Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

Moving, no natural gas: WWYD-propane or induction stove?

peegee
9 years ago

I am SOOOO going to miss my gas range, and have been considering induction. Most of my All-clad should work fine. But I had always planned on moving my GE profile gas slide-in range or getting a 24" commercial-style unit, as in many years I've only used one burner 95% of the time. To do so now I'd need to have propane brought in. If you had to move to a place w/o natural gas, or already did so, WWYD/WDYD???

Comments (31)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Induction, hands down.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Induction! I love it. I have a gas range in my other home and hate it now that I have induction in this home. It is so easy to clean. Water boils lightning fast and it has a clean, beautiful look.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Induction without question. I switched about a year and half ago from gas and I am so glad we went with induction! If you haven't already, read the induction threads in the appliances forum.

• localeater
    9 years ago

When we did our kitchen reno I replaced my smoothtop electric with propane. I had to bring the propane in. I considered induction but didnt go for it because we are rural and lose power with ice storms in the winter- for days.
    If your new home will be subject to power losses, propane offers that advantage.

• avntgardnr
    9 years ago

We have no gas here...we are planning on induction in our next kitchen this summer. I can't wait!

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

Induction! Induction! Induction!

I used to have a gas stove, admittedly not a high end one, but I originally planned on a gas cooktop in our remodel. After lots of research I chose induction instead, and I love it.

If you get induction, you are not going to believe how fast, efficient, and responsive it is. Way better control with the low simmer IMO.

We have power outages for 1 to 3 days every once in a while (2 weeks only 1 time in last 20 yrs), due to Gulf hurricanes. But cooking inside is the least of my worries in that situation. We are either gone from evacuating, or we're here, and we just grill outside.

I'm trying to think of a situation where I'd vote for the propane, but I can't think of one. That doesn't mean there isn't a good reason to go with propane. It's just that I can't think of one. Maybe nostalgia for the gas flame? Or being used to gas and not sure if changing to induction would feel comfortable? Or maybe there's a reason that is specific to the region where you live that I just wouldn't think of.

Maybe you could get a portable plug in induction hob and see if you like it? Or find an induction range that is plugged in at an appliance store so you could test it out.

I feel kind of embarrased loving an appliance so much. I could bore you going on and on about all the reasons, but I'll spare you that. Oh well, in my book induction wins hands down!

• plllog
    9 years ago

Induction. And a propane grill to use if the power goes out.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

How do you carefully control the power on induction? Is it similar to how you do on an electric stove with low, medium, high settings?

• localeater
    9 years ago

Where do you live? I ask this question in response to pllog's comment to use induction and have a propane grill for when the power goes out. Where I live, when the power goes out, the temperature ooutside could be -17 F, which is extremely unpleasant for outdoor grilling.

• crl_
    9 years ago

My induction range has numbers for temperature on the burners. Mine goes from one to nine. The touchpad number controls are common for induction, but the Viking range has knobs. Because the stove top doesn't get hot, the adjustment is instantaneous--better than gas IMO. It boils water so fast I have had to adjust my cooking planning to account for a full pot of water for pasta to be at boil in just a few minutes.

I really can't imagine voluntarily switching back to gas.

Check out the induction threads in the appliances forum. Those converted me.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Induction. You will never look back. I'm currently in a vacation rental with gas and realize how very glad I am NOT to have it. I'd rather eat cold beans from a can during a power outage, but YMMV, of course.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Good point, Localeater. We whine if the low is below 50ð F. I have easy, cheap gas, and since I don't have or want a propane grill, I went for part gas/part induction partially (though not primarily) in case the power goes out (after a big earthquake gas might be available locally while the power might be out for days. I do have a propane fire table in case things get dire). Most people like having an outdoor grill, though, which is sufficient if one doesn't live where there are multi-day ice storms. :) Or where power outages are a regular occurrence.

Though I do believe that Igloochic spoke of regularly (i.e., on purpose, not emergency) using their Big Green Egg when the temperature in Alaska was well below 0ð. I think they turned it on, put the food on, closed the lid and went inside. :) I wouldn't! Set foot outside in below 0ð weather, that is. But I found propane very inconvenient when I had it, and induction is pretty wonderful if power outages are rare.

