Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abfabamy

Pictures of an almost finised kitchen...just needs the frosting!

abfabamy
11 years ago

Hi everyone! I have received so much help throughout our remodel, that I wanted to post a big thank you along with some pictures from our almost complete kitchen. Please forgive the large photos, I have never been able to figure out how to post them small!

We bought our house about 1 and a half years ago and knew the 80's kitchen (albeit, with updated stainless appliances) would have to go! Golden oak, angled island, and yellowed vinyl floors just were not our style. It has taken about 7 months to get to where we are, but, with the exception of the granite, we have done ALL the work ourselves.

I wanted to wait until everything was completely finished, but now I realize it may be a long time before that day comes! We are still looking for just the right "frosting" (window treatments, throw rugs, counter stools, pendant lights, accessories, etc). We are using some of our previous items as stand-ins until the "perfect" pieces come along.

Hopefully, I can continue to bounce ideas off everyone as we attempt to reach the finish line. Currently, I am obsessed with finding the right pendant light!! So far, a very elusive creature, indeed. We haven't even painted the ceiling in the kitchen because I can't even decide if I want 1 light or 2. As you look at the photos, any suggestions regarding lighting above the island would be most welcome!

This is how the kitchen looked when we bought the house. Along the right side, but out of view, was a 7 ft long pantry closet.

This is what the attached eat-in area looked like.

We did a little reworking of the layout and moved the refrigerator and installed a pantry cabinet where the old pantry closet was.

Our granite is called Magma, but it looks nothing like other Magmas I've seen! it reminds me more of Seinna Bourdeaux.

We removed one of the windows in the eating area (left side of photo) and installed a door so we could have direct entry into the kitchen from the driveway. We chose to have a casual seating area instead of a kitchen table and chairs.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help!

Comments (23)

• eriepatch
    11 years ago

Everything looks wonderful and congrats on being DIY'ers

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Looks really great. There is nothing so satisfying as a DIY project. Our last kitchen was DIY and quite frankly that is why it was so special to me.

Congrats!

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Your kitchen and the view are gorgeous! I like the way you rearranged things and the smaller island with stools, as well as that lovely sitting area. By the way, where did you put the microwave, inside of a cabinet?

• abfabamy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Yes, this DIY has been a satisfying labor of love.

Texasgal47, we did put the microwave, as well as a countertop/toaster oven in a cabinet. We had the end cabinet and the appliance garage made 18" deep to accomodate both appliances. So far, it has works out better than I could hope for. It's just my husband and I. We mostly use the kitcen in the evening after work. I was worried about the doors having to be open, but that hasn't been a problem at all. For the amount of time we use either item, not having to look at them when not in use has been wonderful!

{{!gwi}}

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

look great! you did a wonderful job. I love your hidden toaster oven and MW area. The pendant you have up there looks great so I can see why you might just take your time. The tile behind your range is a nice pop! congratulations - must be such a good feeling to be done.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Beautiful job!
    Love the countertop and your island especially. Wish we could be DIY but not with DH back or our work schedule..

• carybk
    11 years ago

Many great improvements. Good for you. I am in awe of DIYers.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Lovely kitchen and kudos for the DIY job well done! It has great clean lines and the granite is quite nice! The backsplash behind the range is neat!!!
    I really like the windows in the eating/sitting area and great idea to install the door, it all brings the lush outdoors into the space! Enjoy for many years to come!!!
    Cheers!

• abfabamy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the wonderful compliments! It has been such a great experience, but I am soooo tired of working on things! We also completely remodeled the adjoining laundry at the same time. There is still painting and other miscellaneous finish trim work to be done, but with the warmer weather here, we are not moving very fast on that. Looking forward to taking the summer off from inside DIY and moving to outside DIY!!

