Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Beadboard Backsplash & wood hood- your thoughts?

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

Although I'm not up to the backsplash (demo hasn't even started) I am "pre-planning" and wondering what you think about beadboard backsplashes?

Are they difficult to clean (grooves)? I assume they are less expensive than tile or am I wrong?

In my inspiration photo, I love the cottage look it gives but wonder if I should just do a white subway tile?

We may put beadboard in the glass cabs or maybe one of my fabrics...

Also we are doing a wood hood so I wasn't sure if beadboard would be a problem behind the cooktop? I should say in my inspiration photo Betsy Speert the designer used a stainless backsplash & hood but since we are doing an induction cooktop I don't think that would look good. **Would a stainless hood and backsplash work if you don't have range???

Here is my inspiration photo and then my layout:

Ignore the windows and fridge style (below)... We'll also have some glass uppers somewhere in the "L".

Using some of these things...

Comments (89)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OH, yes I was thinking of that a while back but then thought against it but nothing has been decided in stone! I thought the arch was a "no-no" and then a decorator mentioned just doing a fabric window treatment there. Also the window is about 6 1/2 feet so it would be kind of large.
    The price my cabinet maker quoted included doing a wooden valance so that's not an issue.

I'll take a look at some and post so you can lmk what you think. Would I put fabric behind it?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Remember my original inspiration? I'm pretty far from that now-- : )

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Good!

You don't have to use wooden cutouts. I would just avoid straight-line wooden valances, if you do have any wooden valances. But girly wooden cutouts fit the cottagey vibe and are also very appropriate for your house style.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Crossville also has a nice bead board tile. I used it in my bathroom. Scroll down to the Savoy series.

Love reading about your kitchen and looking forward to seeing it finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beadboard tile

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

redlover- thanks! I can't wait until it's finished either. Actually, can't wait til it starts! ha!

Hey guys- I have to choose a fabric for a custom banquette piece I'm going to have made. "My" fabrics are just quilt/curtain fabric. I assume they wouldn't be the best for a piece of furniture that will be used to sit at regularly and for eating as well. I'll have to find something else I guess for that. Maybe a stain resistant/sunbrella something in a solid color?

Here's the piece... it will be about 8' long. I though it would be nice under the awning windows instead of a built in bench. (The bay window will have a window seat).

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bumping above post... Also, The cabinet guy I've been working with just told me he can't do our kitchen b/c he is totally booked all summer and we thought we'd originally be finished by now. Nightmare- now we're back to interviewing.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- Sorry I missed your earlier post...I do love the tile and think you should use them! I will commit to them if you will! LOL
    {{gwi:1862585}}From Cottage house plans

It's more like a floral and curvey, but not too formal. The arabesque seems more 'old world' and I think it would have looked beautiful in your original kitchen. I liked those pendants, too...but it's a different style. You're still keeping the curves but they're softer and more informal...but still a little fancy. Does that make sense?

That being said, the beadboard might be too 'linear' in your kitchen. I really like that first yellow glass vase you showed...and I think that would be beautiful...but maybe just have a white background, not beadboard.

I like the bench! The sunbrella fabric is a great idea and I like the yellow or soft cream color, to pick up the colors in your other fabrics.

Too bad about the cabinet guy...but maybe you'll get some great 'cottage ideas' from your new interviewees :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lavender! I have another tile place to go to so I'm going to see if I find some that are similar to the one above just for some options. I also didn't ask the price of them but why should that matter? lol : ) I see what you mean about the arabesque and the previous inspiration kitchen and this one being more informal but still some fancy.

Would you say my kitchen will be similar to my present inspiration but less cottage? Or, maybe more fancy cottage? lol The beadboard seems to work well in the inspiration photo, no?

OH-- one more thing, I love turquoise with the yellow but am scared to scatter that into my accent pieces as my fabrics don't have any aqua... What do you think? Add turquoise or just stick to yellow (with my fabrics)

Sugar Bowl:
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/870076.jsp?null

One Sky and One Yellow Bowl:
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-kitchen/24336646.jsp

One Sky and One Yellow Spice Jar:
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/23864820.jsp?color=045

Yellow and Sky Baskets:
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/baynote/20744306.jsp

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went to a different tile store today... nothing too exciting but here's a couple...

Some faux marble bead board... Comes in bead board like the pic but didn't have the sample...

... and I loved the tiny sparkles that this gives off : ) Can't tell here though!

AND, my decorator (who I admit I'm barely using to save some $, but who needs it when you gave GardenWeb?? : ) ) dropped off a new book of yellow/gray fabrics!!! woo-hoo!!! fun weekend ahead!!!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PS- Lavender, I'm thinking I should leave out the turquoise? Maybe stick with yellow, white, gray, etc..

