Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beadboard Backsplash & wood hood- your thoughts?

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 17:07

Although I'm not up to the backsplash (demo hasn't even started) I am "pre-planning" and wondering what you think about beadboard backsplashes?
Are they difficult to clean (grooves)? I assume they are less expensive than tile or am I wrong?

In my inspiration photo, I love the cottage look it gives but wonder if I should just do a white subway tile?

We may put beadboard in the glass cabs or maybe one of my fabrics...

Also we are doing a wood hood so I wasn't sure if beadboard would be a problem behind the cooktop? I should say in my inspiration photo Betsy Speert the designer used a stainless backsplash & hood but since we are doing an induction cooktop I don't think that would look good. **Would a stainless hood and backsplash work if you don't have range???

Here is my inspiration photo and then my layout:

kit-yel-brocadewallpaper-435

Ignore the windows and fridge style (below)... We'll also have some glass uppers somewhere in the "L".
Guerrero Update2

Guerrero Update3

Using some of these things...

images

DSC09526.JPG

DSC09272.JPG

s7208c

chrome pull

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beadboard Backsplash & wood hood- your thoughts?

Hi 2littlefishies
Love that photo and those fabrics! How about ceramic bead board ? It is easy to clean no problem if it gets wet. SusieQusie used it. I'm considering it since I don't want so much grout on the BS, it's already enough to deal with in the bathroom. I'm also ordering bead board from the cabinet company for three open cabinets. The fabrics would look great too. How would you put them in the cabinets so that you could change them out ? Mount them on a board or something similar ?

Here is a link that might be useful: ceramic beadboard thread

o

Oooh! Didn't even know that existed! I'll definitely check into it : )
I guess you'd use regular beadboard for the open cabinets?
Yes, I think the fabrics would get mounted to a board somehow...

Also wondering if the beadboard in the glass uppers should be white like my cabs or the same yellow using below... I'm thinking white and then putting in yellow accents (bowls, vases, etc.)

o

Not sure if you mentioned this before but will the glass be clear so that you can see the bead board? I wouldn't pay extra for the bead board if only you will see it. Check with the cabinet company and see what the upgrade "finished insides" look like. You may decide you don't need it depending on the glass and using that beautiful fabric.

I'm using English Flemish glass and had all white interiors(glass, wood door, open cupboard) finished inside. The bead board for the open cupboards/small pantry is expensive IMHO but it makes it look so finished. I know I didn't need to get the closed cabinets finished inside but they are uppers so more noticeable to potential buyers and me. I wanted them as bright as possible.

o

Wow! That ceramic beadboard is wonderful! Great find, SusieQusie...that's what I want in both bathrooms...and maybe the utility room, too :)

Fishies- Marcolo said something very true about your kitchen...it should always be cute. It's what fits your house and I think it's good advice. So, thinking with that idea in mind, I would say beadboard ceramic tile is perfect and I'd use wood beadboard in the glass upper cabinets, too.

I think the fabric (unless you find something more like a small gingham or narrow stripe) will be too bold for your cute kitchen. If you use the fabric pendant lights, I'd keep the fabric on the valances, cushions, pillows, etc...especially in the dining room. That will make that side feel more formal, even though it's all one big space. Just my two cents :)

o

jjdcl says she has beadboard with subways behind stovetop and sink. I'm curious to see the two together... Anyone have any pics??

Thanks lavender! I totally agree with you about the cute and I think the beadboard would be great! Now that I know about the ceramic I'm feeling much more inclined to go in that direction : ) Same for cabinets. We're on the same page. I asked Betsy Speert her opinion on several lights (thought she didn't post them on her blog) and the fabrics etc... Here was her response. I'm the first one.

PS- White beadboard in cabs, right? Then add yellow accent pieces? That's what I'm thinking anyway : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Betsy's Q&A Tuesdays

o

I saw a really cute board and batten and tile backsplash in the Diamond Cabinetry catalog that I picked up at Lowe's. I have a small photo of it (which I hope will upload), but the catalog shows the entire kitchen. They tiled behind the range and the sink. There are DIY directions on the internet, and Houzz has a lot of board and batten photos, including a gorgeous bathroom done in it.

o

OK, so I'm looking at my kitchen diagrams above... I can picture the bb backsplash with an edge/cap on it around the kitchen- the window will be counter height.

***However, what happens above the cooktop????

o

Fishies.
I think BB would be terrific in your kitchen. I wish it worked for mine!
No grout lines!

o

2littlefishes, We have a beadboard backsplash and wood hood in our kitchen with a ceramic cooktop stove. We have no problem with cleanup. Used BM Advance paint and it washes up beautifully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beadboard backsplash

o
cap molding

oldhouse- Thanks! Yours is one of my favorite kitchens : )

mayflowers- thanks! I'm not too familiar with board and batten

a2gemini- No grout would be great!

