Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricklish

99% Done - Ricklish Kitchen

ricklish
15 years ago

Here is our 99% finished kitchen!

Special thanks to all the GWers for all the great advice and support throughout the project! Your help was priceless!!

Here are the details...

Range-American-ARR486GDI

Cabinet Insert--Broan-Model PIK45

Exhaust Blower--Broan-EB15 (external)

Refrig--Sub Zero-700TR

Freezer--Sub Zero-700TFILHD

Dishwasher--Bosch-SHV45M03

Microwave--Kitchen Aid-KBHS109S

Perimeter Cabinets  Joliet Cabinet Co  Silk with brown glaze and spatter, Softclose and Full-Ext

Island Cabinets  Joliet Cabinet Co  Blue with black glaze

Cabinet Latches  Restoration Hardware - Brushed Nickel

Cabinet Knobs & Bin Pulls  Expo Design Center - Belwith - Period Brass (K444, K443) Satin Nickel

Label Bin Pulls - Armac Label Holder & Bin Pull in Satin Nickel from antiquehardware.com

Backsplash  Beadboard painted Silk with brown glaze and spatter to match cabs

Sink  ShawÂs 3719 double bowl sink

Faucet  Graff Vintage Series Kitchen Faucet with Spray in Brushed Nickel

Pot Filler  Giangi  Brushed Nickel

Air Switch  Insinkerator

Disposal  Insinkerator Excel

Decorative glass  Chantilly by Traditional Door Glass (AJs Decorative Glass)

Brick  Aberdeen

Tin Ceiling  American Tin Ceiling  Snap-Lock - Creamy White Satin, Pattern #2 with C2 crown

Dining Rm Fixture  Murray Feiss - Segovia 3-light 23" Peruvian Bronze Kitchen Island Lighting Fixture

Kitchen Island Pendants  Restoration Hardware  Burnham Pulley Lights in Bronze

Soapstone Counters  Rocktops/Norstone - Mariana Reserve Clear

Island Bar Counter  Antique Pine Barnwood finished with Minwax Early American stain and 5 coats Varathane Water-based Satin Poly  fabricated by GC

Pantry Door  Feather River Door

Kitchen paint  Behr Int Eggshell  Desert Camel

Dining Room paint  Behr Eggshell  Harvest Brown

Thanks again for all your input and advice!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ricklish Kitchen Slideshow

Comments (35)

• beachlover2
    15 years ago

I would love to see the pictures! The link takes me to an error page.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I get the "Error Page" too

• ricklish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooops, forgot the teaser photo!

• ricklish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for the bad link, try this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ricklish Finished Kitchen

• mike_r_2000
    15 years ago

Wow that looks phenomenal. Love the cat door... also thats a beautiful range and your DW and fridge/freezer blends in so well.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Very pretty. Your art glass is lovely. Enjoy!

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

Lovely!

• User
    15 years ago

SIMPLY STUNNING !!! c

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

There is so much in that kitchen that I love -- the lights, beadboard, brick, sink, faucet, bin pulls with labels, and of course that beautiful blue island! The whole kitchen has a wonderful period/cottage/farmhouse feel to it. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy for many years!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Beautiful kit. Everything blends so nicely. I especially love the counters and pendant lights.

• chmpgntst
    15 years ago

The noises I made while watching your slideshow were roughly the same as I make when I'm eating cheesecake -- simply put, your kitchen is DELICIOUS!

The blue island is fabulous, especially with the green cushion at the window seat. What lovely choices you made!

Amy

• ssjm
    15 years ago

WOW, what a gorgeous kitchen!!! Enjoy..........

• ricklish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your kind comments, we ARE enjoying our new space! I had to chuckle though, chmpsntst, the 'green' cushion falls into the 1% that isn't finished!! That is just a piece of foam for the seat cushion, sewing the cover is still on my To Do list!! LOL

• igloochic
    15 years ago

what a beautiful space. i'd kill for that much kitchen! and definately one that big and that beautiful! what a lovely job!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Love the style of your kitchen - the beadboard, the brick, the arched niche over the range, the plate rack, the soapstone, the window seat - and I really love how the walls angle inward at either end, wrapped with those gorgeous cabinets. Truly outstanding in every way! Great design and style and wonderful details, love it ALL!!!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Really, really pretty. Great choices. Love the lights. Did you expand into another room or add on to increase the size of the kitchen? Great, great job! Just beautiful! How do you like your American?

• ricklish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!
    mustbnuts - we eliminated the formal Living Room (which we never used) and made that space into the new Dining Room. We combined the old Dining Room, which was adjacent to the old kitchen, by removing the wall. We also widened the room by 2 feet by expanding the bay that was already in the old DR across the sink window wall. My goal was to avoid a long and narrow space. With the angled wall for the range, it's not too rectangular. I think it worked out very well.

I love my American Range! The ovens cook great and the burners have got some serious heating power!! It boils very quickly. I haven't used the griddle yet, but I did season it so it is ready to go!!

• borngrace
    15 years ago

It is just wonderful looking! So many great touches and they work so nicely together. Love the brick walls, and the chalkboard and island color and soapstone and and and . . .