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Very, very nice! Love the hidden microwave and toaster oven. Much better layout, overall, and I bet it's so much nicer to have the island within useful reach, and not spanning across the corner of the space.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Very nice! And very impressive that it was a DIY job. Love how you did the tile behind the range. Enjoy your new space! And have fun shopping for the frosting. :)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Ver nice. Love how you tucked your small appliances away. Love that fan.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I can't tell you how impressed I am! All DIY?!?!?! I'm not very handy, so it's hard to imagine. Your kitchen looks so inviting, and your windows are amazing. Incredible job.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Everything is so fresh and cheery. I love your counter and backsplash. Your kitchen would be a happy pleasant place to work! You did really good!!

• Painted_Nest
    11 years ago

Congratulations and Bravo for a project well done. Hope you create many happy culinary memories :)

• abfabamy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, thanks so much everyone! It feels so good to be able to finally share it! We are having a much better time working in this space. Although, a few things are still reminding us we have a little ways to go...like the bare toe kick along the sink wall, and the fan that doesn't vent to anywhere yet (it just looks good right now)! I guess we are super burned out!

@rhome410, the layout and function are so much improved! I can't begin to tell you how utterly non-functional the former island monstrosity was...really, what were they thinking! I owe you a big thank-you in particular for the improvement. You posted an island layout for me in one of my request for feedback with the seating wrapping around a corner. I had never thought of that. I reworked the island using your suggestion, and that's how it stayed. Being able to sit across from my husband instead of next to him at dinner is one of my favorite things about our new kitchen. You really are a great resource, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

• shelwebb
    11 years ago

I love your little sitting area near the windows- where did you get your chairs from? Thanks!

• abfabamy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@lewebb, the chairs, cushions, and ottomans came from Pier 1. Very comfortable!

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Of course, finishes are beautiful, and the light from those windows so much more enjoyable. (Did you need to replace the windows themselves, or just paint the sills?) I especially like your granite with the cabinet color, just perfect together, and the refrigerator wall seems so elegant to me. The proportions of the cabinet doors are right for the space.

So glad you posted your kitchen. Yours is one of those decent-sized, but not overlarge spaces that many people searching these boards can use for their own layout.

Please let us know your granite, cabinet brand/style/color and ideally also your faucet, drawer handles and tile colors. I think you will be much copied:)

• Alice Johannen
    11 years ago

Yes, please let us know the particulars about the cabinets especially! (We are gearing up for a kitchen renovation and are researching cabinets ... can you tell?)

• abfabamy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@colorfast and @alicepalace, thanks for the interest in our kitchen. Our kitchen is small by many standards on this board! I spend much time on here drooling over the large and very well appointed kitchens!

We did replace the window above the sink to a larger one. The other windows are the same, we just replaced all the molding, baseboard, and trim throughout the house to a wider profile and painted everything white so it appears larger.

Ours was a very midrange budget. The pariculars as I recall:
    Cupboards - Kraftmaid Deveron Cherry - Ginger w/Sable glaze. Handles were included from Kraftmaid with the cupboard order.
    Granite - The granite place called it Magma, but is so similar to some Seinna and Typhoon Bordeauxs.
    Appliances - Frigidaire Professional
    Stove vent - Ancona ordered from Costco
    Faucet, soap dispenser, and filtered water dispenser - Brantford
    Sink - Ticor S113
    Backsplash from The Tile Shop - field tile is Imperial Bianco Crazed subway. Above stove is Imperial Bianco Crazed 6 x 6 and Mexican Sand Shimmer cracked glass accent tile.
    Floor tile from Home Depot - 18 x 18 porcelain Daltile in Tuscany Chablis
    Xenon undercabinet light bars from Lowes
    6" Halo recessed cans with Cree LED inserts

• hatethecold_gw
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen! Can you also tell where you got the fan in the sitting room? It is not the normal fan which is a wonderful thing! TIA

• abfabamy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you @hatethecold (me too!) The fan is from Lowes. It's an Allen & Roth fan. It's is not the usual fan, which is precisely why I had to have it! Feels great when your in the chairs!