OK, I think my question 3 posts up had to do with having a cap molding, but now I see that sometimes people don't have that. I do like the cap molding but maybe it depends where you are using it. I found some photos of various kitchens with beadboard and how it is treated differently.

IMG_0115

bs kitchen

135952482470755840_6ljHpFaJ_c

lisa_kitchen_beadboard_backsplash

kitchen7

kitchen-2

oldhouse1
oldhousegal

This one shows the upper cab with a colored beadboard:
beadboard-cabinet

o

Well 2littlefishes the backsplash decision is a big one. One down 50 more to go ! Are you using the wallpaper from the inspiration photo as Betsy suggests ? I'm not ready to order that BS yet, if you get a sample can you post how you like it ? Your idea about fabric inside the cabinets has gotten me thinking...

o

EATREALFOOD- Well, Betsy suggested using the yellow bird print as wallpaper, but it isn't wallpaper, it's FABRIC. So, I don't know. I don't have very much wall space so I may look for a wallpaper like she used in her photo. I just know my dh hates wallpaper and it's a pain to change out vs. painting.
I won't be ordering BS for quite awhile. But if I get any samples I'll let you know for sure! : )

***Under the cabinets, in the baking and L can I still use cap molding? I like the way it finishes off the beadboard but I see most of the pics I posted above doesn't use it.
I really like the 3rd pic I posted above (bananas/orange on counter). What kind of tiles are those over range? Maybe I can even do something like that over the cooktop? Although those are probably not easy to clean.

o
arabesque

What do you think about Arabesque in my kitchen? To me, It is feminine and more interesting than subway. Would it work alone or even in a combo with ceramic beadboard-- like behind the cooktop? I just love it- maybe it's the formal/sparkly side of me trying to jump out!

Where's marcolo??????????

IMG_9547

bee's kitchen:
beveled-arabesque-maria-beck-3-1024x682

o

Hey 2littlefishies, I just read through here and wanted to let you know you can use fabric as wallpaper. I know one person who did it in her dining room, below her chair rail. I'm sure you can find directions on-line, but it involves a glue-water mixture that you paint right over the material.

The other thing you could do is tack the fabric in place or adhere it to a light thin foam board, cut to fit the back of your cabs, and pop it in there. Then you could swap it out for something else if you grew tired of it.

o
RE: fabric wallpaper

Here is the first of a b'zillion hits on google :) I'll just "paste" it here...

012109_kitchen.jpg

These days we've been searching around for removable or reversible design ideas. Not so much because we rent but because we have a hard time committing; we like knowing we can change our minds. This is the main reason we've avoided any kind of wallpaper. It's normally expensive, hard to put up an then, sort of permanent. But after reading about a way to make removable wallpaper our of fabric we already own, we're definitely warming to the idea, especially for a small area that would benefit from a little something something and not take 4 days to accomplish:

We've read rave reviews of mixing lightweight fabric with starch and applying it to walls. We don't have the courage to try this in an entire room, but for an accent wall or the space beneath a window, it could be perfect. And since the adhesive is starch, mixing a bit of water when you're done will help it pull right off.

Supplies:
lightweight fabric with a pattern and palette you love
(for some inspiration check out these etsy sellers, these eco friendly fabrics and this post on how to stamp your own fabric)
fabric starch
sponge or paint roller
pan

To Install Fabric Wallpaper (Linit Craft Ideas):
1. Wash the wall to remove any dirt or film.
2. Measure from the floor to the ceiling and add a couple extra inches. Cut the fabric accordingly. If fabric has a design, be sure to match the design before cutting the next panel as when using wallpaper.
3. Pour starch into a clean pan or spray on if using stiffener (see Tip section if using spray stiffener). Apply starch to the top half of the wall with a sponge, paint roller or spray on if using spray stiffener.
4. Smooth fabric into place at the top of the wall, leaving about one inch to be trimmed later. Use push pins to hold the fabric temporarily in place. Apply more starch going down the wall as needed until you get to the floor, leave approximately one inch overlap at floor level.
5. Apply starch to the top of the fabric, brushing and smoothing the fabric in place to remove bubbles and wrinkles. Be sure the starch penetrates the fabric evenly.
6. Work your way down the panel, continuing to sponge or spray starch onto the wall, smoothing the fabric, and applying more starch.
7. Position the second panel, matching the design along the edge. Repeat steps.
8. Around windows and doors, leave a one inch overlap as with the ceiling and floor.
9. Fabric overlap should be cut when the fabric is completely dry. It will then cut clean and easily and any shrinkage will have occurred before you trim.

To Remove Fabric From Wall:
Peel one corner loose, then gently begin to peel the fabric off of the wall panel by panel. If the fabric does not peel easily, dampen the fabric with water using a wet sponge and it should come right off.

