Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have 24" deep island with main kitchen sink?

Posted by sls2001 (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:02

We are remodeling our kitchen and considering two islands instead of one large one. We would only have room for a 24" island in the middle with dishwasher, sink-only one, and trash and 9" tray cabinet. The other island would have seating and be about 22.5" because of an existing column. Does anyone have middle island or any island that is only 24" deep and includes the main kitchen sick? I would love to see pictures.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have 24" deep island with main kitchen sink?

It seems like you really need a deeper island or part of a wall sticking up behind the sink. Otherwise, you could be splashing water and food stuff onto the floor behind the sink.

o

Curious as to why 2 separate islands rather than putting them together, particularly since neither is able to be large. It seems like it would work out much better to have the two together.

But, as to your question - a standard sink in a 24" island seems like it would be asking for issues with splashing and so on.

If you're still in the planning phases, maybe you might want to post your floor plan and get some opinions on what might work for the kitchen.

o

Thanks for your comments. We are still in layout design phase and had this as a proposal. Suggestion was to use farm sink so add a few inches behind sink. I haven't seen a narrow island like this with the main sink but thought I would check to see if there were any out there that were working for people. Anyone?

o

If you check the link below, you'll see a narrow island with the main sink and DW. But it's the 'before' kitchen, so the homeowner must have felt that it needed to be changed.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic in blog

o

What a hoot- a before picture! Not really what I am looking for. Thanks.

o

It's a bad idea. You want at least 36" of width if you have a sink in an island. 48" is better. Sounds like you really need one good island in this kitchen instead of two marginal ones.

o

I have 35 with a prep sink. I would not do 24 with a larger sink. I think you will be happier with one larger island if that is the space you have. Two islands requires a really large room.

o

I'm adding a link to a GW kitchen from last year--done in an older home, with all the challenges and restrictions inherent. The homeowner created a magnificent kitchen, including a narrow island, which houses sink and DW. It's slightly wider than your requirements, with a fairly small sink, but take a look--you might be able to adjust your plan to make it work. And, the owner is still graciously replying to posts, in case you have questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: AnneNJ's 1850s kitchen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here