwave wall!

• shelayne
    9 years ago

Look at all that counter space! **DROOL**

Your kitchen is really beautiful! I bet it makes you grin ear-to-ear every time you enter it. Congratulations on such a wonderfully bright and spacious kitchen!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I agree - this is a "DROOL" kitchen.
    Love the color combinations and love the new layout.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Go UConn!

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

amck - How is your project coming along?

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Funkels, I love your kitchen! I love the full overlay kitchen cabinets! I think they are frameless? I love the color of the cabinets that goes so well with your timeless backsplash and your beautiful granite counters. I love how your kitchen looked like mine with the soffit and oak cabinets and almond laminate counters and then they looked gorgeous with the wow factor and so much more room. I love how you have the Microwave off of the counter but not over the range so you can have a vented range hood. I love all the light that you have. I love the hardware chosen. From another post, I love how you did the trash can pull-out in such a perfect location. I love how your bright color teapot (orange or orangey red?) matches your fancier design on the backsplash behind the stove. I love the clock in the kitchen above the sink. I have mine there and I really will like to keep it there in the remodel. I love the furniture look of your cabinets by having the fancier legs. I love the reddish chairs by the counter and the orangey flowers in the vase to get the pop of color that goes nicely with the teapot. I have red accents in my current kitchen that I love and want to keep in my new kitchen. I love how your wall color ties everything in with the counters and makes everything just peaceful and beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

• funkelsgw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lynne2006 - thank you for such flattering comments. It was a real collaboration between me and my DW. It took waaaaay too long from start to finish, but the extended time really helped us refine our tastes.

What is funny about kitchens is that it is so subjective. We are far from trendy people and we chose white (antique) to be bright and cheery and timeless. The most important thing is that we are happy with it.

We also realized that the little details can be all the difference. For example, we went with handmade tile for the backsplash. Although it is subtle, the tile pulls things together better than the other options we looked at. Also we went with 2x8, because we liked the "brick like" look.

Also to create some interest, we went with ring pulls on all of the cabinets with glass.

Good luck on your project!

• Lauraeds
    9 years ago

Love that cabinet with the wine storage and glasses. What a great way to delineate space with something useful!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!