Has anyone tried this? Have any tips to share?

[Image from Madison and Grow]

Here are some of the other reversible design ideas for renters we've posted on Apartment Therapy.

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric as wallpaper

o

Fishies- I do not agree with this Betsy person...that fabric is beautiful, but too strong a pattern, for all your walls. I would use the patterns in the dining room and maybe the yellow/birds, for the kitchen valance. Think cute, cottage, cape cod...not old world, castle, elaborate. Too many over the top details and you'll lose your cute/cottage look. And, I wish Marcolo would chime in, because he's the one who recommended this look for your house! :)

As for fabric on walls, this is usually done in formal dining rooms, ladies' dressing rooms, maybe a study...places where the fabric won't get greasy or dirty too easily. Sarah Richardson used fabric in her farmhouse remodel (for the dining room) but only on the top 1/3 of the wall, because she didn't want handprints on the fabric. Here's a picture...

From Farmhouse plans

o

Hi lavender
I agree. Not doing fabric and I'll use it for window treatments and accessories (placemats etc)

I think beadboard inside cabs will be better than fabrics as well.

Is the arabesque tile of the question? one of my words is "feminine "
And I don't think it's over the top?

o

Ceramic beadboard? Can someone post a link to this? Thanks!

o

windycity- it's in the 2nd post above : )

o

I adore that beadboard tile- I am still sad that I saw it only AFTER I installed my backsplash. It is still my back up plan if I ever get the chance to pull out the tile that I put in. I think it would look amazing with the look you are going for in your kitchen 2little!

o

To me, the beadboard tile works better for you than real beadboard. Personally I hate seeing Victorian-era beadboard slapped up in postwar houses. The tile is sort of a twist on it, though, which freshens it.

Grab some samples, put the beadboard behind you and move on to looking for an alternative backsplash tile. Then when everything is installed you have ideas and options at the ready, and won't come screaming on here yelling, "O no! I forgot to pick a backsplash!"

I would not like to see the bird fabric right behind your drum shade, btw. In the other thread I suggested it for draperies, which I think would be OK because it's a smaller expanse.

o

Thanks marcolo-

Is the arabesque a possibility? If not , subways?

Also regarding bird fabric the kitchen window is behind the island. Are u saying that won't work bc you wouldn't want to see the bird and the drum damask print close to each other? Not sure of your point there.

I am also exploring doing the pendant in the medallion fabric I have. (or the birds?). Would you suggest doing the kitchen balance in the yellow bird, let's say and the drums in the medallion or other of my fabrics?

o

Fishies- I like the arabesque, but not for your kitchen. It's old world again (IMHO) and doesn't fit your cottage style. I think you need to look at each element and say...would this work in a cottage home? Granted the marble and some of the fabrics are a little fancier, but I think you have a 'fancy cottage' style :)

However, the more you get away from your basic idea, I think you start to lose focus...and it will seem a bit thrown together. Subway tile is a possiblity, but I think the ceramic beadboard tile would be my first choice. I'd use it in my kitchen, if I didn't already have my 'bunny tile' (LOL) but it's my first choice for the bathrooms!

o

Long-time lurker--had to make an account just to ask about those gorgeous, gorgeous fabrics. Please share where you found them or what manufacturer makes them; they are just lovely.

o

knemb- They are Joel Dewberry Fabrics-- Aviary2.
Here's a link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Joel Dewberry

o

Here are all of them:

AV_Sparrows_G

AV_Sparrows2_G

AV_Damask_G

AV_Damask2_G

AV_LodgeLattice_G

AV_Scrollwork_G

AV_Bloom_G

AV_Woodgrain_G

o

lavender- gotcha on the arabesque. I guess b/c I don't see Bee's kitchen as old world... but I know what you're saying. I think it's pretty so thought it might work.

"Fancy Cottage" I like that! BUT, I know- no dancing candlesticks!

I'm going to go to a store by me tomorrow that says they have ceramic beadboard. A Different one said they did but when I went it wasn't right. It was wide planks- definitely more for a bathroom.

Love your bunny tile- I hope you bought some so it doesn't get discontinued on you!

Thanks- Hope I'm not making you nuts. I just like to explore various options so in the end I can feel confident that I thought it all through : ) no fear there I guess!

o
shades

This place will make a shade with any of my fabrics if I should decide to go that route...

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Shades NY

o

I love the look of beadboard in a kitchen. I had an ugly popcorn ceiling that I removed and covered with beadboard. I am also going with a beadboard backsplash above a 4 inch granite strip. My cabinet doors have beadboard panels. It has a cottage look to it.

o

I like dancing candlesticks! Especially when they have a French accent :)

Actually my 'bunny tile' artist passed away, before I even found the tile, online. I'm going to use it as an inspiration for my artist friend...when I get to the point that I want to paint tile. I wish I had the talent to paint it myself.

o

Just Shades was on Saturday Night Live years ago, along with Just Bulbs.

