Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

Finished Kitchen Pictures!

ayerg73
11 years ago

After over a year of planning and lots of great advice from this forum, it's time for the big reveal! The kitchen is finally finished!!

Ok - here are all the details...

Cabinets - custom builder. Shaker style. Full overlay. Painted cabinets - Colored Lacquer used is same color as SW Impressive Ivory.

Wood cabinets - natural cherry.

Hardware - Amerock Highland Ridge in Dark Oil Rubbed Bronze. 128mm and a few 3" pulls on small drawers.

Countertops - Anasazi Soapstone from The Stone Studio in Batesville, IN

Backsplash Tile - Debris Tile from Fireclay Tile. 2x6 subways in Kelp Green with swirl accents.

Fireplace Tile - Modern Mythology Phoenix Mixed Stone Mosaic

Paint - Walls are SW Krypton. Trim is SW Impressive Ivory at 50% intensity

Floor - Historic Blend Hickory floor from Tennessee Wood Flooring with hand distressing and square nail holes. 3, 4 & 5" planks, mixed.

Range - Bertazzoni Dual Fuel 48" range in black

Hood - Vent a Hood

Dishwasher - Bosch 800 Plus

Microwave - Sharp 24" Drawer

Sink - Blanco Silgranit Super single in Anthracite

Faucet - Grohe Concetto in Chrome

Soap Dispenser - Elkay Deluxe in Chrome

UCL - Neutral White LED strips from Environmental Lights

Pendants - Kichler Sayre 12" in ORB

Chandelier - Murry Feiss Sullivan Collection in ORB

The old kitchen was not in a terrible state, it was just not functional for us. The double ovens wouldn't close and we'd been reduced to duct taping them closed. The cooktop didn't cook anything evenly and the tile was coming up. There was also a ton of wasted space, which just irritated me when I couldn't find a place to store anything.

I knew I wanted a traditional range because I have short arms and always worried about burning myself when getting things out of the wall ovens, so I knew that a layout change was in order. We also had a very dark space with almost no natural light. We opened up the room to the dining room and put in light colored cabinets with lots of great lighting. The room definitely doesn't feel dark anymore. YAY!

Here's what we were working with before:

And here's what we have now...

Love the dog food storage. It makes feeding time a whole lot easier.

And my spice/knife drawer - thanks to Breezy for the idea!

It seems like just about every decision in our space has been touched in some way by you guys. Thanks for helping us create our dream kitchen!

Comments (85)

• deedles
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nicely done! Green tile is lovely... love the blue on the walls, too.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Great job! All the details are beautiful.

• raenjapan
    11 years ago

LOVE! I'm wild about those tiles. Everything else is also completely fabulous, but that color green is my fav.

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

Wow! Love the backsplash tile! i can't believe its the same kitchen!

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Oh my, that is amazingly beautiful! I love the combo of your green backsplash with the soapstone. It is really striking!

I cannot even believe that is the same space! Even though I thought your "before" kitchen was really nice, this one is just fantastic!

Congratulations on such a wonderful transformation!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Beautifully done! You thought of everything. I like the change in your fireplace to coordinate with your cabinets. It is a spacious kitchen in a peaceful setting. Enjoy!!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Love that huge Berta, backsplash, everything!!!! ENJOY

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I LOVE THIS KITCHEN!!! When I read your details, I was bummed that you didn't use the Vihara Karuna, but then saw that amazing green tile. Wow! Your kitchen really brings the palette of the outdoors in with the green tile, the soft blue walls, and the black accents. But it still looks very polished, not rustic. It's really wonderful -- contratulations!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Wow. Love it.

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the colors and how functional it is.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

So beautiful! I especially love the new seating area, I could look out at that fabulous view forever with Bambi running by! Great choices, the floor is a wonderful change and ties everything together so well. Congratulations and enjoy!

• secondcup
    11 years ago

Wonderful! Love the choice of color, too. Congrats.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. You guys are so sweet!

fouramblues - I know - I really loved that other tile too! It's funny how one element completely changes the whole feel of the room. I think this tile gives everything such a casual feel. I guess, in the end, that cozy feeling is what I was really after.

• finestra
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the lines of the kitchen. So clean yet warm! Enjoy!