Texas Gem, Most induction has 17 power levels (1-9 with half stops between). In four years, I haven't ever wanted a level in between, though I did on the seven level, cheap portable I first tried. While it's true that gas is infinitely variable, in practice there isn't an appreciable difference in between. It would make a difference in getting the flame to the exact edge of your pot, but not in the cooking power when you move the knob just a hair. The people who change from gas to induction and don't like it don't complain about the power adjustments. They mostly just miss the flames. They want to see and feel the heat, or have primal communion with the miracle of fire. (Not being snarky. Some folks really feel that way.)

• chesters_house_gw
    9 years ago

I went propane, because I needed propane anyway for a fire place and it was already hooked up, And the dead stove left 40 inches to play with (there are no 36 inch induction stoves).
    Otherwise, on the basis of commercial induction hobs I've used it would be induction!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

We used to lose power frequently and for days! We set up a neighborhood meeting with DetEd years ago and they made improvements and we seldom lose power anymore. We even went 6 months without a blip! (We used to have blips almost daily!)

The last winter power outage, we were headed north for a ski race and turkey dinner. I packed up the turkey in a cooler and put on my porch until we were ready to leave.

I now have induction and am pleased with it. I wouldn't let power outages be the driving force in your decision. Summer - you can grill and winter- take the show on the road and visit your friends with power. We used to have a standing invite to visit our friends who didn't lose power.

Localeater- you are tough to stay when the temps go that low but I am betting you have a wood stove to supplement your heat!

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are awesome! Been away and just got back - will read through more thoroughly and respond tomorrow evening after work...I live in New england, for those who ask. Wish I had asked which brand/model of induction you have....had NO idea the responses would be so overwhelmingly in favor of induction. Wow!

• crl_
    9 years ago

I have a frigidaire range that I am very happy with (except that it's stainless as that's all that was available on my price range, I would strongly prefer white appliances personally). But there's a wealth of information on all sorts of induction options on the appliances forum.

• isixpacku
    9 years ago

I strongly considered induction prior to deciding on gas. I even used an induction stove in a vacation rental and loved it. However I read about what I perceived too many people having issues with humming or buzzing. That would drive me crazy and I decided to go with a gas rangetop. Will you have propane anyways for heat? If propane would solely be for the purpse of cooking, I would save money and go for induction. If you are going to have propane anyways, which didn't sound to be the case in the OP, then I would use propane for the range.

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

We decided on propane. We also tend to have power outages that can last several days at a time during the winter. We could have used our woodstove during outages, but I'm not a fan of frying bacon in the living room. I also didn't want to buy all new pots and pans. Our old cast iron would destroy a smooth top, and I'm a big fan of my vintage copper bottom cookware.

Our range is the only thing hooked up to propane now. We bought two 100 lb (I think) tanks. It's a simple tank exchange when one runs out.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Moved to a home with a gorgeous pro-style dual fuel range and thought I'd never, ever go back to an electric cooktop. Fast forward 12 yrs. & that range needs to be replaced. To everyone's surprise (including mine) I'm going with an induction range.

My propane-fueled range began to fail almost 2 yrs ago & I bought a single burner induction plate (Max Burton) to use in the interim & find out what all the fuss was about. I love it!

We have a lake place where I entertained family over this past weekend. Have a propane DF range there. I cooked up a huge batch of homemade meatballs & sauce & so wished I'd thought to bring my induction burner so that I could simmer for hours & never worry about adjusting the temp to prevent scorching. That's probably my favorite aspect w/ induction - the constant, even heat. I love it for making stocks for that reason, too.

I will concede that I like the substantial look & heft of a gas pro range, but I am making the trade off for function.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

pllog- I truly have considered an induction range vs a gas range but, maybe I am a little primal, because I can't imagine trying to make precise adjustments without SEEING the power level difference, e.g. the flame size. Every time I have had to cook on an electric stove using just power levels I have hated it.

