Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kompy_gw

White Painted Shaker Cabinet Pricing Comparison

kompy
11 years ago

For my own personal use, I priced out a wall and base cabinet in a few of my cabinet lines to see where each line stood on price. These prices do not include any manufacturer promotions currently running. All include freight costs. I looked up...with a bit of difficulty, the prices of IKEA. I thought there would be more SKUs and doorstyles.

Shaker door style

Maple Wood

White Paint

Drawer guides: Whatever comes standard

No upgrades

W3630

B36

Note: All are full overlay...except with Shiloh you can choose from full overlay or inset. Both are the same price right now. Ikea, Debut, KraftMaid and Plain & Fancy, all have full extension, soft close drawers as a standard.

Cost to Homeowner:

$600 to $650 for Ikea Akurum (req. assembly-$55 per box?)

$657 Debut Cabinetry: Oxford

$669 Medallion: Silverline Lancaster

$888 Shiloh: Shaker Inset (reverse raised panel shaker)

$916 KraftMaid: Atwater

$963 KraftMaid: Huntington

$983 Medallion: Potter's Mill

$987 Showplace: Pendleton

$1494 Plain & Fancy: Vogue Beaded Inset

So for 24' Lin. Ft of cabinets, costs would be:

$5,352 Medallion Silverline Full Overlay

$7,104 Shiloh Inset

$11,952 P&F Inset

I realize, much of this could change from dealer to dealer and region to region. If you add another brand of cabinet, I can add it to the list. Also some brands are higher on the extras like accessories, moldings and custom modifications. For cost comps in your area and for your kitchen, you still must do the footwork. But maybe this will help somebody.

Comments (96)

• azmom
    11 years ago

The lists here are so helpful, thank you for compliling them.

We have dealers here carrying Kemper, Ovation and Woodharbor. May I ask how they fit into the list? I understand that the list only provides a general sense among the brands.

• leeber01
    11 years ago

Kompy, super helpful, thank you for posting this. And yes, I definitely didn't know until recently that Wood-Mode is super high end. I was looking at a KD's website that states they are the #1 dealer of Wood Mode in the area...great, I figured they were budget friendly. Umm. Nope. SOOO the opposite!

This will be really helpful for me as I start thinking about the reno process so I don't have huge sticker shock. :-)

• kompy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Leeber, Just because your KD sells Wood-Mode does not mean he/she doesn't carry other brands that are more budget friendly. My showroom carries several lines from budget up to high end. If they are a Wood-Mode dealer....probably a good indication they are very good at what they do. Ask them first before disregarding them...."Do you carry other brands in my budget?" Most showrooms today probably at least carry semi-custom as their entry level.

• leeber01
    11 years ago

Kompy--thanks for the reminder and the nudge. This particular KD I was thinking of using is right by our new house and gets rave reviews from a bunch of people I know. I guess I was just intimidated with my comparably modest renovation budget. A good reminder that there are options! :-) Thanks again for the info.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

And keep in mind, if you visit a big box store, the prices on those brands can vary GREATLY. HD and L have about six big sales a year...we caught one and saved a tremendous amount. We are very happy so far with our Schuler cabs.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

If they carry Wood Mode, they probably then also carry Brookhaven, which is a more budget-friendly line that Wood Mode makes.

Many cabinet companies make several lines, to account for people's varying budgets.

• diab123
    11 years ago

We plan to order cabinets soon for remodel. Are considering a KD who deals in StarMark and Holiday cabinets. I see Holiday in your pricing lists, but does anyone know about Starmark---
    Where does it fall in the pricing scheme?
    What other cabinets are comparable to StarMark?
    If you have Starmark, are you happy with the product?
    Help! This is way more complicated than meets the eye.

• threegraces
    11 years ago

A 36" Cliq drawer base cabinet in painted white is about $422. A 30" tall 36" white wall cabinet is about $230. All of their prices are online. They are fully assembled and made by 6 Square.

I don't see where it says that Cliq and 6 Square are made in China.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Do any of you guys have access to UltraCraft pricing and where it would fall in this list ?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Helpful thread, glad it resurfaced.

• xmkx
    11 years ago

I would love info on UltraCraft pricing also. Based on the research I've done so far, all I know is that it is less expensive than Brookhaven but I have no clue how much les.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing pricing for Cabico. I think Cabico is less than Ultracraft but more than Brookhaven.

