Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Positive Sink Reveal - Much Trouble?

kitchenkrazed09
12 years ago

I chose a positive sink reveal for my undermount apron front sink because I really like the look. The fabricator said it will be harder to clean. Is it that you actually just see what needs to be cleaned (as suggested by Buehl's great info on sink reveals) or is it really harder to keep clean? Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• sayde
    12 years ago

There have been several threads about this. I believe the consensus is that it is not really harder to clean. But, it may in the long run make the marble less prone to chip since it is set back a little from the edge of the sink. Fabricators often tell clients it may be more difficult to clean because they don't want to do it -- it is more difficult to do a precise clean edge that will give you the exact positive reveal you want than it is to do a negative reveal. And in fact my fabricator told me the exact same thing. And then I went for a positive reveal. (and then they botched it but that is another story but it is fixed now and I like the positive reveal). Get what you like and don't listen to their BS!

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

I will get a zero reveal, if that is what it's called. Where the counter exactly matches the edge of the sink.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sayde! I was suspecting exactly that, but wanted to see what others thought. I was worrying the reason he tried to talk me out of it is because he's not that good at it. I'm sorry you had trouble with your fabricator, but I'm glad it worked out for you!

Thanks, Adrienne2011. I would have chosen that next.

• MCMesprit
    12 years ago

We asked for a positive reveal of about 3/8" (granite with blanco single) in our new kitchen. Our fabricator had never done one before and was a bit dubious. He did a great job and I love it. Not just the looks -- but how easy it is to clean. No grime hiding under the granite edge.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I've had both and find my positive reveal sooooooo much easier to clean. Strongly recommend. Plus, no chips or broken glasses this way!

• michellemarie
    12 years ago

All fabricators will try to talk you out of a postive reveal because if they make a mistake you will notice it. It is harder for them and more time consuming.
    Both of my full size sinks in my kitchen have a positive reveal and I wouldn't do it any other way. It is so easy to clean and in my opinion looks nicer.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

funny. I wanted a zero reveal but my fabricator told me that the sink is made for a positive reveal, so i have positive.
    It is the easiest thing in the world to clean. You just take your soapy sponge/cloth and wipe it and then rinse it.
    I cannot imagine any way it would be difficult.
    I have to add that since mine is creamy coloured and we drink tea and sometimes someone takes the bag out of the cup while leaning over the sink and moves it over the reveal to the compost bin and I have discovered this hours later when the reveal has become stained with drops of tea.
    even then it isn't hard to clean.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone! You are confirming what I thought and I'm glad I chose the positive reveal. I thought it might actually be easier to clean because you can see it and get to it more easily than a negative reveal. You are all so helpful, especially since I have been second-guessing EVERY decision. Even the ones I think are easy.

• johnnyl53
    12 years ago

We got a nice 1/8" reveal and no problem to clean. What could be easier than running the sponge or dish rag around the edge of the sink when you are just about finished?