Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand: take 2

Posted by maggiebkit (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 17:17

From 2008-2012 there was a thread on cabinet pricing where people tried to rank them from least to most expensive. I am trying to decide on what cabinets to use for our kitchen whose budget was just significantly cut, so I decided to weed through the thread in an attempt to come up with a fairly comprehensive list. I am sure some people will disagree with some of the rankings (which I based solely on the old thread), but finding information on cabinet comparisons is very difficult (even on gardenweb, which is a wealth of information). I wanted to share the list in the hopes of getting corrections and/or comments, as well as helping anyone else who may be interested. Here goes:

Ikea
Scherrs custom cabinets
Haas

Shenandoah
Aritokraft/Kemper
Kraft Maid/ Kitchen Craft
Diamond/Thomasville/ Schrock
Wellborn
Merrilat
Mid-continent
Medallion/ Schuler
Omega Dynasty
Showplace/ Fieldstone/ Starmark
Candlelight 

Brookhaven/Cabico/Wellborn/Lifetime/Canyon Creek
Embssy
DuraSupreme
Shiloh
Bertch
Kahles
Crystal
Decora
DutchMade
Signature/Omega Custom
Plain & Fancy/Quakermade
Crystal
Candlelight
Rutt/Woodmode
Moser
Crown Point

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand: take 2

I recently got quotes on Diamond/Thomasville and Shuler. Shuler was less than 1% more for maple and 10% more for Cherry (they have a much higher markup for cherry than others) which probably validates these companies position on your list.

o

One semi-custom brand that is missing is Pioneer. It is one of my final choices and my KD/GC is very high on them because of their quality and customer service. Also noteworthy is right now they are having a promotion that you can get cherry cabinets for the price of maple.

Don't you have Candlelight on there twice?

I was always under the impression that Omega is the most expensive but perhaps I've been mistaken.

Thanks for taking the time to gather all the info and re-post it. I was reviewing all those posts when trying to make my decision and it's nice to see the information all in one place.

o

Is "Moser" supposed to be Mouser? We bought Mouser cabs (not yet installed) and I certainly didn't think I bought close to the priciest cabs out there! Holey smokes, I hope not. Maybe I am wrong? We compared to Medallion and the price was not significantly more - though of course I cannot remember specifics now.

o

I have always wondered....if people here on GW wonder what cabinets costs...do an experiment. Everybody get a price on an oak W3630 and a B36, full overlay, raised panel doorstyle. No moldings, no upgrades. I say oak because usually it's a no upcharge wood on most cabinet lines.

Of course dealer markup would play a huge role in this.
KD's around the country might curse me for this suggestion. Who wants to try?

o

Bump, this was an interesting thread back in 2008 + and I like to see the variety of opinions. Picking cabinet manufacturers is a tough decision.

o

I don't think Decora should be that high (expensive) on the list. I would put it before Medallion/Schuler. I also think Mid continent is cheaper possibly before Kraftmaid. I suggest adding Centra to the list maybe below Medallion. It's a semi-custom line made by Mouser.

o

This is my first post but I have been lurking for awhile now. We are almost finished with our architectural drawings and about to jump into the mind boggling world of cabinet choices. I saw that Crystal was listed twice is the first one the Keyline (lower cost) version of Crystal cabinets? I also wonder where Mouser fits in on the price continuum. I have heard good things about their cabinets and there is a dealer near us.

o

What about Koch Cabinetry, HomeCrest Cabinets and Norcraft Cabinets? I believe they are a middle to low cost (comparably speaking!) but good quality (or so I hear). Any comments?

o

There is a much more helpful thread going around (see link below) but I didn't want to abandon what I started so I incorporated your corrections (thanks!):

Ikea
Scherrs custom cabinets
Haas
Shenandoah
Aritokraft/Kemper
Mid-continent
Kraft Maid/Kitchen Craft
Diamond/Thomasville/ Schrock
Wellborn
Merrilat
Decora
Centra
Medallion/Schuler
Omega Dynasty
Showplace/Fieldstone/Starmark
Candlelight
Brookhaven/Cabico/Wellborn/Lifetime/Canyon Creek
Embssy
DuraSupreme
Shiloh
Bertch
Kahles
Crystal
Mouser
DutchMade
Signature/Omega Custom
Plain & Fancy/Quakermade
Crystal
Rutt/Woodmode
Crown Point

Here is a link that might be useful: great thread on cabinet pricing

o

I agree, every manufacturer makes a oak W3630 and a B36, full overlay, raised panel doorstyle, and if you can convince your designer to do a bunch of estimates, than you would have a pretty good idea as to where each company falls.