Thanks for the wealth of information you've given us.

• xmkx
    11 years ago

I would love info on UltraCraft pricing also. Based on the research I've done so far, all I know is that it is less expensive than Brookhaven but I have no clue how much les.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing pricing for Cabico. I think Cabico is less than Ultracraft but more than Brookhaven.

Thanks for the wealth of information you've given us.

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Kompy. This list is so very helpful! I am planning to use a shaker style white painted cabinet in my kitchen so this really gave me a good starting point.

This post was edited by belle_va on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:23

• ctbert
    11 years ago

Hi
    Any feedback on where Candlelight would fit in?
    Also on quality of Candlelight and Touchstone?
    We are looking at natural wood finished cabinets.
    Thanks!!!

• ctbert
    11 years ago

Hi
    Any feedback on where Candlelight would fit in?
    Also on quality of Candlelight and Touchstone?
    We are looking at natural wood finished cabinets.
    Thanks!!!

• Liz
    10 years ago

I would also like some additional price information. I am comparing Dura supreme, Greenfield, Bertch, and Brookhaven in a frameless Shaker cab. It looks like the Brookhaven is coming out the least expensive option in this group for me, and that is in a furniture board whereas the others are plywood. I am having a very difficult time finding out any info on Greenfield.

• dreamojean
    10 years ago

Anyone know where Thomasville or Kemper or Diamond (same manufacturer) would fit in? How about Conestoga (I know they only source to commercial not residential/owners but my architect can source them unbuilt, RTA and they seem less pricy but then you have to add assembly)

• ctbert
    10 years ago

Hi
    I would really appreciate feedback here
    We are looking at 2 KDs in our area. One has quoted us Touchstone and one Candlelight cabinets. For you experts out there (or anyone who has either brand in their house), would you say they are in a similar range as far as quality? Price? They both look nice, so I am wondering about durability. We are looking to do natural wood.
    Our GC has worked with both of these KDs; more recently has done a few Touchstone kitchens, and has been pleased with service and cabinets.
    Thanks for any insights you can offer.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much! I am saving this post and printing it now in case it disappears as I am revisiting cabinets after I finish some more tax extensions. This list is so good to know so I will only look at cabinets that I feel would be inside my budge when I figure out what that is. I don't want to overly improve my kitchen as I live in a townhouse in a high end neighborhood but it is still a townhouse but I also want to love my kitchen.

• aries61
    10 years ago

Does anyone know where would Dynasty by Omega fits in here?

I think live_wire_oak sells them at her new place.

• arlinester
    10 years ago

Has anyone used Elmwood cabinets. Or Fieldstone.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

I recently started to carry Elmwood after a long search for a good mid range frameless. I'll see if I can get comps up next week sometime. Pretty busy right now and in white shaker they have a lot of options (5 different constructions and at least 3 doors for just basic shaker)

I'm finding them to price, for real kitchens, between 5% under and 10% over Showplace. Been very pleased with them so far. My SIL has been installing them in another state for several years with no issues, weighed heavily on my decision.

• Muffett
    10 years ago

Anyone have experience with Cookshire? Thanks...

• aries61
    10 years ago

Bumping up for anyone who hasn't seen this. Very helpful to get a general idea of pricing for a popular style of cabinets.

• agerondeau
    10 years ago

Still blowing in the wind when it comes to settling on a style which is more timeless/traditional and which reminds me of my grandparents kitchen in France. Finally decided to pick flooring (how goofy is that) and work my way up. Found a warm, natural stone (Italy) with pockmarks. Liking it in tones of taupe, cream and tan. Now exploring Dynasty, ultima slab (cherry wood), color: nutmeg. Stymied when it comes to counter and backsplash. Also, since I am in goofy mode...eliminating all wall cabinets (I have a small pantry with pull-out shelves). Now I am told (by a KD) that tile for counters is passe and bullnose very hard to find. I am showing my age.

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

aries61, I too am happy to see this resurface. I haven't been on GW for quite a while and this was the numero uno thing I wanted to see. Thought I would have a hard time finding it but thanks to you, it is back!

I am sure prices have increased but I am assuming (???) the increases were fairly consistent across the board. Getting closer to finalizing my plans and decisions on which company's cabs so this really helps me.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I am so glad this post resurfaced.

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

Serious question...why would you spend all the money to get maple wood if you are going to paint it?