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- Hi! Sorry I missed your latest posts. Has your decorator dropped off any yellow and turquoise fabrics? Have you seen any that you really liked? How about some teal or greens?

And...I still like the 'floral' tile the best! Very pretty and perfectly wonderful, in your fancy/cottage kitchen :)

Oh, and I started looking for some fancy/cottage fabrics that would look nice in your space...so far, I really like this dragonfly fabric. What do you think? Here's a link, too. {{gwi:1862591}}From Cottage house plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragonfly fabric

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

This came up on my fabric search. It's so pretty...even if it's not right for your space, I wanted to show it to you.
    {{gwi:1862592}}From Cottage house plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to bird cage

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- I like the dragonflies with this one...
    {{gwi:1862593}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1862591}}From Cottage house plans

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- What about your bench? I think it would look good with them, too.
    {{gwi:1862594}}From Cottage house plans

Here's that tile we like... {{gwi:1862585}}From Cottage house plans

Do you like either of these fabrics... {{gwi:1862595}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1862596}}From Cottage house plans

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi Lavender- thanks! Love the bird cage-- so pretty : )

I also really like the fabrics but I feel like they are a little too cottage for me. They are very pretty but I like my original fabrics b/c they give the kitchen a little more of a contemporary feel & I'm going to make sure not to overdo them.

If I add a secondary color it would be the turquoise. I love green but right now I have a lot of brown and aqua/turquoise in the LR and those colors would work well if I added to kitchen as well. as it is now, I'm a bit concerned (too strong of a word) b/c the kitchen/DR have the yellow, some black/gray and the walnut top - which doesn't really "match" my LR furniture and curtains especially. The couch & loveseat which we are keeping another year or two until we can finish the basement are brown with aqua and so are our window treatments, OH- and the 2 pieces of wood furniture- desk and buffet so I can't really change the LR.

However, now that the LR/DR and being separated by the french doors and panels I think it makes it a bit more okay for them not to match perfectly... I hope. I'm thinking maybe I can use the same color paint in both to bring it together... maybe...

I'm keeping the dining room table for now and recovering the chairs to match the window treatments and bench. I'll see how it works with the bench being it's not a console table, but I can always change it later.
    What do you think? Do you think the kitchen/dr can be one scheme and the LR another?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is nice (floral from Ballard)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are great colors but I don't like the patterns:

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- I know! That bird cage just grabbed me. Way too fancy for most of my spaces, but maybe in the master bathroom.... :)

These are probably too cottage for you, too...but I'll post them, just in case. {{gwi:1862602}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1862604}}From Cottage house plans

This one is a little more contemporary...and has blue, if not turquoise. Difficult to tell, on my monitor. Just in case you do like it, I attached the link, below. {{gwi:1862606}}From Cottage house plans

And this one reminds me a bit of your picture, in the living room... {{gwi:1862608}}From Cottage house plans

As for the style in the living room and kitchen/dining room...as long as they relate to each other, IMHO, they can each have their own personality since they're separated by the French doors. Similar, but not necessarily the same...does that make sense?

I LOVE your dining room chairs...the table, too...but those flowers, on the chairs are so cute! Of course, I'd probably paint them (gasp!) or refinish them a lighter color...to work in my kitchen. Let me know if you decide to replace them! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to dahlia fabric

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, since we're on the turquoise subject several weeks ago I was thinking if I should bring in the turquoise and came up with a bunch of inspiration photos. My DH said it reminded him of an easter egg. lol Also, I seem to get a retro feel with these colors. I love them and they are fun but may be a little too... themed? I think I may tire of it quicker and it's further away from my original inspiration in my mind... hmmm I'm thinking the bird fabrics I love may just be a better choice..

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh, missed your post as I was cutting and pasting all of my links!
    I actually like all those fabrics : ) Maybe something about a dragonfly was throwing me off but I love flowers and birds! oh, actually looking again the 3rd is too contemporary for me. I LOVE the 4th one : ) Do you have a link to that?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- Here's the link! If you like bird fabrics...here's a few more :)
    {{gwi:1862625}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1862626}}From Cottage house plans

I like the hummingbirds...but not sure you'll like the green. {{gwi:1862627}}From Cottage house plans

This one is so cute, but I could only find this little picture... {{gwi:1862628}}From Cottage house plans

And a few more yellow, white, gray and black fabrics... {{gwi:1862629}}From Cottage house plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to bird fabric

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SO cute!! Thanks!