Maybe one of these days I will get the chance to try cooking on induction and love it so much that I decide to switch. If so, at least I went ahead and ran gas AND 220v to my range location. :)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Peegee - welcome back. I was away also.
    Just a few more comments.

Both gas and induction allow a lot of control - much more than a standard electric.

Both have almost instantaneous results - although my induction does boil water faster than my friend's pro style gas cooktop.

Both have noise - Gas makes noise especially at high temps. Induction does have noise but less noticeable when the fan is running. Also, a new discovery - I have almost no buzzing noise when I turn off my LED lights in the kitchen - so plan to have Sparky come out see what is causing this...It only took me 2 years to figure this out as I almost always have the lights on when cooking. There are some low level cycling noises as well.

Gas has fumes that need to be vented (University of Michigan is conducting a study on health risks using gas - nothing has been published and they might not find any links)
    Induction does not have fumes but the magnets are still an unknown - although I am not cooking with my head 1-2 inches for a burner.
    In any case - you still want to vent the smells - LOL

Safety - if you have kids - there is no flame with induction. The glass surface does get hot but not scorching hot. It cools quickly as well.
    Of course, basic safety around stoves is still needed as the most common burn is pulling a pot of boiling water and spilling. (worked with many burn kids over the years)

You will be happy with your decision. Both are good options - just decide what you like and go for it.

NE is famous for the N'easter storms which can dump a lot of snow and ice very quickly. I survived many NE and mid Atlantic storms over the years. I am now in the MidWest - we get snow and ice but not nearly as much snow at one time as a N'easter produces(and the snow is different as well)

I have a Wolf 36- it works well. It has a mega burner for fast cooking that is not linked to other burners. It does not have a bridge - although the Wolf tech told me it was OK to bridge but haven't tried it. It does have some low level noises as I discussed above.

The Wolf does not have individual timers for each burner - I see advantages but also disadvantages to the concept. I already get beeperitis when cooking!

Let us know what you decide
    A2gemini

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Induction. No question for me.

We picked our appliances before I found GW, so, I went with a Kenmore Elite cooktop. If I were picking today, I would probably pick a different cooktop. Ours has stainless steel "bars" at the front and the back and they are a bit of a pain to clean compared to the ease of cleaning the rest of the cooktop.

I took the plunge without knowing anyone else who has induction. It was definitely a risk on my part since no one could tell me first hand what their experiences were, nor could I try it out.

The responsiveness is wonderful. It took a short period of time to adjust to what settings I need to get the temperature that I want - I'm used to looking at the flame of gas to determine where I need to be. Now, I learn that my "5.5" setting will work to keep me at a nice moderate cooking speed. "8" will get things moving along quickly. "1.8" is going to keep things just warm.

There are some clicks, particularly when it cycles at lower temperatures. I've grown used to it. It seems more common with some of my All-Clad pieces than other cookware that I use.

If we have a power outage, we have a gas range down in the basement that we kept for when I can and in worst case scenario, I could use it. Otherwise, grills work pretty well.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I'm a lifelong New Englander so can understand concern re power outages. Outdoor grilling is not an option here when the grill is buried under snow or encased in ice. We finally invested in a home generator for those emergencies.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Love my induction. I wouldn't go back to gas or electric. We have a generator so when the power is out, we have a single burner portable induction that we can plug into the wall. Also is great for parties.

And we have LP for our tankless hot water heaters and fireplace.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Texas Gem, there's nothing wrong with choosing the flames. :)

Amck, if you want the look of an impressive range anchoring your kitchen, but with a sleek, new induction cooktop, you can install it over drawers, or any kind of cabinet that will give you the correct air channel for cooling, and bump them out a couple of inches to give them prominence. Then, paint, stain, leaf or clad the stove base to make its statement and find cool hardware to complement the look. Add feet in the toekick to finish out the picture. It won't look like a range, per se (or at least not without being hopelessly kitsch), but it'll highlight the importance to the kitchen of the cooking area, and add some pizzazz.

If you have an oven below your cooktop, add some tall side storage, and a shallow drawer under, for trays and racks, and dress as above.