I'd seriously consider a custom shade from the same fabric line. Remember you need a diffuser on the bottom. Of course I do this the cheap way--I bought cheapo shades and glued Japanese paper from Paper Source on them. They look great but getting the seams and roll-overs right almost sent me on a rampage through Michael's.

That wood fabric is kind of cool--keep that in your pocket if you need a less busy pattern somewhere.

Also, bring home samples of wider planks. I was just going to suggest that--maybe it will look like a fresh take on knotty pine panelling without the ugly parts. Remember, your house was built in the 1950s, not the 1850s or the 1750s.

o

Yes, That's what I'm thinking. Getting my drum pendants and getting them re-done in one of my fabrics. I'm thinking the medallion and then maybe the bird for the window valance, but lmk if you don't agree.

The pendants are from Lamps Plus and you can choose one of several designs. It's a computer generated print that is on a very heavy paper/board and then they glue it onto a plastic form (shade) and put edges on it. Looking at the one I have I could probably take it apart myself.

Also went to tile store who had some ceramic beadboard and a couple of other things. I'm thinking of what I can put behind the cooktop if I don't continue the beadboard (it's only 20" high and then there is a seam)... The salesperson mentioned doing a slab of my Danby marble under the hood.

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

Another brand:

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

OTHER STUFF:

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

o

Oh my gosh...I love this tile! So much for the bead board! LOL

From Cottage house plans

And this is my choice for the light...

From Cottage house plans

And favorite fabrics...starting with the bird fabrics.

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

Then the flowers...

From Cottage house plans

And for a little 'fancy' for your 'fancy cottage' style.

From Cottage house plans

The other ones are nice, but might be too traditional/old world...but used in smaller amounts, might make nice accent pillows. These are my favorites, though :)

o

Ha! Too funny! The salesperson showed that to me when I mentioned the possibility of using tin squares under the hood... She say, "Oooh, I have something that may work!" She meant in between the beadboard though.. She actually thought the beadboard was a good direction and helped steer me away from anything too glam.

I love the bird fabrics too! I really like the black b/c it's so striking but I think it may be too dark for the lights. Maybe somewhere small. We shall see!

Thanks for your thoughts : )

o
Upper cabinets and fabrics

Fishies- I thought about painted tin ceiling tiles for your backsplash...but thought it would be too much work and might not be easy to clean. That explains why the tiles look so good. I think they go beautifully with your fabrics and you do seem to like some curves, rather than all straight lines. Me, too!

I think the black bird fabric would be very pretty, especially in the dining room. If you bring in more black, I think this fabric would look great, on some cushions.

From Cottage house plans

As for your upper cabinets, rather than add beadboard or fabric...why not paint the backs yellow? Then you'll bring up the yellow from the lower cabinets and any dishes will look good. Eaiser, cheaper and a nice splash of color! :)

o

So, you'd say (at this moment, but I won't hold you to it!) to do the square tiles everywhere- no bead board? They are beautiful but I didn't know if they were too fancy like the arabesque. I can see now though that the square shape with the curvy lines could work. : )

Maybe I could do the black bird fabric on the window seat cushion : )

I've been thinking a lot about those upper- especially with regard to color. I was first thinking yellow beadboard like the way the color is added here (but yellow)
beadboard-cabinet

However, I am leaning towards keeping a white beadboard b/c I might rather add yellow accents on the shelves and if I do yellow background that will be too much. I am doing dishes in a drawer so won't really put dishes unless I find a couple of pretty ones just for display. Some ideas...

il_570xN.151159815

41O-VFGCFIL

il_570xN.80661799

il_570xN.329650766

These aren't my things... just photos-- except for the colander : )

BTW, the 6'6" window will be counter height so no backsplash there and the cabinet to the left of the fridge MAY come down to the counter with an appliance garage.

o

Actually I like the black on the shade. And those tiles LL pointed out are da bomb. Keep them in the pile. You know that putting beadboard in your house is naughty, don't you?

Are you having cutout valances, over either windows or bookcases? You both need and deserve them. Don't make them too Victorianified or Frenchified--make them cute and sweet.

o

marcolo- I didn't until yesterday. But everyone keeps saying to go with bead board : ) lol If you have any other pics of directions to go that would be fun.

Doing valances over kitchen window and bay window seat in dining area but have no idea yet what they'll look like but figured I'd use my fabrics. What does a "cutout" valance look like?

It's one room-- here's a reminder--- The windows on the right wall are small awning windows that will be up higher over banquette:
kitchen4-4-12 1

PS- So glad we're "talking" again, marcolo. So is lavender... LOL

o

As I said, I'm a lot happier to see the BB tile than I would actual BB. But those damask tiles are really cool, and might echo some of your fabrics as long as everything doesn't get too crazy.

