Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range Hood Ducting?

Posted by jkuns7ty (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 16:59

What am I doing wrong? We are attempting to install our range hood currently in our kitchen design. The instructions say to use 5" rigid duct, which we purchased. But, now that I am attempting to attach it to the hood unit itself, I can't figure out how. The crimped side of the duct is not large enough to go around the opening, but the straight side has a lot of slop (about 1/2"). I'm certain it is not supposed to go inside the opening, as that would impede the damper. The instructions only state "Connect the ductwork to the damper and seal all connections with duct tape". Is 1/2" slop normal around the opening, and we're just supposed to seal it with aluminum tape? We are installing the Faber Inca Smart http://www.faberonline.com/incasmart.html. It seems like I must be missing something.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range Hood Ducting?

5" duct is pretty small. The smallest that I'm aware of that any hood uses is 6". Are you sure you're using the correct size?

o

Their spec (from your link) shows that the hood outlet has a diameter of 4-11/16", so you will have a bit of slop with a 5" duct. I'd have to be doing it in person, but I expect that you should attach the duct with two or 3 sheet metal screws, then tape it with an appropriate (can stand some temperature) tape.

5" duct is fine for the CFM of that hood. As they say, if you need any 90 degree bends, try not to have them right at the hood exhaust. I think that this is because noise would be increased.

o

It does call for 5", toop outlet shows to be 4 11/16 so duct fits over. A. 5" duct should fit on the non crimped side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here