Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Blind Cabinet Solutions

Revashelf is not an option. Our KD called to check with them, and due to the placement of the DW, we can't use anything except those half circle things that hold nothing.

I know they must have competitors. Suggestions? Who competes with Revashelf?

This is the Dishwasher side, which ends in a corner and it turns to the sink wall with a cabinet, but the DW is the problem with Revashelf in the blind corner.

I don't think the contractor's KD has the world's best software.

Thanks in advance!
Suzi

Comments (21)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Can you post a top view with dimensions?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I knew this was coming. I can't. Who competes with revashelf?

Original Author
    10 years ago

I did send an email to the KD. We'll see if she has an overhead. I'm getting lost in the process for sure.........
    Suzi

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Knape and Vogt makes one, there is also the Magic Corner II (? who makes it), I think Rev-a-shelf makes one that isn't the half-moon style too. Hafele? All pretty expensive as I recall.

OH, google "omega national wood blind corner caddy"

I think they sell on Amazon

Hope that helps

• xedos
    10 years ago

Why is the dishwasher preventing a blind corner solution ? I don't understand.

Kessebohmer/ Hafele make units as well as KV.

Futaba has a unit too.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

The big three for inserts are
    Hafele
    RAS
    Knape & Vogt

The first two hold the lions share. Hafele tends to be the highest quality and usually has a pricetag to match.

• Buehl
    10 years ago

You're getting the question about posting your plan b/c from what we see, there's no reason you can't put in a corner susan or other corner solution - but since we cannot see what you have, we can't say for certain.

KDs are not omniscient - they don't always come up the best solution, so it's always a good idea to get several opinions - and you can do that for free here!

Good luck!

• berner43
    10 years ago

I have a similar layout to yours. The dishwasher placement only gave me room for a 9" cabinet in the corner. Instead of doing a blind corner I am doing a 9" cabinet next to the dishwasher and a 24" 2 door cabinet with 4 shelves facing into my breakfast room to hold placemats, napkins, etc. I am using a hafele
    suzy-q in my other corner. It's huge and the doors fold into the cabinet so I don't have those bifold doors. Just another idea! Good luck!

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

I have a similar set up too. I have a smaller lazy Susan there--doors measure just over 8" each. It still holds a lot! Have all of my strainers and serving things there (for now--just moving things in)

We used to have a cabinet in that corner that you accessed from the other side. Hated it!!! I kept the kids' games and puzzles in there. It was a black hole---and we always bonked our heads on the counter getting up.

• suburbanrancher
    10 years ago

Interesting that you don't have options according to your KD. We have a dishwasher right into the corner with a 3 or 6" filler (can't remember) for door opening allowance, so not even a 9" cabinet. The blind corner cabinet uses the Hafele Magic Corner pullout. It holds the following: griddler, waffle maker, pasta roller, blender, large food processor, and other items I can't remember off the top of my head. As my husband said after I loaded it up: "This is officially awesome."

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll check out all the options you have suggested today, and I'm sure we'll find one that works!

Heidihausfrau! You made me laugh! We will have one of those corner access on the other side under the peninsula, and I'm sure we will be bonking our heads too! I thought I'll put things in there that are rarely used.

As to our KD, she is an employee of our contractor, so although he calls her a KD, she basically does what he says. Answers the phone, shows customers carpet samples, etc. She knows how to work with the KD software, and can email layouts, but I haven't seen an overhead.

Where did we get him? We used him on a previous home, but the work wasn't as extensive at it is in this one, so we are finding out you get what you pay for...

Thanks to all of you!

I'll let you know what we end up with.
    Suzi

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I suspect that you have a number of options other than the half moon corner solution. I did, but wasn't willing to spend the $$$. The half moon with pivot and slide (the sliding action is key to being able to access things) is working well for me, though it's not as space efficient as others. Only $160.

I'm sure you'll find something that works for you!

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Blind corner solutions DO require minimum size cabnets. Most of them need larger than a 36" blind corner base in order to fit. And the clearance needed for the DW will be different if it is one that has a handle that projects rather than the traditional handle inset into the door kind.

Also, I would NOT want a DW "around the corner" as pictured in your layout. It's not a comfortable way to load dishes. Surely there are alternatives that can get your DW closer to the point of use.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Greendesigns, our DW is perpendicular to the sink, and it works fine for us. I don't pre-wash my dishes, so "point of use" is the dining room table for loading, and the cabinets above and to the right of the DW for unloading. The sink doesn't really play in - or if it does, I rinse items in the sink, and set them on the counter above the DW, prior to loading.

I know that "DW next to the sink" is a Golden Rule here, but it isn't always the best solution - it certainly isn't in my kitchen. Without a full layout of desertdance's kitchen, it's hard to say if that is the best place for the DW or not.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

I agree with annkh. In our u shaped kitchen, the dishwasher is around the corner. Works fine for us, too. Garbage is right next to the dw, so we scrape and place. Only rinse before washing occasionally, and it isn't an issue at all.

Original Author
    10 years ago

OK! Here is the layout. The sink is just a plain double SS sink, but I guess the KD software doesn't have that feature.

The DW has to be where it is, and I'm OK with it there. I can rinse and place dishes on the counter prior to loading. The trash drawer had to be to the right of the sink.

The trouble corner is next to the DW. Custom home, and plumbing is kind of weird, so the cabinet can't go all the way back. Doesn't show in the picture. Sorry.
    Suzi

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I think I would shift the sink some put the DW to the left. Let that little odd space be empty and then use the other space for some larger drawers.

Also investigate putting your trash under the sink. With a regular SS sink I don't think that should be an issue. We have put our trash under there. Just needed to make sure the plumbing was done towards the back. We did cut a notch in our trashcan to not have to re-do our plumbing at all. It is about a 2" square on the back edge so very small.

This way we are not wasting premium cabinet space either.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Is that a wall oven in the middle of your counter run? Put that thing next to the fridge so you can have an uninterrupted counter space and slide the cooktop down as far towards the peninsula as you can. And don't focus so much on having the sink centered. It's throwing everything off. You'd be better off going with a 25" single and shifting that to the right to get the DW on the U.

• desertsteph
    10 years ago

" I am using a hafele suzy-q in my other corner. It's huge and the doors fold into the cabinet so I don't have those bifold doors. "

can you post a pic of it? I don't think I've ever seen a corner cab with fold in doors!

for access to cabinet area on the OTHER side of the peninsula, use drawers. saves bonking the head.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the layout advice, but we have signed off on that a couple weeks ago, and I'm just looking for solutions for that one blind corner. Cabinets and appliances have been ordered and will be installed late May or early June.

The KD is looking at all your ideas!

Thanks so much!

Suzi

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

That's pretty cool! It's on sale at Build.com for $340, but the shelves themselves are another $280.

Here is a link that might be useful: hafele suzy-q