RE NOISE: There are high pitched tones that some induction cooktops make that only kids can hear (and the occasional outlier adult who is highly atypical in not losing that range of hearing with maturity). Additionally, there can be perfectly audible buzzes, thrums and clicks. These noises vary with the pan, the contents and the power level, so it's possible to have a unit that does it and never know for the first five years. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but in general, the massier the pan and the denser the food, the less you'll hear. Boiling water in a thin pan will often reveal them. Sometimes clicks come from inductors turning on and off at lower settings and are unavoidable. The audible to kids only sounds are usually persistent.

If old fashioned fluorescent tube lighting always drives you buggy, then the sounds of induction might not be for you, especially if you have a quiet kitchen in a quiet house in a quiet neighborhood. If you're thinking "Huh? What noise from the lights?" you probably won't hear it. If the noise from the fluorescents is something you hear but doesn't bug you, the same will probably be true with induction. When in doubt, turn on the hood and some music. :)

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    9 years ago

Induction! I can't take fluorescent lighting and I don't mind the rare clicks and high-pitched squeaks from my induction cooktop. Like lots of posters, I surprised myself. I was sad to leave gas, but this house is all-electric and I had no choice. Now I think it would be super hard to give up induction!

• amck2
    9 years ago

pllog, those are great suggestions you made above for giving a more prominent look & feel to an induction cooktop. I've already purchased my range, hood & fridge and the cabinets have been ordered according to their specs. However, I'm sure others reading this thread and considering induction will benefit from them.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

I just went from a gas (propane) range to an induction cooktop and I couldn't be happier. The induction is so much more responsive than the gas, it is amazing and FAST. I have a bottom of the line Bosch and yesterday I brought 6 quarts of cold water to a rolling boil in less than 5 minutes. A better quality induction induction cooktop would be even faster. I love that I can set it on low and it will stay low and never vary a degree. A sauce can simmer, unattended, for hours. If I turn it off it stops cooking instantly, much faster than the gas ever did. And yes, it has 17 levels plus a speed burst feature.

Bear in mind propane does not cook as hot as natural gas, you will have to get burners with a higher BTU to get the same results you get with your present range.

The only negative with my induction cooktop is that the touch pads are hard to see with my ancient eyes. In spite of that small issue, I could never go back to gas.

My All Clad was old and not magnetic so I bought an inexpensive ($169) complete set of induction compatible cookware from Costco. I intended to only use it until I could find the individual pieces of better quality pots I thought I wanted. I have already dismissed that idea, the Costco pots and pans work great. I found a non-stick "green pan" designed for induction and it works as well as it looks on the TV ads. It is ceramic so there are no harmful fumes.

Good luck with your decision.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I am also sensitive to fluorescent lighting and how it can cause flickering on computer screens. I used to cover my monitor at work or turn off the lights(no natural light so not an all day option).
    I complained to IT and the tech said it didn't flicker and others didn't see it (except for one other colleague with the same issue). IT gave me one of the first flat screen monitors which didn't flicker.

I do hear the noises and even could hear them on a you tube video from a GWebber who claimed their induction didn't buzz.

I do find multi layer pans more likely to make noise especially when the pan is cold.

And as I said above, turning off the lights makes almost all of the buzzing go away.

Bottom line - if you can get to a test center (and make sure they run on 240 and not 110) to see if you are sensitive and how much it bothers you

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

I wear hearing aids and can easily pick up the background buzzing noise fluorescent fixtures make but, so far, the induction has been silent for me.

• plllog
    9 years ago

The sounds of induction and fluorescent lights are different. I was just using the comparison as a gauge of how annoying it is. I am aware of all kinds of noises that most people tune out (or maybe can't hear) but they don't usually bother me. Some people hear one little buzz and freak out. Most people who hear them are in the middle some where.

a2gemini brings up a good point that I forgot. One way induction can make a noise that bugs the heck out of people is with multiply pans. Some are worse than others, but when the plies heat at different speeds, it can really get to people. One reason cast iron is so loved for induction might be it's general silence. :) It's massy and not layered. :)