Cutouts? Look at your inspiration pic, at the top of the open shelf cabinet. Cutout. I was talking about wooden valances rather than fabric. I thought you were doing a curved wooden valance over the sink window or something?

o

OH, yes I was thinking of that a while back but then thought against it but nothing has been decided in stone! I thought the arch was a "no-no" and then a decorator mentioned just doing a fabric window treatment there. Also the window is about 6 1/2 feet so it would be kind of large.
The price my cabinet maker quoted included doing a wooden valance so that's not an issue.

I'll take a look at some and post so you can lmk what you think. Would I put fabric behind it?

o

Remember my original inspiration? I'm pretty far from that now-- : )

o

Good!

You don't have to use wooden cutouts. I would just avoid straight-line wooden valances, if you do have any wooden valances. But girly wooden cutouts fit the cottagey vibe and are also very appropriate for your house style.

o

Crossville also has a nice bead board tile. I used it in my bathroom. Scroll down to the Savoy series.

Love reading about your kitchen and looking forward to seeing it finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beadboard tile

o

redlover- thanks! I can't wait until it's finished either. Actually, can't wait til it starts! ha!

Hey guys- I have to choose a fabric for a custom banquette piece I'm going to have made. "My" fabrics are just quilt/curtain fabric. I assume they wouldn't be the best for a piece of furniture that will be used to sit at regularly and for eating as well. I'll have to find something else I guess for that. Maybe a stain resistant/sunbrella something in a solid color?

Here's the piece... it will be about 8' long. I though it would be nice under the awning windows instead of a built in bench. (The bay window will have a window seat).

o
bench

784_v592-se

o

bumping above post... Also, The cabinet guy I've been working with just told me he can't do our kitchen b/c he is totally booked all summer and we thought we'd originally be finished by now. Nightmare- now we're back to interviewing.

o

Fishies- Sorry I missed your earlier post...I do love the tile and think you should use them! I will commit to them if you will! LOL

From Cottage house plans

It's more like a floral and curvey, but not too formal. The arabesque seems more 'old world' and I think it would have looked beautiful in your original kitchen. I liked those pendants, too...but it's a different style. You're still keeping the curves but they're softer and more informal...but still a little fancy. Does that make sense?

That being said, the beadboard might be too 'linear' in your kitchen. I really like that first yellow glass vase you showed...and I think that would be beautiful...but maybe just have a white background, not beadboard.

I like the bench! The sunbrella fabric is a great idea and I like the yellow or soft cream color, to pick up the colors in your other fabrics.

Too bad about the cabinet guy...but maybe you'll get some great 'cottage ideas' from your new interviewees :)

o

Thanks lavender! I have another tile place to go to so I'm going to see if I find some that are similar to the one above just for some options. I also didn't ask the price of them but why should that matter? lol : ) I see what you mean about the arabesque and the previous inspiration kitchen and this one being more informal but still some fancy.

Would you say my kitchen will be similar to my present inspiration but less cottage? Or, maybe more fancy cottage? lol The beadboard seems to work well in the inspiration photo, no?

OH-- one more thing, I love turquoise with the yellow but am scared to scatter that into my accent pieces as my fabrics don't have any aqua... What do you think? Add turquoise or just stick to yellow (with my fabrics)

Sugar Bowl:
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/870076.jsp?null

One Sky and One Yellow Bowl:
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-kitchen/24336646.jsp

One Sky and One Yellow Spice Jar:
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/23864820.jsp?color=045

Yellow and Sky Baskets:
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/baynote/20744306.jsp

o

Went to a different tile store today... nothing too exciting but here's a couple...
IMG_0583.JPG

Some faux marble bead board... Comes in bead board like the pic but didn't have the sample...

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

... and I loved the tiny sparkles that this gives off : ) Can't tell here though!
IMG_0585.JPG

AND, my decorator (who I admit I'm barely using to save some $, but who needs it when you gave GardenWeb?? : ) ) dropped off a new book of yellow/gray fabrics!!! woo-hoo!!! fun weekend ahead!!!

IMG_0598.JPG

o

PS- Lavender, I'm thinking I should leave out the turquoise? Maybe stick with yellow, white, gray, etc..

o

Fishies- Hi! Sorry I missed your latest posts. Has your decorator dropped off any yellow and turquoise fabrics? Have you seen any that you really liked? How about some teal or greens?

And...I still like the 'floral' tile the best! Very pretty and perfectly wonderful, in your fancy/cottage kitchen :)

Oh, and I started looking for some fancy/cottage fabrics that would look nice in your space...so far, I really like this dragonfly fabric. What do you think? Here's a link, too.

From Cottage house plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragonfly fabric

o
Fancy bird cage

This came up on my fabric search. It's so pretty...even if it's not right for your space, I wanted to show it to you.