Don't forget to consider the warranty.

And don't forget to consider how easy it is to install the brand that you choose; some cabinets take more time than others and any savings you see in the quotes are taken up by paying the installer more.

Ask about current promotions. For instance, two of the brands on the list are offering 20% off inset cabinetry, and, depending on the door you chose, up to 20% off other cabinetry.

o

I would probably move Scherrs further down the list, not sure exactly where. They were much more expensive than I was expecting, and that was without installation and shipping costs. My Kraftmaid bid was cheaper. Even my 3 bids from local custom installed cabinets were cheaper for the same thing.

o

FYI - Omega/Embassy/Dynasty are all part of the same cabinet line. In fact, Embassy and Dynasty are IDENTICAL cabinets except for the name. Embassy/Dynasty are just the semi-custom branch. Omega is the full custom branch, with some upgraded construction features.

Is there a Starmark dealer close to you? EXCELLENT product, and they have some amazing incentives right now. 10-15% off the entire line, free 3/4" sides and plywood shelves, and big discounts off specialty finishes.

Might be worth looking into.

o

I would like to see Conestoga Craftsman custom and RTA's on the list. They make the doors for some of the companies toward the bottom of the list as well. I'm not sure but think they would come in a tic before Scherrs in price. My kitchen is two years old and the finishes are still brand new looking.

o

I can tell you that the dealer who quoted me for Conestoga was around $8000 for what was $11,000 + shipping from Scherr's. I think once you paid an installer, Conestoga would be around Shenandoah/Kraftmaid pricing (for likely a better cabinet), but I didn't price out getting Kraftmaid without install, so I'm not sure. Barker Cabinets RTA is probably right around the Conestoga range, but I think you have less options.

o

Great post. My head is spinning. I feel like the more I read, the more choices I want to consider, and getting farther and farther from making a decision. Kitchen remodeling is expensive and you have to look at it and use it everyday. /sigh

o

Mrsjoe, Yes, Conestoga's are far better than Kraftsmaid in quality (although Kraftsmaid is nice). I'm not sure about Shenandoah as I have never seen them. I think quality wise (not price) they fall somewhere between Medallion/Schuler's plywood/wood option and maybe Shiloh or a bit further down the list. My estimate for Medallion in non wood "mdf" boxes came in at $14,000 or just under (forget) and my Conestoga's "all wood" rta's were around $8,000 with shipping. My bill was actually $8,320 I think but I ordered some back-up stain, glaze, paint, varnish and top coat just in case we screwed anything up. The finishes are real nice and I do love the catalyzed varnished interiors and the thick solid wood varnished shelves. I paid and extra $10 for 3/4 inch thick bottoms in my larger drawer bank. It was probably over kill but these babies are solid.

o

I just joined to start this exact thread after reading the 2008 version. And here it was! Thank you - I came up with the same list.

Does anyone know where Woodland cabinetry fits into this?
And HomeCrest wasn't ranked either... just discussed.

o

Thank you for this very helpful list. The next step would seem to be correlating price with quality. We have been looking at Lowes quality (Diamond Relections, Shiloh, Shenandoah, KraftMaid) versus small kitchen design shop quality (Koch, Crystal, DutchMade, Brookhaven, Wood Mode, Quality, Neff). The only OBVIOUS difference we have seen is that Neff is far above the other lines in quality-- and probably well beyond our budget. We are struggling to put together a chart to correlate price and quality in order to decide whether and how much a higher price correlates to a better cabinet. It's extremely time consuming and may or may not tell us anything.

o

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here