Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celineike

dissappointed in RH's Hardware :o(

celineike
12 years ago

I had been planning for a while now to go with Restoration Hardware's .. hardware :o)

I've been filling my cart with all sorts of things and planning to order bunch of things to sample and just to see what i like once cabs are installed.

I was all set to place the order but decided i should just go down there and pick them up myself... Well, i was so disappointed in the look of most of my choices.

I want some cup pulls (which still seem ok, I'm probably get those) but also some pulls in 8" for a pantry door handle, the garbage pull outs and as a small towel holder.

All of the pulls looked too thin and delicate for what i was imagining i guess. I think i thought that the sample they show in 4" would proportionally grow as you got to the 8" size.

Even the Knob pulls were puny! lol, i guess i'll just have to get the 1.75" knobs for way more $$$.

Here's what I was liking...

if you think you can gather the look Im after for the larger pulls, I'd love to hear some suggestions.

thanks guys!

Comments (19)

• kellied
    12 years ago

Check out the following websites

www.rensup.com
    www.vandykes.com

Both of them have a far more extensive collection of hardware than Restoration Hardware.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

That's too bad! I was eye those second pulls you posted. :( I guess it pays to actually lay your eyes and hands on something before you purchase. Appreciate your post.

• domesticah
    12 years ago

Hi there. I thought the same when I saw the rh gilmore pulls. Nothing exciting...Then I saw this posted by another here at garden web, and I fell in love with these pulls. (who knew pottery barn had hardware?)

I am going to pair it with the larger latches and round pulls:

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/latchescatches/pantrylatch

Sorry I don't know how to post pics.

Have a great night! : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Pulls

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Oh dear! Wish me luck, I just ordered a slew of cup and bin pulls because the price was right and I couldn't find the look and size I wanted elsewhere! =/

• celineike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really like the pulls from PB that Coastal posted the other day. I'm considering them as well. I think I just had a picture in my head that included cup pulls. I'm really not sure which ones to do.
    Thanks for the link to HB.

For the larger pulls that are 8" That I'm wanting, Im looking for a pull thats heavy and big that you might see on an oven or door or something heavy itself.
    Never-Ending - yours might be fine - the small pulls are great and nice and thick.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Just my two cents worth: I've had kitchen pulls over the years from both PB and RH. The RH knobs and pulls overall seemed to be much better quality. The PB chrome knobs I purchased (now almost 10 years ago) had a thin finish that wore off pretty quickly. the inside lips of the PB pulls felt rough and badly finished compared to the RH pulls. Keep in mind that my experience is based on knobs and pulls I purchases almost 10 years ago. PB and RH may have different companies they work with now.

• celineike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Francoise - this is very good to know.
    My next step for sure is to buy some samples and live w them a little.
    That will kill some time till my cabs come :0)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

This is probably a timely place to mention the Horton Brasses free hardware contest : )

Deadline is June 1st. They need, I believe, 25 entries to go ahead, and there are only 3 so far.

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Horton Brasses hardware contest

• chicken1020
    12 years ago

Have you checked out Rejuvenation? I got latches, bin pulls and knobs from them and they were all pretty hefty and seem well made.

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

catalogs are a tricky business. restoration goes to great lengths to make its merchandise look good ...better than it actually is. i got beautiful cup pulls from vandyke's. the quality is far better than RH. as for latches, i looked for a long time and decided i really like cliffside industries. they're expensive, but they were more reasonably priced from regal home source. also, i love the quality of schaub. i got my handle pulls from them and am thrilled with the quality.
    i had initially made selections from RH, but took one look at the quality and decided to continue my search. i think hardware is really one of those things you must hold in your hand. you'll know it when you feel it! good luck.

• celineike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!.... I
    becky- I will definitely enter the contest. I didn't realize I could submit plans. I have a pretty empty space at the moment!

Katie-I will check out these 2 other sources as well.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Gosh, I wonder if either my standards are much lower than others' here or if the RH hardware varies a great deal from one style to another. I hunted around and looked at a lot of hardware and ended up buying RH Gilmore and Aubrey pulls in ORB finishes because I thought the quality WAS good. They haven't been installed long, but I'm certainly happy with them so far.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You can also check Crown City Hardware.

Most of the stuff is imported, a lot from China.

India brass is generally pretty good, but not all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown City

• mythreesonsnc
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reminder about the contest, Becky! I am entering now... I'll be the farmhouse one! Their hardware is beautiful, but I couldn't afford it on my entire kitchen.

Back to the OP's question / comment, I was just about to order the RH gilmore pulls as well. They look pretty, and I have seen them on lots of GW kitchens, and love them. The price is not terrible either, though I am finding that the hardware adds up VERY quickly! Trying to put hardware on an entire house of cabinetry is more than I had bargained for! I like your choices... the 1.75" knobs seem huge to me though....

TopKnobs has pretty hardware too, but it is also expensive.... grrr.

• ellaf
    12 years ago

We bought restoration hardware tp roll and towel rack for our half bath and I'm very happy with the quality for what that's worth.

• babs711
    12 years ago

Melissastar, I've heard of lots of GWers being happy with RH's hardware. You're not alone. I know it's enough people that I bookmarked them to look at when we're at that stage in our kitchen process. Rest easy! I think it all depends on the aesthetic you're going for.

• celineike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh don't get me wrong. I really think most of it is great. I aspire to an RH home :)

And the pulls felt big and thick and they look great in so many kitchens. I would be very happy with them in mine.

I think Kate summed it up that the pics are very good and can be a bit misleading.
    The bar pulls are just not what the pic represented. And I'm sure part of it is that in my head it was going to look a lot different than it did IRL.

I'm probably trying to use them out of context. And that's why it's not working for me.

• vitamins
    12 years ago

I, too, bought RH hardware for my kitchen cabinets and I am very happy with them. I got the Bistro knobs and pulls in ORB (mostly knobs but 4" pulls for a couple of drawers and 8" pulls for the two large pot drawers and for the drawer under my ovens). My KD was steering me to Top Knobs, but I liked the RH ones better.

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

When my DH and I were choosing pulls, we went to RH to look at theirs. Some were fine, but some seemed to be made of folded sheet metal instead of cast. The latter, in our opinion, had edges that didn't feel comfortable to use. It is impossible to tell on-line whether the feel of a pull is acceptable. Some cast ones (not necessarily from RH - I don't remember from where) had unacceptable mold ridges.

It is a good idea to get samples before buying a whole set of hardware if you can't see them in a store. Some places have a sample policy that will allow you to get some of the money spent on samples back.