Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice re: Architect Plans

Posted by woodwamc (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 16:54

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have been lurking here off and on for months, and am finally at the point where I need some advice.

History
We bought our house in October of 2012. The kitchen is outdated, the layout is poor, and the overall floorplan of the whole first floor needs some work. We worked with a professional kitchen designer from October to March. We paid 1500 for her services and thought that we would get more out of than we would. However, we found that all of her work was directed towards us hiring her to run our renovation. Her prices were very high for the area in regards to renovation. When we finalized plans, she had told us we would get a complete set of plans with lots of detail. Her final plans ended up being no more detailed than something someone at Home Depot could come up with in an hour.

We decided to pay her and take the plans we got (but never really loved the floor plan). We contacted some contractors, and they suggested we get an architect to make more detailed drawings (especially as we may be making some pretty big structural change). A contractor suggested an architect and we had him over. He has some great ideas that we like a lot. We just got our quote from him and I wanted to see if you thought that this was fair.

Design Development Phase: $3500
This does not include what he is calling the Construction Document Phase, the Bidding Phase, or the Construction Phase.

What do you guys think? We just want to makes sure that this is fair as we have already spent 1500 on plans that we aren't even going to use.

If you need any more details, please let me know. You all just seem so helpful.

Michelle W
Baton Rouge, LA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice re: Architect Plans

Hi Michele,
I am in MI and just contracted with an architect to draw plans for a 2 story addition of approx 1500 sq. feet (kitchen, FR, master bed & bath, reconfig 2 baths, and proposed plan for future finishing of basement. We are paying as follows:
$850- field measurements
$1500- design phase
$5500- complete construction docs, survey and whatever else city needs for approvals
I think this is very regional specific. I also think if you are bringing some useable ideas to the table there will be less time spent in the design phase than someone starting from scratch as you already have a feel for what you want to do. What is the charge to be for the construction docs? We already have a builder we have worked with successfully before so are not using architect for either the bidding or construction phase but he is including 4 field visits during construction to solve any issues that may come up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here