From Cottage house plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to bird cage

o
Another fabric

Fishies- I like the dragonflies with this one...

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

o
Tile

Fishies- What about your bench? I think it would look good with them, too.

From Cottage house plans

Here's that tile we like...

From Cottage house plans

Do you like either of these fabrics...

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

o

hi Lavender- thanks! Love the bird cage-- so pretty : )

I also really like the fabrics but I feel like they are a little too cottage for me. They are very pretty but I like my original fabrics b/c they give the kitchen a little more of a contemporary feel & I'm going to make sure not to overdo them.

If I add a secondary color it would be the turquoise. I love green but right now I have a lot of brown and aqua/turquoise in the LR and those colors would work well if I added to kitchen as well. as it is now, I'm a bit concerned (too strong of a word) b/c the kitchen/DR have the yellow, some black/gray and the walnut top - which doesn't really "match" my LR furniture and curtains especially. The couch & loveseat which we are keeping another year or two until we can finish the basement are brown with aqua and so are our window treatments, OH- and the 2 pieces of wood furniture- desk and buffet so I can't really change the LR.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

However, now that the LR/DR and being separated by the french doors and panels I think it makes it a bit more okay for them not to match perfectly... I hope. I'm thinking maybe I can use the same color paint in both to bring it together... maybe...

I'm keeping the dining room table for now and recovering the chairs to match the window treatments and bench. I'll see how it works with the bench being it's not a console table, but I can always change it later.
What do you think? Do you think the kitchen/dr can be one scheme and the LR another?

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

This is nice (floral from Ballard)

ballarddesigns

o
another one...

These are great colors but I don't like the patterns:

turquoise_yellow_print

o

Fishies- I know! That bird cage just grabbed me. Way too fancy for most of my spaces, but maybe in the master bathroom.... :)

These are probably too cottage for you, too...but I'll post them, just in case.

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

This one is a little more contemporary...and has blue, if not turquoise. Difficult to tell, on my monitor. Just in case you do like it, I attached the link, below.

From Cottage house plans

And this one reminds me a bit of your picture, in the living room...

From Cottage house plans

As for the style in the living room and kitchen/dining room...as long as they relate to each other, IMHO, they can each have their own personality since they're separated by the French doors. Similar, but not necessarily the same...does that make sense?

I LOVE your dining room chairs...the table, too...but those flowers, on the chairs are so cute! Of course, I'd probably paint them (gasp!) or refinish them a lighter color...to work in my kitchen. Let me know if you decide to replace them! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to dahlia fabric

o
turquoise & yellow

OK, since we're on the turquoise subject several weeks ago I was thinking if I should bring in the turquoise and came up with a bunch of inspiration photos. My DH said it reminded him of an easter egg. lol Also, I seem to get a retro feel with these colors. I love them and they are fun but may be a little too... themed? I think I may tire of it quicker and it's further away from my original inspiration in my mind... hmmm I'm thinking the bird fabrics I love may just be a better choice..

$(KGrHqN,!jEE8oF3Min1BPOFfBvqbQ~~60_58

98727416800749617_WLQPp3m2_f

IMG_5413-web

enjoy_cupcakes

vintage_turquoise_yellow_kitchen

41O-VFGCFIL

il_570xN.292603782

Yellow_Bedroom

Dining Room Stencil Cutting Edge Stencils Yellow Turquoise

turquoise-kitchen

il_fullxfull.308481846

images

858742_fpx.tif

o

Ooh, missed your post as I was cutting and pasting all of my links!
I actually like all those fabrics : ) Maybe something about a dragonfly was throwing me off but I love flowers and birds! oh, actually looking again the 3rd is too contemporary for me. I LOVE the 4th one : ) Do you have a link to that?

o
Birds

Fishies- Here's the link! If you like bird fabrics...here's a few more :)

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

I like the hummingbirds...but not sure you'll like the green.

From Cottage house plans

This one is so cute, but I could only find this little picture...

From Cottage house plans

And a few more yellow, white, gray and black fabrics...

From Cottage house plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to bird fabric

o

SO cute!! Thanks!

I went to the Joel Dewberry site (makes "my" fabrics) and he had another line with some yellow and turquoise... Some of the patterns aren't so great but I really like this one, what do you think??? And maybe one of the others might coordinate.

H_rose_bouquet_C

H_tile_flourish_C

H_blockprint_blossom_C

H_ornate_floral_C

,... and if you like orange..

Q_rose_bouquet_C

Q_blockprint_blossom2_C

OK, I need to get to bed! my head is spinning : ) PS- Did you read my long one above with all the turquoise/yellow pics?

o

thanks again! This is fun : ) lol

o

This is fun! I actually like the orange floral...it's very pretty and the white background seems to balance out the turquoise. The first floral is also pretty, but the darker shade of turquoise seems a little too intense...same thing with the third and fourth fabrics. Any other fabrics that have the softer turquoise and yellow, like in the orange floral?

