Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Do I really need a wine fridge?

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

Ok this is my inspiration picture, except I will have a pantry on either side of bar area. I love this look but the issue I'm having is with the wine fridge I don't think I really need one, other then to complete this look!! I have priced paneled wine coolers and the cheapest one I can find is about $2000 for an 18". I really am having a hard time spending money on something that I don't think I really need other then achieving the look!! Btw I don't think I will be happy with anything besides a paneled one (that's why the price is so high).
I'm thinking the glass of the wine fridge helps breaks up all the cabinets.

I need your opinions on how valuable is a wine cooler? Is there something else I can replace it with? Maybe bumped out drawers? A wine rack? Will I regret not getting the wine fridge?

I'm also getting a CD fridge and undercounted fridge drawers in my peninsula, is this too many fridges?? Lol

Comments (19)

• isixpacku
    9 years ago

How much white wine do you drink? For me a wine fridge would not be worth it. In our current kitchen we have a wine rack and it is mostly a great dust collector for us. If you drink a lot of wine a wine rack might be worth it.

What do you plan on storing in this area? I don't think it would look bad with drawers instead of a wine refrigerator.

I what I do love about the picture is the backsplash. Do you mind checking. To see of the picture says the name of the backsplash?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think you would need to drink a lot of white wine to need a dedicated refrigerator for it. We have a BC in the game room, but it's filled with beer. Our kitchen fridge is only counter depth and side by side, and I was sick of beer taking up an entire shelf ;)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I do have a drink which is not often it is wine and I always have wine here for company, but my small little wine rack now is also dusty lol. I know I don't need a wine fridge because of all this I'm just afraid of being disappointed with not achieving the "look". Sometimes I'm completely fine with it (putting drawers in its spot ) then I get that worry feeling!!

Sure I will check out if I can find the name of the tile for you!

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isixpacku this was the info on backsplash
    Encore Precocious [Stunning] 2.125" x 4.25"
    Encore Rhapsody Joy Liner Bar [Stunning] .5 x 6.375"
    Encore Rhapsoday [Chic] 4.25" x 4.25"
    Encore Rhapsody Purity [Stunning] 1.2" x 1.2"

• Fori
    9 years ago

I have one.

I keep spices in it because I lack adequate cabinetry.

You can put something else there to break up cabinetry (wait--cabinetry is bad?). Put in a stained cabinet, or one with a backlit glass front that you can't really see through. Or just do two doors with some spangly knobs.

The look isn't a good one unless you really want a wine fridge. Even then, it's just barely making a wine fridge presentable. Something that isn't an appliance will look at least as nice.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I actually think it looks great, but I wouldn't do it for looks. Just doors will look fine, too!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Nope. you don't need to waste your money.
    Particularly when you yourself don't drink wine.
    As a matter of fact, I'd call that a dumb investment since there's no point.

Now, with all those fridge drawers, it sounds like you already have a place for kids & spouse beverages, a crisper, and a fridge fridge. Unless you want to stack a wine cooler with beer or pop, there's (wait for it) no point.

• isixpacku
    9 years ago

Thanks nyrgirl! I thought it would be Encore tile. I am looking at a couple colors of it for my backsplash.

• chispa
    9 years ago

We have a beverage fridge and it is great. So much more space in our main fridge without the orange juice, 2-3 bottles of mixed juices and DH's Perrier.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I don't think you need it for looks at all. I actually think that space would look better with a bank of drawers in the middle. It would look like a piece of furniture then.

Doesn't sound like you need it for function either.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I'd put fridge and freezer drawers in there for functionality.

However, if you want to keep the look w/o the wine fridge, why not have your cabinet maker put a wine rack inside and then recreate the door the door w/ a glass front. Seems like that would be a cheaper solution.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Oh, that's a good one, Beagles! A wine cabinet! Perfect if you want the look!

• nlion
    9 years ago

We have a new wine fridge; we recently upgraded our old one because we needed one that could hold more wine. We bought a GE Monogram, which in the world of wine fridges is a modest one.
    I'd mention too that if you like to buy good wine, the optimum temperature for long-term (red wine) storage is 55 degrees F, which requires a refrigerator.

• eve72
    9 years ago

If you can access your wine cellar relatively conveniently from the kitchen then in my opinion a wine fridge is not really necessary.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Love that tile and a pretty cabinet.

We drink wine quite a bit. I didn't have room to put this in our kitchen. Someday, I might put one in our wine cellar aka basement. One nice thing about a Michigan basement- it stays cool year round. We do have a floor, so officially doesn't qualify as a true Michigan basement.
    We do have a nice rack to hold the wine

I think part of the mystique of the wine experience is going underground and choosing just the right wine for the occassion.
    I stratify the wines based on quality so when DH goes hunting for a mid priced wine, he doesn't bring up a bottle of the best for pizza!

Beagles- good to see you are still chiming in. I was just thinking of the east coast GW group as we are heading to town to help DM move to assisted living

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Right, if you want to store wine, a wine rack in the kitchen is probably the last place where you'd want it.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so I changed wine fridge to drawers which will be bumped out and flanked by 2 decorative legs ( nicer then what's in drawing )

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like the way it looks. However, if you like the previous look, could you look into using a glass door base cabinet?