Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shilly_gw

backsplash disaster

shilly
14 years ago

Glass tile experts, I desperately need your opinion! I have 2x4 Lunada Bay Tiles for my backsplash. The "high end" tile store said if we used gray thinset instead of white, it would give them a "richer" color. The color is latte. Big mistake. The installer used gray, and guess what, the tile looked dark gray!! Took them down and scraped them clean. Took 3-1/2 days, but they were clean as a whistle. Installer came back and installed them again using white mastic. They were beautiful until they started drying. As the mastic dried, it cracked and looked like cracked mud. The tiles are irridescent and you can see through them. The installer came again, took them down and took them to his house to clean. He said he must have gotten a bad batch of mastic??? Anyway, the Sheetrock is virtually destroyed by now and has to be replaced. Called the supplier in CA and he said to install backerboard instead of Sheetrock because the Sheetrock will leach the moisture out of the setting compound. Installer said backerboard will do the same thing, plus it's gray!!! The installer will install new Sheetrock (backsplash is not behind sink), and then prime it before re-installing the tiles. Is this the best thing to do, all you experts?? He also said he would go with white thinset (skim wall and butter tiles). I would so appreciate anyone's input. By now I almost hate these very expensive glass tiles!!!

Comments (16)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

shilly,
    you may want to repost with a shout out to Bill V. and other tile installation experts... though your subject line was intriguing and it'll probably catch their eye. Sorry I don't have an educated answer for you.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

First fire everyone!

Next, install dry wall

Then use adesilex P10 from http://www.mapei.us/ as the thinset. I have done this myself. No color comes through. Easy to work with.

You can do the job in a few days yourself.

Post photos of the glass so that we can recommend a nice grout color.

Visit johnbridge forum for more help or wait for Bill V to see this thread.

Fire everyone!

• shilly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input! I wish I could fire everyone, but...
    The installer is installing the drywall - no way my husband and I could. Also, he's going to "make this right" with no extra pay. I am going to order some more tiles just in case, because we didn't order enough to have extra. I will post pics (this is the last phase of our kitchen remodel), but I have to get someone to show me how!!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Bill... I probably have as much of your advice bookmarked as I do tile sites for backsplash materials. I'm so glad you frequent this board!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

That's what I love about this place. Y'all feed my egomaniacal side!! LOL

Not a problem, remodelfla-- that's what I'm here for. :-)

• pvtpjm
    14 years ago

AAH! My DH is installing our glass tile backsplash right now and now I am getting a little nervous! He is using TEC 3 in 1 in white. Will not really know until tomorrow when the sun is shining in if we have a problem or not. Hope not! He is not happy that I am reading this right now and giving him a hard time about why he is not using Mapei Ultralite!!! LOL!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

TEC 3 in 1 is the same thing as Ultralite. Tell him I said to give you grief back. :-)

• pvtpjm
    14 years ago

whew! Thank you - they look great this morning! ;)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

WELL? Did you tell him to give you grief back???

:-)

• shilly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Bill, Do you remember me from bathrooms a couple of years ago with my tub-tile joint crisis??:). About your warning above, I just got who is supposed to be a great tile guy looking at doing my backsplash. Is it acceptable to use mastic for regular ceramic tile backsplash? Also, I assume that the dryway is OK substrate - don't need CBU right?

Thanks!!!

Tina

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Tina-- of course I remember you! :-) Yes, it IS acceptable for mastic with either ceramic or porcelain, so long as the tile is no bigger than 8x8, and yes drywall is fine for a backsplash.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Thanks Bill!! I was so worried when he said mastic... but maybe I got a good tile guy this time! Some time I'll bother you about my bath tub-tile joint which remains a disaster... you would die if you saw how I am living with a leaking joint...I am basically relying on the tile flange to prevent disaster.

As always your kind help is invaluable.

• baboosh4469
    7 years ago

I know... I don't know how to post on a forum and this is probably the wrong place, but I too am have problems with tile back splash and plate line up.

I know.... I'm sure this photo and my frustrating DIY kitchen backslash switch plate disaster is going to get some laughs. I will never tile with small odd shape tiles, the cuts have been a disaster as well. I have tried the little green click extenders, as seen on the right, and they don't line up without the little metal hoops on the outlet poking out and the outlet wiggles and does not line up. I've tried the blue plastic plate as you see on the right and the plate doesn't line up either.

Please HELP !!!!