If you do decide to use the orange, then the yellow and white underneath it would look great...and if you use 'the tile' then the other yellow and white would look really good, too. Otherwise, it might be a bit too much.

Do they have any other bird fabrics? Maybe something with the turquoise? Wait...I just remembered seeing (I think) your bird fabric, with some orange. Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is...autumn sparrow fabric (bottom, left).

From Cottage house plans

o
Also

If you are using the bench fabric shown (which I like) then those branches in the bird fabric may pick that up.

You know, if those oranges do match...then the turquoise could be your third color. That would be perfect, so you could bring in some of the dishes you like, above. Like those little bowls and maybe some canisters.

Yellow, orange and turquoise would be very cottage (IMHO) and the fabric line that you like definitely brings in the fancy. I think you're on the right track! :)

o

I have to choose a fabric for the bench. The autumn sparrow fabric doesn't have yellow. It's creamy beige I think. Here are the only others I could find.

The site is : http://www.joeldewberry.com/ Just click under "collections"

AV_Sparrows_S

AV_Sparrow2_S

jd15_yellowlight-01

jd18_yellowlight-01

Q_chrysanthemum_C

Q_opal1_C

Q_marbled_stripe_C

o

I think my faves are:

Q_rose_bouquet_C

jd18_yellowlight-01

jd15_yellowlight-01

H_tile_flourish_C

It's mixing collections so I'd have to see how the above work together....
This works well with the orange roses

Q_marbled_stripe_C

I love this too but it is more turquoise I think and the rose pattern has more green/aqua?

AV_Sparrow2_S

o

Wow! Those are pretty :)

If you choose the bird pattern, with the yellow background and orange flowers for your bench, I think the beige (autumn) bird pattern would also look good as an accent fabric. Just like the yellow and black bird patterns worked together, in that collection.

I really like the orange floral, but I'm not so sure about the stripes. Are there any other fabrics that have a little beige, besides the bird fabrics? Maybe as an accent pillow or two?

Here are my favorites...what do you think?

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

And again, I think this one works, if you choose the fancy tile :)

From Cottage house plans

o
Also

That last line should say, this works if you choose the fancy tile, but if you do decide to use the bead board...then I think the stripe fabrics will look good after all :)

o
Fabric

Sorry, this striped fabric. It would look good and it has the beige, which works with the bird fabrics. Any fabrics with beige and the light aqua/turquoise, together? I'll try to check the website, later, too :)

From Cottage house plans

o

The 2nd bird one doesn't seem quite right to me with the yellow background bird one as much as it does with the yellow/grey/black group. Actually it could be fine, but I'd have to make sure the oranges are the same and I think they may not be.

I'm not crazy about the big orange flowers (2nd to last) but love the last yellow one. (It's called tiled or something) I also think it would be great with the fancy tile which is what I'm leaning towards: )

I'll see if I can get some samples. The yellow background bird one has been discontinued say may be hard to find. Also, I wonder if that yellow will work as well as the more gold yellows here.

AV_Sparrows_G

... and now I'm finding myself secretly longing for these again : ) (don't kill me!) lol I'll have to mull this all over and see some fabrics IRL...

il_fullxfull.231435361

o

I'm going to order some samples today. That will definitely help me straighten these out : ) I do really like the orange yellow as well. I can't seem to find the perfect mix of everything. lol Yes, check out the website if you get a chance...

(as if you have nothing better to do...) lol Maybe you'll find some bunnies! ha

o

Oh, you definitely need samples! I do like the aqua/turquoise and orange, more than the gray...but what matters is what YOU like :)

I think you're right about the autumn birds, though...maybe the dark brown is what's not matching. For some reason, I forgot you were redoing the bench and thought you were using that 'oatmeal' color...so that's why the beiges would work.

Also, have you gone to the fabric store and looked at the custom fabrics from Waverly and other companies? They have a lot more choices, than what you see on the rolls, back in the designer fabric section. They often come in collections, too!

From Cottage house plans

o

o

oasis---- ooooh! Adorable!! What is it?? : )

o

That's cute! :)

Fishies- Have you asked over on the Home Decorating forum, for fabric ideas?

o

Where did the rest of my post go? Pattern is Nesting Birds in white by Simon + Kabuki. Amazon has it.

o
What is this tile?

Hi 2littlefishies.... No opinions here, have been enjoying the options you present and will look forward to the final product:)

I rather liked the lower row of tiles in the below picture. Do you know who makes it, by any chance?

Thanks!

Oldbat2be

IMG_0539.JPG

o

Hi oldbat2be-
Sorry I don't know what it is, but when I go back to that store I can ask--
Fishies

o

OK, I ordered a bunch of samples! I'll show you some of them...

