Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taking out drywall to make paneled DW fit?

Posted by pseudochef (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 17:03

The appliance guys came today to install my new KA paneled DW. They took off the insulation on the back of the DW but it still sticks out and then when they put the panel on it will stick out more. Basically the DW without the panel is flush with the drawer fronts. Anyway, I called the appliance store and they said the only other option is to take out the drywall behind the DW to gain some room. Is there any reason not to do this? They're going to call me back tomorrow about doing this so I could use some advice today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taking out drywall to make paneled DW fit?

I had the same problem with a refrigerator. We took off the drywall with no ill effects. This is a common fudge I understand.

o

We did it with our dw...worked fine.

o

As long as you don't disturb the insulation in the wall cavity, and aren't skeeved out by the possibility of creating an insect habitation in the cavity (put boric acid in it) then it should be fine.

But, 1/2" of drywall isn't enough to make up for a 3/4" panel on the front of the DW. It will still stick out. The only solution is to get another brand, or to pull the cabinets away from the wall on the whole run and increase the counter depth over the whole run. KA knows this is an issue but fails to put this in BIG LETTERS for anyone planning a kitchen. Some KD's assume it's built for standard depth cabinets, and then have issues like yours.

I'd register a(nother) complaint with KA, and get another DW. If they lose another sale over the issue, they might start to build them correctly.

o

We have a KA paneled dishwasher. It sticks out and we just don't notice.

photo P1010325.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here