• jgopp
    11 years ago

Love the cab color and the green accents. The opening up of the floor and bringing in the heaps of natural light looks incredible. Great job.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I love it! I love your tile. I love it all. Great job!

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

It's great! The cabs + green backsplash + soapstone = fantastic! I really love the tile you chose. Congrats and enjoy!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I love it! The colors perfectly tie into your outdoor space! Bravo!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Just lovely! Huge smile on this end as I look and read. Love the natural light and the green backsplash is just perfect. Green has been one of my inspiration tile colors all along and so far is absent... your kitchen reminds me of how much I love it. I have rooms with green walls which are very cheerful; it's a way of bringing the outdoors, inside. Congrats!!!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Ah HA!
    I knew I'd seen your thread and kitchen somewhere.
    I found it.
    >>Countertops - Anasazi Soapstone from The Stone Studio in Batesville, IN I'm going to send this to my Granite Grannies, who let me pay on account towards my stone. I really want to see this!

Thanks,
    Christine

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Your before kitchen didn't look bad at all but wow did you ever improve it. Everything goes together so nicely. Love the new wood floors and the cherry island. They add so much warmth to the room. Your backsplash is beautiful. I have a nice bumped out sitting area in my kitchen and while my view is okay, it's nowhere near as gorgeous as yours. That was a great idea to have a window seat there. I imagine the extra storage is nice too.
    Congratulations on your new kitchen.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Just saw the added pics of the beautiful view with deer and the window seat!!! Perfect compliment to a great kitchen!

BTW, you finished before I did!!! Glad you are already enjoying full swing!

We are still in the middle of painting...kitchen, breakfast room, family room, dining room, foyer and stairwell upto the second floor hall... the kitchen is 95% functional, as we are still waiting for the gas company to connect the meter and for a new downdraft to be delivered. We are sooo close but not done enough to share yet...hopefully in the next couple of weeks...and hope everyone will like it!

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

clarygrace - painting was the WORST part for me. I wasn't a fan of the painting crew and we were painting about the same amount - kitchen, breakfast room, laundry room, family room, dining room, foyer, hall, master bedroom and part of the basement. What a pain! Not to mention trying to keep kids and pets away from all that wet paint.

I was wondering how you've been getting along. Glad you got that downdraft replaced. I figured it delayed you a little.

You're in the home stretch! Can't wait to see pictures!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Wow Wow Wow.
    BEAUTIFUL colors, cabinets, soapstone & backsplash. The deck and sliding doors off the kitchen are so nice. I can smell the grill right now....mmmm
    You are going to have some fun parties in that space !

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

YOUR KITCHEN IS SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!! How wonderful that you finally get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You did a fantastic job of keeping if fresh, comfortable and inviting. KUDOS!!!

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

What a fabulous kitchen. Love the counters and the amount of counters as well. The green tile turned out perfectly! Enjoy!

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Love what you did. The kitchen is beautiful. What a difference.

I'm curious about bringing the kitchen into the dining area. Did you do away with a formal dining room?

We are buying a house with a similar layout as your old kitchen. The only way to enlarge would be to go into the dining room.

Thanks and congratulations!
    Jane

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jane - actually, I didn't bring the kitchen into the dining room. My original floorplan had basically two spaces for a breakfast nook, which left a ton of open space. I brought the kitchen down to where our eat in table was and then used the previous empty space for our window seat and table.

(The last family used that space for an oversized couch and TV. It was just weird! :)

Honestly, we almost never used our dining room for eating. We do use it for board games and puzzles, but not much for eating. Now that the kitchen has direct access, we might use it more, but probably only for holidays and gatherings.

Here's an angle that might help...

You can see the dining room table peeking out on the right hand side, hopefully. (with a board game sitting on it, of course. HA!) And all that wonderful natural light too - YAY!

Do you think you could live without a formal space? We aren't a formal family, so I don't think it would bother me one bit.

HTH!! Good luck!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

your kitchen is so charming. the counters are beautiful. also, your views are incredible! i would love to be able to see deer like that.
    a little off topic, but i was wondering for your dog food storage, does the lid pop up automatically when you pull it out, or do you have to lift it up by hand? i am looking for a lid that will open up by itself for my trash bins.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michoumonster - no, sorry. It's just a flip up lid. I think it's the standard lid for the rev-a-shelf trash cans.