I went to the Joel Dewberry site (makes "my" fabrics) and he had another line with some yellow and turquoise... Some of the patterns aren't so great but I really like this one, what do you think??? And maybe one of the others might coordinate.

,... and if you like orange..

OK, I need to get to bed! my head is spinning : ) PS- Did you read my long one above with all the turquoise/yellow pics?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks again! This is fun : ) lol

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

This is fun! I actually like the orange floral...it's very pretty and the white background seems to balance out the turquoise. The first floral is also pretty, but the darker shade of turquoise seems a little too intense...same thing with the third and fourth fabrics. Any other fabrics that have the softer turquoise and yellow, like in the orange floral?

If you do decide to use the orange, then the yellow and white underneath it would look great...and if you use 'the tile' then the other yellow and white would look really good, too. Otherwise, it might be a bit too much.

Do they have any other bird fabrics? Maybe something with the turquoise? Wait...I just remembered seeing (I think) your bird fabric, with some orange. Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is...autumn sparrow fabric (bottom, left). {{gwi:1862636}}From Cottage house plans

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

If you are using the bench fabric shown (which I like) then those branches in the bird fabric may pick that up.

You know, if those oranges do match...then the turquoise could be your third color. That would be perfect, so you could bring in some of the dishes you like, above. Like those little bowls and maybe some canisters.

Yellow, orange and turquoise would be very cottage (IMHO) and the fabric line that you like definitely brings in the fancy. I think you're on the right track! :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have to choose a fabric for the bench. The autumn sparrow fabric doesn't have yellow. It's creamy beige I think. Here are the only others I could find.

The site is : http://www.joeldewberry.com/ Just click under "collections"

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think my faves are:

It's mixing collections so I'd have to see how the above work together....
    This works well with the orange roses

I love this too but it is more turquoise I think and the rose pattern has more green/aqua?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Wow! Those are pretty :)

If you choose the bird pattern, with the yellow background and orange flowers for your bench, I think the beige (autumn) bird pattern would also look good as an accent fabric. Just like the yellow and black bird patterns worked together, in that collection.

I really like the orange floral, but I'm not so sure about the stripes. Are there any other fabrics that have a little beige, besides the bird fabrics? Maybe as an accent pillow or two?

Here are my favorites...what do you think? {{gwi:1862645}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1862646}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1862647}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1862649}}From Cottage house plans
    {{gwi:1862651}}From Cottage house plans

And again, I think this one works, if you choose the fancy tile :) {{gwi:1862652}}From Cottage house plans

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

That last line should say, this works if you choose the fancy tile, but if you do decide to use the bead board...then I think the stripe fabrics will look good after all :)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Sorry, this striped fabric. It would look good and it has the beige, which works with the bird fabrics. Any fabrics with beige and the light aqua/turquoise, together? I'll try to check the website, later, too :)
    {{gwi:1862653}}From Cottage house plans

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 2nd bird one doesn't seem quite right to me with the yellow background bird one as much as it does with the yellow/grey/black group. Actually it could be fine, but I'd have to make sure the oranges are the same and I think they may not be.

I'm not crazy about the big orange flowers (2nd to last) but love the last yellow one. (It's called tiled or something) I also think it would be great with the fancy tile which is what I'm leaning towards: )

I'll see if I can get some samples. The yellow background bird one has been discontinued say may be hard to find. Also, I wonder if that yellow will work as well as the more gold yellows here.

... and now I'm finding myself secretly longing for these again : ) (don't kill me!) lol I'll have to mull this all over and see some fabrics IRL...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to order some samples today. That will definitely help me straighten these out : ) I do really like the orange yellow as well. I can't seem to find the perfect mix of everything. lol Yes, check out the website if you get a chance...

(as if you have nothing better to do...) lol Maybe you'll find some bunnies! ha

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Oh, you definitely need samples! I do like the aqua/turquoise and orange, more than the gray...but what matters is what YOU like :)

I think you're right about the autumn birds, though...maybe the dark brown is what's not matching. For some reason, I forgot you were redoing the bench and thought you were using that 'oatmeal' color...so that's why the beiges would work.

Also, have you gone to the fabric store and looked at the custom fabrics from Waverly and other companies? They have a lot more choices, than what you see on the rolls, back in the designer fabric section. They often come in collections, too! {{gwi:1862654}}From Cottage house plans

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oasis---- ooooh! Adorable!! What is it?? : )

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

That's cute! :)

Fishies- Have you asked over on the Home Decorating forum, for fabric ideas?

