Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanjuangirl

Kitchen Feet! Please show me your footed cabinets!

sanjuangirl
10 years ago

I'm thinking of adding feet to the ends of some of my cabinets and/or island. I've seen them and really like them but I'm perplexed at where to put them and what kind look best. My design is traditional. Please show me where yours are on your counter runs. Can I have feet around my new farmhouse sink even if I don't have the "bump" out?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm brain dead from all of the decisions, and nervous about the ones I've already made.

Comments (20)

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Here's an old pic of my beverage one in the DR, the only place where I used something that looks like feet. I enjoy the look there, but am glad I didn't do them in the real working side of the kitchen as I don't like cleaning around them.

I used end panels touching the ground for a sleeker look in many other spots in the kitchen, but not in the "working zones" like prep, cooking, and cleanup. I did not put feet on my sink base as it would have looked odd with my silgranit super single and the way the cleanup sink run is located. Plus, there's the cleaning issue again. :)

• babushka_cat
    10 years ago

here is a view of some footsies!

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Breezy. I really like your feet and the end panels touching the ground. I don't have this option since I'm working with existing cabinetry with modifications here and there. What style feet would you call these?

Love the look Babushca, it really makes it look like furniture! You have a beautiful kitchen. Do you have feet on the sink run? Thanks for posting.

• seosmp
    10 years ago

I can't post pictures since I'm not done with the kitchen, but I can tell you that I plan on having feet on some of my cabinets.

- cooktop/oven cabinet which is bumped out 3" will have feet similar to above (not sure what they're called)
    - SS apron front sink cabinet which is not bumped out (but sink will be pulled out an inch) will have feet similar to above
    - island will have sort of squarish decorative feet
    - end of some runs will have feet similar to above - may decide against this - depends on how it looks

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds cool! Would love to see your feet when they're in,

• Gooster
    10 years ago

These are an alternative to feet. We originally were going with bun feet, but then switched to valances with the ends that appear as feet-like appendages. They are a bit different as they sit in front of the cabinet frame, vs. integrated in. The bonus is they cost less than bun feet.

• Peke
    10 years ago

I cannot imagine cleaning under them. Dust bunnies multiply when you get more than one dust bunny ! Oh, but I do love the look....sigh....I have Pekingese dogs......hair, hair, hair.....if I don't keep them brushed out. Poor dogs haven't had much attention since the remodel.

Here is a pic of my 5" toe kicks. Cabinet guy said, "I ain't never heard of such a thing." He doesn't even have a computer program to draw the cabinets. He is old school, but makes pretty cabinets.

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Booster, love the sink and the feet!

Looking good Peke! Peke with the Pekinese, how appropriate !

• Bunny
    10 years ago

babushka, love the footsies! I assume cat toys find their way under the cabs? I think all that space would be endlessly fascinating to my duo.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Here are mine:

I have matching ones on the island.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

To the people who have them: is it hard to clean around them? Is it a lot of getting on the floor to check under there?

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dilly, those are the kind of feet I'm leaning towards. I would love to see the footsies on your island!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I honestly haven't had mine long enough to tell if they are going to be tough to clean. With mine, there is a distinct "pocket" behind the feet --- if I had gone the solid bun/peg feet approach, I would not have this issue.

On the plus side, the extra apron on the front might help with that issue of the visible build up of wear/dirt where the floor meets the white cabinet base. I had this issue in my last kitchen, which was also white. No matter how often/well you cleaned, the joint between the floor and the cabinet (cabinet, quarter round or kickplate) tended to attract wear and discoloration.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of island before the granite was installed.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

And another pic of island

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Dilly_NY, is that a Maltese? What a cute little dog. I have two Maltese and a Shih Tzu. I love how the floors go so well with your cabinets. I love the feet on the cabinets! Love your beautiful granite counters.

I love all the feet shown on the cabinets! Something I never thought about before was this finished touch. Everyone thanks for sharing.

Babushka_cat, I love the style of your inset shaker cabinets, love the hardware chosen, love your wall color, love your backsplash, appliances and your floor! What width, species and stain are your beautiful floors?

Breezygirl, I always love looking at your kitchen as it is beautiful and I enjoyed watching you create it. Thanks for sharing.

Peke, I love your floors! Which wood species and which stain and which width?

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Lynn2006 - dog is half bischon, half King Charles.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Lynn, my floors are old. I don't know what is on them. I think maybe something clear. Here is a close up picture. I think they are white oak...then I look and see red oak. Who knows? They are 2 1/4"wide.

• Peke
    10 years ago

You can see some of the brown lines are short and some are long. I think they have used both white and red.

• Peke
    10 years ago

This last pic is from our new stair landing. They are red oak. Nothing on them yet. We are afraid to stain them.