If painted is what you want, why not go with MDF or plywood?

• truffula
    9 years ago

Thanks. This is really helpful. I like the white shaker - wonder if people will be able to recognize the shaker style as very 2014 though.

• carolitis
    9 years ago

Does anyone have experience or input about IKS RTA cabinets? Especially their Classic White Shaker RTA cabinet? Quality of cabinet build and especially hinges etc... I know that their assembly instructions are not supposed to be great, but that they are easily assembled.Dave in Orlando mentioned IKS a while back in a short list of Quality RTA Cabinet Companies so I am surprised that they didn't come up here in the discussion of white shaker cabinets.I have not heard anyone with first hand experience with any IKS cabinets so I am interested in any input whether about the Classic White Shaker or their other styles as I believe quality will be similar except perhaps in their oak cabinet. Dealers sell these under different names - but some will call it Classic White Shaker. Any Input about the brand would be appreciated. For anyone looking for a White Shaker RTA cabinet to consider here is another and the price is competition. This is a clean bright white cabinet. IKS Cabinets do have ALL the desirable traits listed for judging quality RTA cabinets mentioned by a professional elsewhere on this site in another post. I have not seen any IKS Cabinets in person yet, or found any comments or reviews online though I have looked for them. So I would love any info before I order my cabinets.The BBB gives the company an A+ with never a complaint, compared to some RTA brands like Timberland who choose not to be members of the BBB and I have seen complaints about. I'd like to hear from real people with real experience.

• mabsy
    9 years ago

Thanks for this excellent thread and all the hard work that went into compiling the lists. I know this is an older thread, but if anyone could comment on where Rutt Regency and Crystal would fit into the list, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

• happy8765
    9 years ago

Does anyone know the the quality of schrock compared to kraftmaid. It seems like a sturdy cabinet.

• goodguy2k2k
    9 years ago

I think Conestoga is the best quality RTA cabinet available. Also as good or better quality than most non RTA cabs IMO.

• zoetrap
    9 years ago

Hi, I am learning so much. Thank you for taking the time and sharing your knowledge. Would any one know where Diamond and Schuler cabinetry would fit in?

This may be a silly question, what is the difference if any in the Diamond cabinets at HD compared to a kitchen design co.? Are they the same quality? Price?

• SoJersyLife
    9 years ago

Beware Medallion does not honor their warranty! We purchased $18,000 of cabinets from them. Not one single cabinet out of the box is good. Open miters on every door & drawer front, cracks all over the place gaps inside the cabinets, and the stacked cabinets don't match up at all. The range hood is cracked and scratched so badly we didn't even take it out of the box all the way. They are only offering us $5,000 credit towards a new set of cabinets. #medallionfailsoncraftmanship

• AnnB18
    9 years ago

Hi. Has anyone had experience with StarMark cabinets. I was wondering if people were satisfied with the quality and relative pricing. I want to keep to a "middle/lower upper" price range but would like to be sure the quality is good. I appreciate any insight from people's experience.

• Jillykitchen
    9 years ago

Has anyone heard anything, positive or negative, about a small independent Amish cabinet company called Schrock's of Walnut Creek, Ohio? Schrock's of Walnut Creek is not affiliated with Schrock Cabinetry (Masterbrand Cabinets). I'm considering their solid maple butt hinged shaker style inset cabinets. One thing that concerns me is the lack of a warranty.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

SoJersyLife, thank you for the warning about Medallion Kitchen cabinets. So sorry that you had to go through this.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

anyone know what the price range is for signature cabinets?

• PRO
    Keith Cammarata Coastal Cabinet Works
    8 years ago

SoJersey life most likely purchased medallion silver line they have open miters. The reason silverline is less then designer is the hand work applied to the seams on the mitered door and use of veneered center panels .

Signature varies based on the series

Westhampton beach · More Info

Select, Custom or Premium

Signature Cabinetry (custom ) with 1'' doors and frames flush inset both sides finished and wall cabinet at 14'' deep

colonial door with slab drawer head

$2,144.00 this is a great product for the price Due to the 1'' door and frame

• connie1722
    8 years ago

I purchased the aspen white Essex SHILOH inset cabinets for $27000 before tax for 32 linear feet. I think ARA CABINETS 4u really overcharged me. The quality of the paint and construction are not that great

• mabsy
    8 years ago

I was appalled and so disappointed to read about a horrible experience that a GW poster has had with Crystal Cabinets: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3236981/crystal-cabinetdisastrous-remodel?n=87

Anyone considering Crystal inset painted cabinets should read this thread started in July, 2015. After delaying a kitchen remodel for a few years, I had pretty much decided that Crystal would be a good choice, but there is no way that I would use them after reading this. I'm not sure what to use for cabinets now.