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

Where did the rest of my post go? Pattern is Nesting Birds in white by Simon + Kabuki. Amazon has it.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hi 2littlefishies.... No opinions here, have been enjoying the options you present and will look forward to the final product:)

I rather liked the lower row of tiles in the below picture. Do you know who makes it, by any chance?

Thanks!

Oldbat2be

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi oldbat2be-
    Sorry I don't know what it is, but when I go back to that store I can ask--
    Fishies

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I ordered a bunch of samples! I'll show you some of them...

At this moment, I'm thinking I should perhaps stick to a yellow and white fabric and then I can still add in aqua accessories here and there if I want. Also, in looking at my inspiration pic, one of the things I loved about it was the soft look it has. I think the yellow cabs will be a big statement as far as color (especially where I live-- LOTS of white white kitchens...) and when thinking about adding orange or other bright colors to the window treatments it just isn't what I had in mind.. I even worried about my original yellow/gray birds being too disruptive but maybe I liked that that color scheme b/c it was a little more subdued?

Anyway, if I don't do the yellow/gray/black scheme maybe I'll stick to yellow and white. If I do SOME of these fabrics I could leave my pendants as they are instead of changing fabric on the shades.

Pic not great but I think this is really cute : )

Some with color...

The yellow like this is above:

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Hi Fishies! I like the last four yellow/white ones, starting with the bird/floral, above the 'dandelions'. I think you have the right idea about keeping the fabrics fairly neutral and then adding your color, with the accessories.

Of course, if you really like any of the fabrics with the 'blue birds' you could use those for cushions/pillows and other accents that you could change, seasonally. I think the yellow and white will look good in spring/summer/fall and can you imagine some dark green, red and gold...for Christmas? Maybe even a little silver? :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lavender-- (as if anyone else is reading this- lol)
    I couldn't make sense out of which ones. You said the last 4 yellow/white but if I start with the one above the dandelions, that is 3 not 4?

I really like the one above the dandelions but I think the one above that goes well with the pendant shade. The "tile" one is nice too.

I don't love dandelions but what I love about that one is that there's so much white. I'd like to find one where the white is dominant....

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some coordinating dandelion prints-- They have what they call "girly blue" and "true turquoise".

I got a bunch of fabrics and really love the little blue birds. Unfortunately the dandelion fabric is more orangey than I'd like.. However, still might work?

oldbat2be- I found out the tile you like (and the other one I like) are both from Wizard Enterprise. http://www.wizardenterprise.com/
    I think yours is "Iron Grate" or Gate?

Here are more of the tile... I guess you can make different patterns out of it and these are the same tiles but patterned differently. Actually in looking again I'm wrong-- I guess it just looks different when there is a wall of it : ) It comes in about 60 colors! The I I show actually has a green glaze on it.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the Wizard Catalog. The one I like is called Ribbons & Feathers

Here is a link that might be useful: WIZARD CATALOG

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love : ) Maybe for window and the little blue bird fabric for pendants?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- Sorry, I missed your last post...I also really like this last picture! The curtains are so delicate and light...and I think the little yellow and white/blue bird fabric would be wonderful for your pendants!

I think these fabrics are more cottage-like and you can still use some of your fancier fabrics, in the dining room. And of course, I love 'our' tile! :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, lavender : ) I feel like I'm "on track" now!

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I really like the yellow and white/blue bird pattern. I think if you want to pick up any more blue...I'd choose that blue, over the turquoise. But, for dishes, accessories, etc. the turquoise might look very nice. I just wouldn't put it in the fabrics, so you have the option of changing it, later on.

So, you'll 'probably' have white, wood, yellow, gold, blue and maybe some green with plants and herbs. Sounds like your space might be more colorful that you thought! And quite the charming, cottage kitchen :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

... and don't forget fancy! lol

I agree about the blue. I went to Anthropologie today to look at some of those little accessories (jars, sugar bowl, etc) in yellow and aqua and brought the blue bird fabric. Most of them worked well but some of them were too green. It's a pretty blue. I don't think I'll do any other fabrics with turquoise- just if I find a good blue like the birds. It's sooo cute. I love it! My mom loves it too and agrees these work better than the original yellow/black/grey ones. Other ones I showed her she said were too french/formal. She has a good eye for decorating : )

The little bird fabric might be busy for the 6' window but that's why I thought maybe for the lights and then white with a bit of yellow (maybe the pom poms) for the window.

I get the dandelions tomorrow (fabric) in the turquoise and girly blue. I think the print is too large though compared to those cute little birds. Maybe in the DR though if I do pillows. We'll see!

I liked the tile even more today. They gave me 4 to take home woo-hoo!