Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

A cooktop, prep sink and seating how to fit it all on the island?

ontariomom
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

For a ten foot island, what is the best way to fit a prep sink, seating and a 30" cooktop (induction). Yes I know cooktops on islands are not for everyone, but they are for me (I have read the cons and still want one). Here is our island spacing for 125.5 " which will require a seam in the island. If we reduce the island to 119" where shall we take the extra inches away? I am not keen on having all the seating in a row, which is why I show seating on two sides of the island. We are a family of 6, but there is everyday dining room seating close by too.

Here is the island at 125.5" in length. Next is the layout of the rest of the kitchen, which you will see is not small. How would you fit everything in on a ten foot island (or should we get a seam and move on).

BTW, we are happy with the kitchen layout, and want to focus on fine tuning the island in this post.

Thanks,

Carol

Carol

Comments (19)

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

can you get the prep sink off the island and somewhere on the perimeter counter?

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I'd like to see more than 42" between seating and wall where the decorative plates, especially since that's the path to the fridge. Would you be okay with scooting the island a couple inches towards the clean-up sink?

It's hard to tell from your drawing but have you allowed 24" width for each person at the island? Have you allowed enough knee room for the two people at the corner? You've got a generous aisle between island and freezer. Could you do something like this?

I changed the shape of the seating area of the island and moved it 2" towards the clean-up sink.

As for having a cook top in your island, I can't see anything wrong with your plan. You've allowed adequate prep space next to it, plus ample room behind it, plus island venting. This is heads and tails better than my island cook top: only 16" on either side of it and downdraft venting. I hate it and can't wait to move the cook top to the perimeter (I don't have the luxury of space to accommodate a 10' island).

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@illinigirl: Thanks for your comments. I would definitely prefer the prep sink on the island. I really want the run of water/prep space/cooktop all in one location.

@lisa_a: I truly like what you did with the seating (and yes we can easily shift the island down a few inches away from the clean-up part of L as you show). Very nice! I am thinking with your design, I would need more than one 10 foot slab (chosen quartz usable space is 55" X 119"). So, with your design where would you put the seam? Thanks!

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lisa,

Please come back and tell me if you envisioned the island you drew to have all one counter material with a seam to accommodate the size, or something else (i.e. a change of counter material or counter level for circular seating area). I am keen to know more about your proposed island plan.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Good point, greenhaven.

OntarioMom, here's a slight tweak to the above plan. This one has a simpler shape to the seating area.

The island is still the same length as before (the same length as your island), just 6 inches wider at the seating end. It would be a good idea to do a mock-up to make sure you can seat 4 comfortably, with plenty of room for legs and elbows. Your island design has 55" along the long side and 51" along the short side. According to NKBA guidelines - 24" minimum width per person seated at the counter - the two people at the corner will be sharing roughly the same leg room area, which won't be comfortable. My island design gives you a bit more room but I don't know if it's enough. You'll be able to seat 3 comfortably. I just don't know if you'll be able to seat 4.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greenhaven,

To answer your question, I don't know where on the island a seam should go, or if we should just shorten the island to avoid a seam all together. If we do have a seam, I believe the fabricators will decide where to place the seam anyway (or so my DH was told today).

Lisa,

Thanks for the images of wood/stone counters. I like them. The granite/fabricator rep told us today he could not but a wood counter up against a stone counter, unless we changed the level of the wood counter from the stone. So we are going to explore that option further.

Thank you very much for reworking your island plan. I am going to see how much more it would cost to do the rounded part shown as it is appealing to me. I get what you said about having two people at the corner. We will need to mock that up. Perhaps we need more than 55" along the long side so those seated in the corners are comfortable and have enough leg room.

Thanks again for your help.

Any more opinions on the island (either Lisa's or my original rectangular one?

