Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shapco

Show me your message center!

shapco
14 years ago

We are finalizing our design tomorrow and I would appreciate your thoughts on designing a message center where we can charge our cell phones, keep a calendar, keys and all other small stuff (stamps, tape, pens, paper). These things would either go into a base cabinet or wall cabinet, or perhaps be split between the 2 for easy access for our kids. The cabinets would be somewhere between 18 to 24 inches (TBD) wide. Because there's no off-the-shelf cabinet that does this, I'd appreciate your ideas and pictures for designing this space. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• kelleg69
    14 years ago

I don't have a pic right now. We put one in our mudroom right where we come in from garage. It is like a desk without the place to sit. Has cubbies, drawers and wall cabinets. I know, though, that paper will accumulate in my kitchen too. So, I put a cabinet in there that has shelves and a door below. I think we will have a phone there and I am sure some papers.

I will try to take pictures to show you.

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

Hi, this isn't my message center, but a picture I found on a woodworking site (I can find the link if you want). I was going to talk to GC about doing in the hall right outside the kitchen, but now, due to Kompy :-), I'm thinking of doing a colonnade.

What I wasn't thrilled about with this design is that there is no place for the phone! I had started sketching out a copy of this, but with the phone installed in the upper right quadrant, and space to hang a calendar underneath. I think I would paint the door of the cabinet with chalkboard paint so that you could jot a message or reminder on it.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I know this isn't what you had in mind, but here's ours. We had originally planned a Message Center similar to what you're describing, but due to measuring errors on our KD's part, we had to eliminate it. Instead, we created a "Message Center Niche" recessed into the pantry wall.

If we had made it the full height of the wall, we might have been able to fit other things as well...but we didn't think about that at the time! Oh well!

• katiee511
    14 years ago

This is our future message center area

Yes, that is the same calendar frame as in Buehl's picture :) She was kind enough to share with me where she got it because I loved it so much!

We are still 'in progress' in this picture. The calendar has since been mounted on the wall and once our painting is done, the left wall will be corkboard fitted around the phone for appt cards and things like that. We didn't put in a wall cabinet, because this was a dreaded "black hole" area and we wanted it as open as we could. The top two drawers in the base cabinet are fitted with organisers and we keep paper, pens, keys, scissors, small tools, etc in it. So far, it is working great for us.

• teacup_princess
    14 years ago

Here is an early reveal of mine. We're not done with our kitchen yet so I don't have drawer pulls/finishing touches but you'll get the idea. I don't know if it's larger than what you had in mind- The bottom cabinet is an 18 inch file cabinet and the top cabinet is 10 inches (the first cubby has a power strip for charging cell phones, ect). The desk area is 24x24. We plan to hang a message board/calendar on the side of the cabinet just to the left of the desk. So far I LOVE this area. It's the most used spot in the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• shapco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and pictures! I like the niche idea as it lets you put the calendar at writing height and it carves out a specific area. I also like the calendar frame as it provides a pocket for some paper and pens. Buehl and Katiee51, would you mind sharing the source for the frame?

Buehl -- for your niche, is it built into the end of your pantry, or next to your pantry. I'm trying to visualize how we might adapt this idea. We have a 7 foot wall that will include a 28 inch wide pantry and then base cabinets and wall cabinets. I'm including a rough diagram below. The height between the upper and lower cabinets is too small for a calendar, so the only other thing I can visualize is hanging it on the end of the wall cabinet.

Any other suggestions? Thank you all for your help!!!

• kelleg69
    14 years ago

Ok, I took pictures of mine.

Here is what is in our mudroom--it doesn't show bottom drawer--which is big enough for files.

And this the space I kept in the kitchen for phone. It is turned away from the rest of the kitchen, so you won't see the clutter. It is next to my fridge. I will probably put pretty stuff and cookbooks in the shelves.

• shapco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Teacup Princess and Kelleg for sharing your photos and ideas. I think I'm now leaning towards something that meshes together both of your layouts. I would like to have the cubby spaces in the top cabinet and drawers in the bottom cabinet. At the side of the pantry adjacent to the top and bottom cabinets we could hang a calendar and message board.

I'd appreciate any other feedback as this is still a work in progress until tonight, when we need to finalize our design!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

It's from Calendars.com (note the plural...)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrought Iron Leaves Calendar Frame

• malhgold
    14 years ago

kelleg - can you tell me what the width and depth is of this phone area in your kitchen? thanks!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Here's a similar thread from Fall 2008...

Let me see your: Message Center.....http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0918462731240.html?23

And a couple from early this year that have some info/tips about what to put in a Message Center and/or desk area...

Kitchen Message Center Help.....http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0210024623230.html

Kitchen Desk Design Tips?.....http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0115562024641.html

• shapco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your generous time and comments. We have finalized our plans and will be going with cubbies and power strip in the upper cabinet, all which will be hidden behind the cabinet door. Then we'll have a file cabinet and draw below. Still haven't figured where to hang the calendar, but why sweat the small stuff! :) I'm sure we'll find a spot.

• kelleg69
    14 years ago

Malhgold, I am pretty sure the depth is 12 inches. It is about 24 wide. Would that make sense? As you see, it is next to the spot where the fridge will be--Thermador columns. How deep are they? 24? 22? Whatever they are is the same width as my cabinet. Hope that helps.

We don't normally charge our phones in these types of areas, so I didn't worry too much about that. I did want a spot for the regular phone and a message pad, etc. I do have an outlet in there, though.

• msgreatdeals
    14 years ago

We have just started our remodel and so mine is still on paper and hopefully to be completed in another 6 weeks. This is probably larger than you want. This is a desk with cabinets above and below.
    {{!gwi}}

• shapco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks msgreatdeals. I like your layout. Our prior kitchen had a desk area, and I know lots of folks like this type of are, but for us, it was a wasted space. In our remodel we decided to do away with the desk, while still keeping a landing area for bills, papers, phones, and stuff. We're ending up with a 49" wide area. I also like the idea that our cabinet designer came up -- having cubby space behind the cabinet door so the mess is concealed.

Good luck!

• msgreatdeals
    14 years ago

Landing area sounds good. I never had a desk before and everything ended up on the bar......what a mess that was! I'm for hiding it too. :-)