It works great in this instance, though, because I was always getting onto my son for never closing up the dog food. Now he doesn't have a choice unless he just leaves the entire cabinet open. (I'm waiting for that to happen actually!)

My cabinet builder told me that Blum is coming out with voice activated cabinets soon! Maybe they'll have something cool for you!

• owataqt
    11 years ago

Awesome job...gorgeous
    Love it all

• formerlyflorantha
    11 years ago

Of all the features it seems to me that changing the layout and grouping the activities in a different way makes the most difference. A textbook example in considering walkpath usage! Nice job!

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

Ayerg, I love all of it.. the natural green-blue-reddish brown colors countered with the contrast of the black and white, the strong shape of the hardware, the overall warmth, and that gorgeous backsplash. I keep coming back to this thread. Gorgeous and great job!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Wow, I was on vacation the first time this made the rounds! Gorgeous and functional. Nice job.

• abctate
    11 years ago

WOW! It looks beautiful! You did a fab job! Love the backsplash and of course the beautiful island! ENJOY!!!!

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    11 years ago

LOVE everything about your amazing kitchen!!!.....even the view from the windows! I backed into your post accidentally when researching Fireclay Tile. So glad I did!

Do you mind sharing the width of the galley aisle?

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

emmachas - the aisle width on both sides is 42" before countertops.

• teruko
    11 years ago

ayerg73 - Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen. I love your soapstone counters.

Is the Anasazi soapstone black when oiled or does it also show some green markings?

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Terzen - The soapstone is charcoal/black when it's oiled, but the veins are definitely green. Some are as dark as the backsplash. There are also some rust colored veins in mine as well.

Hope that helps!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I must have missed this, it's beautiful. Love the range!

• sarends
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is so simple, yet bold - does that make sense?

GREAT job - it feels like someone poured their heart and soul into this design!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Holy smokes, how did I miss this kitchen? It is lovely, and I love the soapstone with the green backsplash. Wonderful.

• Terri
    11 years ago

OP hopefully you will see this as this is a beautiful kitchen redo! What type of container did you use for the dog food?

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

so beautiful~

• sqp1015
    11 years ago

I also missed this back in May, and am so happy that it reappeared - ayerg73, what a beautiful job! Love the green backsplash & bet it's perfect in person with the soapstone veining. If you're still available for questions, I'd be really interested in how that l-o-n-g island is working now that you've been living with & using it for a while. We're planning one also and would appreciate your experienced comments. Your kitchen is truly lovely - an inspiring transformation!

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all the nice replies! I'm afraid I've been MIA from GW for awhile now that the project is done.

terri0826 - The dog food is in the Single Bottom Mount Rev-A-Motion Wood Waste Container. It works amazingly well. There's even a little area behind the container to put dog treats. It's been such a handy thing to have!

JBGB - I love, love, LOVE my island!!! Cooking at Christmas time was such a treat this year. We had visitors and there was actually a moment when I looked up and realized that 4 different people were working on 4 different things all at the same time and nobody was tripping over anyone else. Having all that counter space is my single favorite thing about the kitchen. (2nd being the tile - it makes me smile everyday! :)

The only issue we have is that things can get tight at the end by the fridge, sink, micro when we are getting dinner ready - the plates and silverware are in drawers on that end of the island and the kids are walking into that area to get drinks, etc... It's not a huge deal, and is only really a problem because of a miscommunication with the builder - it was supposed to be 9" shorter. But, all in all, it makes cooking a lot more enjoyable for me.

I am happy that the island is narrow too. We can stand on the back and use the faucet if needed. That's been a surprise convenience that I really appreciate.

Hope that answers your question!

• sqp1015
    11 years ago

Thank you, ayerg73 - you certainly answered my question and I'm so glad that your kitchen is such a pleasure to work in! Big congratulations on being able to use the phrase "now that the project is done", and for such a gorgeous result!!

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

It's so beautiful! Love that long island...it looks like you could cook forever :)

• halfwaythere
    11 years ago

stunning stunning stunning! Love the countertops especially!