At this moment, I'm thinking I should perhaps stick to a yellow and white fabric and then I can still add in aqua accessories here and there if I want. Also, in looking at my inspiration pic, one of the things I loved about it was the soft look it has. I think the yellow cabs will be a big statement as far as color (especially where I live-- LOTS of white white kitchens...) and when thinking about adding orange or other bright colors to the window treatments it just isn't what I had in mind.. I even worried about my original yellow/gray birds being too disruptive but maybe I liked that that color scheme b/c it was a little more subdued?

Anyway, if I don't do the yellow/gray/black scheme maybe I'll stick to yellow and white. If I do SOME of these fabrics I could leave my pendants as they are instead of changing fabric on the shades.

kit-yel-brocadewallpaper-435

images

Pic not great but I think this is really cute : )
IMG_0607.JPG

Large_EU-060

Large_UH-217

Large_UL-716

Large_UH-237

Large_UL-918

Large_UH-251

Large_EM-290

Some with color...

Large_CT-895

The yellow like this is above:

Large_UL-853

Large_EM-269

Large_UL-364

o

Hi Fishies! I like the last four yellow/white ones, starting with the bird/floral, above the 'dandelions'. I think you have the right idea about keeping the fabrics fairly neutral and then adding your color, with the accessories.

Of course, if you really like any of the fabrics with the 'blue birds' you could use those for cushions/pillows and other accents that you could change, seasonally. I think the yellow and white will look good in spring/summer/fall and can you imagine some dark green, red and gold...for Christmas? Maybe even a little silver? :)

o

lavender-- (as if anyone else is reading this- lol)
I couldn't make sense out of which ones. You said the last 4 yellow/white but if I start with the one above the dandelions, that is 3 not 4?

I really like the one above the dandelions but I think the one above that goes well with the pendant shade. The "tile" one is nice too.

I don't love dandelions but what I love about that one is that there's so much white. I'd like to find one where the white is dominant....

o

Some coordinating dandelion prints-- They have what they call "girly blue" and "true turquoise".

il_570xN.332594118

ddlgirlybluetwill, OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

ddlwhiteturquoise, OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I got a bunch of fabrics and really love the little blue birds. Unfortunately the dandelion fabric is more orangey than I'd like.. However, still might work?

IMG_0658.JPG

il_570xN.328988095

oldbat2be- I found out the tile you like (and the other one I like) are both from Wizard Enterprise. http://www.wizardenterprise.com/
I think yours is "Iron Grate" or Gate?

Here are more of the tile... I guess you can make different patterns out of it and these are the same tiles but patterned differently. Actually in looking again I'm wrong-- I guess it just looks different when there is a wall of it : ) It comes in about 60 colors! The I I show actually has a green glaze on it.

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

o

Here is the Wizard Catalog. The one I like is called Ribbons & Feathers

Here is a link that might be useful: WIZARD CATALOG

o

Love : ) Maybe for window and the little blue bird fabric for pendants?

this is glamorous1

o

Fishies- Sorry, I missed your last post...I also really like this last picture! The curtains are so delicate and light...and I think the little yellow and white/blue bird fabric would be wonderful for your pendants!

I think these fabrics are more cottage-like and you can still use some of your fancier fabrics, in the dining room. And of course, I love 'our' tile! :)

o

Thanks, lavender : ) I feel like I'm "on track" now!

o
Fabrics

I really like the yellow and white/blue bird pattern. I think if you want to pick up any more blue...I'd choose that blue, over the turquoise. But, for dishes, accessories, etc. the turquoise might look very nice. I just wouldn't put it in the fabrics, so you have the option of changing it, later on.

So, you'll 'probably' have white, wood, yellow, gold, blue and maybe some green with plants and herbs. Sounds like your space might be more colorful that you thought! And quite the charming, cottage kitchen :)

o

... and don't forget fancy! lol

I agree about the blue. I went to Anthropologie today to look at some of those little accessories (jars, sugar bowl, etc) in yellow and aqua and brought the blue bird fabric. Most of them worked well but some of them were too green. It's a pretty blue. I don't think I'll do any other fabrics with turquoise- just if I find a good blue like the birds. It's sooo cute. I love it! My mom loves it too and agrees these work better than the original yellow/black/grey ones. Other ones I showed her she said were too french/formal. She has a good eye for decorating : )

The little bird fabric might be busy for the 6' window but that's why I thought maybe for the lights and then white with a bit of yellow (maybe the pom poms) for the window.

I get the dandelions tomorrow (fabric) in the turquoise and girly blue. I think the print is too large though compared to those cute little birds. Maybe in the DR though if I do pillows. We'll see!

I liked the tile even more today. They gave me 4 to take home woo-hoo!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here