Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leela4

KAW: A Decidedly Decadent Dessert

leela4
10 years ago

I've never done a KAW before. Whenever I've thought about it, I've either gotten to the final product without remembering or thinking about photos along the way, or I'm too much in a hassled time crunch to want to do it. Plus I don't have high end/fancy appliances (although I know that's irrelevant) to show off.

But. This time I planned ahead, partially because there are several steps to this, and also because it is so outside of our ''normal'' way of eating. I really don't make desserts often - mainly just for special occasions. I had friends for dinner last week to celebrate a birthday. Instead of making the usual chocolate flourless cake that my friend loves, I made Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls. Full disclosure: this is NOT an original recipe. DD1 lives in Madison,WI, and a favorite restaurant there is called Bluephies. This is from a cookbook from that restaurant.

First I made a chocolate sauce:

Then, the dough (no eggs in this):

Then, you put them in a wonton wrapper:

And then you freeze them:

And for the final, really decadent part, you deep fat fry them. Seriously, I probably haven't deep fat fried anything in 40 years. But, anything for a friend:

Happy birthday, Mo.

Comments (13)

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

This post is worthless without a recipe.

That looks decadent, fattening and delicious! Way to tease us without posting the recipe! ;)

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

yum!!! Recipe please!!!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Recipe? No way - I'll just have one of those! My birthday is in December - do they mail well? ;P

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I couldn't wait any longer and went out and found the recipe (I knew I wouldn't be the only one who wanted it!).

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe

• leela4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops-sorry folks. Yes, ck-that's where I found the recipe online, although DD1 also has the cookbook.

I sent most of the leftovers home with the 2 other couples who were here, which left only 2 for us-which was exactly right. (I REALLY didn't want a whole lot of those hanging around here, yelling at me to devour them . . .)

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Leela - I know what you mean! I have brownies in the kitchen right now screaming at me!

(great story on that link, too - I love a couple who bucks tradition)

• User
    10 years ago

Oh...my...those look great !! Love your pics and a wonderful KAW .c

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Yum!!!! I might have to try that recipe....!

• Linda
    10 years ago

What a special and unique dessert -- thanks for sharing your KAW!! I especially like how they can be made ahead and kept frozen.

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

What a great unique dessert! I don't make many desserts either, but I'm going to give this one a try when some relatives visit in July. Thanks!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Does the center (cookie dough) end up cookie-like or gooey? Does it keep the dough flavor? I've made cc cookies my whole life and, while I love the end results, there is nothing, NOTHING, that compares to eating cookie dough. I usually only bake them because I have a hankering to eat some dough. My daughter and I once made a batch that never got baked. Over the course of a few days we just were both in and out of the fridge with spoonfuls of dough. My husband might have joined in.

• leela4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

linelle-the dough does remain sort of gooey. In fact, I was worried about that, but it is a nice contrast to the crispy fried won ton wrappers. It also tastes like dough. Like you, I've been making chocolate chip cookies almost my whole life, in fact I still primarily use my mother's recipe. And of course I've eaten my share of dough through the years, uncooked eggs and all. One nice thing about this recipe is that there are no eggs in it.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

oooooooo.
    Who needs a recipe!
    Cookie dough.
    Wonton wrappers.
    Oil.
    Chocolate sauce.

Eggs? Oh, geeze. Get some pasturized egg beaters if you care that much. I'm willing to bet you folks who Fear the Egg eat chicken, right?

I'm off to buy another tub cookie dough. I have a neighbor who will love to fry these for me. I'll probably have to give up a few in trade, but....