• PRO
    Taylor Made Cabinets, Leominster MA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

One Note to keep in mind is the Installation Fee. It varies so much from contractor to contractor that I recommend getting that quote at the same time as your cabinets.

The cabinet installation price can range from 3000.-6000. and even 15,000. for the same size job depending what town you purchase your cabinets and also which town you live in. If your installation price is lower, then you can spend more of your budget on the cabinets.

Our company includes the installation in our quotes because we are both the Cabinet maker and the Installer (of our own handmade cabinets.) Although our cabinets are higher priced, our delivery/installation price is a lot lower. ( If we were to separate it, is only about 3000. for a large kitchen.) If you make sure to get the installation price from each company when you are comparing one company to the next, you may actually fine out that we actually can fit into your budget.

Another savings going with a Cabinet Maker is that we do not have to charge you sales tax on the cabinets because we already paid the sales tax when we purchased our material. Since we are installing them ourselves permanently into your home and are not a retailer, we do not have to charge you sales tax. That also offsets the price for comparison sake. * (Not sure if this is the same outside of Massachusetts.)

The quality of the installation can also really impact the kitchen you are going to look at for years to come. How the Crown Molding is mitered and fits, how the doors & drawers line up, if they open and close smoothly or not and also, do they come back for maintenance and adjustments down the road when you need it? I hope this is all helpful information to you as well!

• lstryer
    7 years ago

Please comment on Greenfield vs CWP vs River Run cabinets

• Deborah lippitt
    5 years ago

The focus of the original conversation was white shaker..In my research I have found that paint finishes are different from wood stain. So that a company might have excellent wood products but poor paint finishes. The Medallion line..all poor reviews were of the paint finished doors..paint flaked off..So I will continue my search for a company that has durable paint finishes.

• newproject858
    5 years ago

How can Brookhaven cost less than Shiloh??

• L P
    3 years ago

@ Deborah lippitt, Did you have any success finding a durable white painted cabinet door? Thanks!

• ashleyb345
    2 years ago

@Deborah lippitt yes would love to know too!

• Deborah lippitt
    2 years ago

In the end i found consensus was: paint doesn't hold up like basic finished wood..even ones you buy already painted... I prefer Ben Moore myself..they have a trim paint.

I gave up refinishing my 3 bathrooms vanities and redid them all entirely..used a local cabinet maker and we installed them ourselves. I did paint 2 windows white..striped to bare wood primed with oil base primer and used Ben Moore's trim paint. we'll see how they hold up compared to the other outside casements(all 14 ..UGH!)which need refinishing after approx. 20years..which I will refinish with Spar Marine Varnish.

• goodguy2k2k
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We installed (ourselves) shaker inset white Conestoga RTA cabinets from & worked with Cabinet Joint to order. Would I do it again?... not sure. It was a lot of work & since RTA and factory painted, you have to plan everything super careful to account for seams, joins, etc. No t sure I would do insets again as those shows any misalignment unlike overlaps which can hide door alignment issues. The cabinets are very high quality wood and construction for the price BUT factory (white) is beginning to show yellowing around stove and garbage bin door where you touch it, etc - in other words, hard to keep factory finish looking great for long if you use your kitchen like we do. So we saved a ton of money over semi custom or custom but it was a lot of work to build, install, rewire, etc. Took me months of working by myself to do it and probably could have done a bit better job. There are some limits as to what you can do RTA but I found out after the fact, I probably could have done a bit more custom orders on a few cabs with Conestoga but I went with a more standard size which left a couple cabinets not exactly custom looking but fine (like a gap between frig and upper cab is not a exact fit but show a gap of 2-3 inches (I would have preferred it to be a built in, custom made look but nobody really notices its a nitpick. I am think they will need to be repainted after 10-12 years (white shows alot). Out painter does repaints of old cabinets and uses a specific euro product to do so . Never realized how many necessary steps there are to do a cabinet repaint correctly but here is a video (he has q couple which discuss the product and steps). https://www.facebook.com/toddthepaintr/videos/195740918684028