Carol

• williamsem
    9 years ago

I don't have your key handy and I don't recall if you will have framed or frameless cabs, so this may not work, but what about using 15 inch waste cabinets (since you will have two of them) and making W/K areas 3 inches shorter to take out the 6 inches and lose the seam? You'd have to cheat the overhang to wiggle the last 1/2 inch out, but as long as you stay at 15 in or more it should be fine from what I've read here previously.

Other than that, you have put so much thought into this plan already that it might be best to leave it alone and take the seam. With much discussion about placement and matching expectations.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Williamsem for your thoughts and rationale. You are right, DH and I have put enormous thought into this plan and maybe it is best just to take the seam and move on.

I do think shortening the space between cooktop edge and prep sink edge by 6 inches would be missed in that spot as I see that space between cooktop and prep sink as such key prep space. On the other hand, taking 6 inches from the right of the cooktop could pose some safety issues.

On Wednesday, I am going back to the granite show room to ask them to show me pictures of seams they have done. Maybe it is not that bad after all. I think a seam in quartz (which is what we have chosen) could be less noticeable compared to a busier granite.

Unless I change the counter materials at the seating or elsewhere to avoid a seam and keep the length.... oh the first world pain of decisions!

Carol

• andreak100
    9 years ago

OntarioMom - if you have a great fabricator, there's no need to be afraid of a seam. I don't know exactly what you're using for countertop, but seams can be done well. (Actually, I'm one that thinks our seams look pretty good...so we are out there!) Also, I like the seating arrangement that Lisa came up with for you. Definitely look at your fabricator's seams to see how they look.

Here's a picture of one of ours (we have 2 seams)...you can tell that it's there of course, but it's extremely tight and pretty smooth:

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I just had quartz counters put in and the installers did a top notch job in every single respect, including my one seam. I was wiping up the other night and I kept "feeling" something. I realized it was my seam,which is so well done I do not notice it and have to look hard to see.

I knew my guys had a full, full day so I straight up said, right at the beginning, that I hoped they would take their time and do a good job and not rush just because the had such a busy day.

It was then up to me to make sure the job was a quality one before signing their release. On the other hand it was important for me to know ahead of time what to expect so I did not have unrealistic expectations for how the finished product would turn out.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks andrea and greenhaven for your thoughts on seams and glad to know you were both happy with the seams. Funny, greenhaven that you did not even realize what your were feeling on the counter as you had missed the seam. The picture below shows our quartz. I hope it will lend itself to blending in with a seam too.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I don't have any seating at our island because the room is not wide enough. However, the rest of your island layout is the same as mine - the prep sink is across from the fridge and the beverage center, our range is in the island (with a hood), and one side of the island is where the main walkway is. My island is about 10.5 feet long. I LOVE this setup! For big gatherings, this design eliminates all the problems the old layout had.

I am excited to see your finished product.
    Diane

• isabel98
    9 years ago

I also have a seam with madre perla quartzite between two slabs from different lots; there is a difference in color but the seam is so small; so well done. It is there of course and I can see it but I doubt anyone else would even notice unless they were looking.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

powermuffin,

Thanks for your comments. Are you able to post your island layout, or describe the spacing from side to side to help me compare what works for you with my plan? Given you find 10.5' feet the right length without seating, that tells me I should hold on to every inch I can fit and not worry about a seam.

Isabel98,

Thanks for your reassurance that seams are not that noticeable.

Carol

• alermar
    9 years ago

Ontariomom -- which kitchen design program did you use for your layout? Our islands will be similar, but I don't have a good drawing of my layout yet (it's all pen & ink).

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

alemar,

My DH drew up our kitchen plan using Corel Draw. He has used that program a ton for his job, so it was the way to go for him. I don't think it would be the best program for those not familiar with the program. .

Maybe others will join in and tell you what design program they use. Or, you could start another thread asking for design program suggestions.

Good luck!

Carol

• alermar
    9 years ago

Ok, thanks. I've tried some others, but I'm hopeless :)