Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
individual_dude

Vote on this chandelier!

Individual_Dude
10 years ago

This would be a bold decorating move for us, and I'm wondering what people think of this piece:

http://www.troy-lighting.com/contents/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1087

Comments (22)

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

That's a nice fixture. Where in particular do you intend to use it?

• ekbecker1
    10 years ago

Ooooh, very cool! I like it a lot.

• KBH
    10 years ago

So different - its really cool.

I attached the pic

• AboutToGetDusty
    10 years ago

LOVE it!!! In fact, it would look great in my dining room. Hmmm....
    Only thing I'm wondering is...how much of a PITA is it to clean? I mean, reaching up and inside each lighted "vase" could be annoying.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Cleaning it will be a nightmare, I think. But, it's really cool. It would look amazing in the right house.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I like that it's different... but I think it's that notion more then the style itself that I like. Does that make any sense?

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I do wonder if the globes will come off easily for cleaning.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Think about what you will be looking up at from below. And how much light it will actually be able to give off. I guess it might cast an interesting gridded shadow below.

I like mercury glass but can't really picture this comfortably living in the average house. The style would look prettier sitting on a table, imo, as a tray of mercury glass votives and vases with candles in them (where you could appreciate it all more at that level).

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, May 11, 13 at 12:27

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Are you old enough to remember the milkman?

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

Cleaning...ha ha! That's what air in a can is for. You know the stuff you use to clean a keyboard. Hit it good every few months. That's how the light gallery where we purchased ours cleans their entire showroom. I guess an air compressor would work too if you have one clean enough to tote inside.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Uhuh. To each his own method. It's very handsome, but if I can't just lift those things off to clean, I'm not interested.

Sad how often my first reaction to beautiful decor is a heart-felt OMG at the thought of standing on a counter polishing a wall of three-dimensional tile or some such thing. Even if I could hire someone to do it for me. Even if it's not recognized in the American Psychiatric Association's DSM-IV, I know there is definitely such a thing as housework-induced PTSD.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Rosie, I gave up on a chandelier that I absolutely love for our bathroom when I learned that the "candle holders" were actually silver and would have to be polished. Not something I wanted to do, but a really bad idea over the tub.

I don't think the mercury glass would be as bad for keeping clean as having clear glass on this, but the light output could be an issue. It strikes me as a dining table light that gives more mood lighting than any work or task lighting like you might want in a breakfast room -- but the style is a bit casual for many formal dining rooms. Would be really cool in the right space and fun to dress up for the holidays or parties.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Without thought to above comments re: cleaning and light outcome, I love it.

Funny how GWers think of cleaning first and foremost. Almost like when I go shopping with my Mom and she picks out the gorgeous 100% cotton or linen blouse and I immediate say "It's lovely, but who's going to iron it?" Since the answer is always "Not I" we have to find something else. Ironing is the chore I despise.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

@lascatx - You could always lacquer over the silver, so you don't have to polish it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Aside from cleaning, I'd also be wondering about the light output and that grid pattern and shadows it will cast on your table surface.

• amykath
    10 years ago

If you really love something then who cares about cleaning it??? That is just my opinion.

Very cool light fixture!!!

• Individual_Dude
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

It's going to be over an 8'x46" bausman english country table. We're gutting the kitchen in our new house. I-beam header to blow out the kitchen/dining room wall, so the table is going to be next to the fridge, pantry and a hutch- Brookhaven cabinets; vintage lace color- off white, actually an opaque stain, but NOT yellow. Brushstroked but not glazed; picture of hardware on the hutch I think will look good with the light is below (all hardware will be this finish from Ashley Norton); black granite; We'll have a row cans in front of the cabinets, parallel to the table, so functional light isn't much of an issue. There will also be two Hudson Valley Pelham pendants, 2210-SN, over a nearby island. The shadow pattern of this chandelier may be cool! For cleaning, I was thinking feather duster, but compressed air sounds good, too. I'll take looks over maintenance concerns.

I think I'm going for it.

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

Be sure to show us when you get finished! I cannot wait to see your space. It sounds so unique and lovely!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

very interesting light. Love the globes, I would love to see them in a different frame, a less heavy one, I wonder if that exists?

• sabramccraw
    10 years ago

LOVE!!!!

• amykath
    10 years ago

YES! Please keep us posted. Sounds like it is going to be a fabulous space!