Could you tell me what your ceiling height is and what your cabinets are (both lower and upper)

Thanks so much for sharing

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Love, love, love the corner stove/brick alcove. Very nice.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Really, you moved to a different house, didn't ya? Doesn't seem possible that they are the same space! Fabulous job!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE WHAT YOU DID OVER THE REFER - Really cool!!!

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will you come do my kitchen? I don't know if it is the blue color or the size that makes it so striking...maybe both! What is the size of your island?

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

That is one of the most amazing kitchen transformations I have seen on GW. You must be so excited. It is just perfect and I love the brick, the way it all comes together with the spunky blue island that must bring a smile to your face each am when you walk into your kitchen. Your cabinets, your layout, your countertops, all your special little added touches that make your kitchen distinct are just wonderful. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

• ricklish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! We're loving all the positive feedback and since I know you all know kitchens, it is doubly gratifying!!

borngrace - the ceiling height is 9 feet. The lower cabs are 24" deep, 36" high. The upper cabs are 12" deep, 54" high including the glass front uppers and crown molding. The overall room size is 27'6" long by 16' wide to the sink window bump out.

mominthedubc - the island - or 'continent' as we now call it - is just shy of 12 feet long and 5 feet 6 inches wide. We really struggled with making it that large, but with the 30" microwave on one angled end, that really dictated the overall width. We could have made it shorter (less than 12 feet), but that would have left a large dead space in between the island and pantry. We even played around with two islands and couldn't make it work. Even though it is large, it doesn't really obstruct access to any other area because the other areas (foyer and DR) are at either end of the island and there is the brick wall in the middle. (If that makes any sense.) We plan to put four barstools (on order) at the raised wood counter.

Thanks again for looking!

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Ricklish, darn, I love your kitchen & island so much, I was hoping it was closer to our size...looks can be deceiving! I can't believe the island is 12' long, wow! That is so funny that you call it the "continent", it may be large (lucky you), but it looks beautiful. Our island is going to be 8' long and my DH and I are at odds about the width. He wants 3' and I want 4', we may split the difference. I thought by your picture, it might be close to ours in size, but I was sooooo wrong! I hope ours looks as pretty as yours. Can't wait to show my DH your pictures, nice job!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I love how much personality your kitchen has. I bet it makes you smile every time you walk in there.

• ilovetn
    15 years ago

So beautiful...this is the kitchen I would have if I had more money :)! As a collector of old fruit jars, I loved your soap dispenser. Did you buy it with the pump or make it? I also loved your backsplash. We are thinking of doing beadboard. I have some in my bathroom and it doesn't seem smooth enough for a backsplash. Did it take a lot of sanding? It is really a gorgeous kitchen!

• ricklish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ilovetn - the soap dispenser came from Gooseberry Patch, I posted a link for it. Our DS name is Mason so we have a nice little collection of Mason jars.

The beadboard backsplash was made by (and painted by) the cab manuf in 4 x 8 panels, it is not true beaded boards. It is very smooth. However, we did use 'real' beadboard in the DR and it is also very smooth, it only required a very light sanding prior to painting. My GC got it from a local lumber yard, maybe check around for another source that might be smoother.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mason jar with pump

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I really enjoyed seeing your kitchen. Your island color is daring, different and absolutely fabulous! It's a truly wonderful kitchen.

• janefan
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful!!! I'm thrilled to see your long island--ours is going to be around that length as well and I was starting to worry a little that it's too long, but seeing yours has restored my confidence!! Thanks so much for sharing. Again, just beautiful!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Wow! I missed your kitchen the first time around (you posted the day I left for vacation). Seeing it now, I'm totally floored. There is so much in this kitchen that I love -- and hope to copy! My ID has suggested pulley pendants. Yours look great. (Do you find yourself actually adjusting them?) The cat door to the pantry is to die for!(What a great way to solve that feeding area issue.) Love the soapstone, love the faucet (got a Graff myself). Love the brick, especially the backsplash with hearth-like alcove. With the addition of that over-the-top deco glass, that's probably the most stunning window seat area I've ever seen. Love the cabs, love the island. In fact, there's nothing about your kitchen that I don't love! Love it all! This will be another entry for my "best kitchens" list. Congratulations!

• happymommy
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen! Thanks for sharing. Your hard work paid off!!!!

• paso
    15 years ago

Wow!!! I love everything...can you explain about the spice drawer. What size is it and how hard is it to fill all those jars with the spices???

• tinahollywood
    15 years ago

Congratulations. Just beautiful from top to bottom. Your blue island is genius! Can I come live in your kitchen?

• minnie_mouse
    15 years ago

Ricklish -

Thanks for sharing your great kitchen! We are starting our own remodel and I am considering an American Range. Mine will be a lot smaller than yours though, cost is a factor! I can't find a lot of feedback or ratings about them. I was hoping you would share some feedback with me. Have you had any problems? Are there any hot zones with the all-gas ovens? I would really love your opinion.

Minnie

• ricklish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all! Sorry for the hiatus - we've been doing window treatments, hanging art, and COOKING! so I haven't been checking the blog lately!

paso - the spice drawers are 8 1/2" wide and 20" deep. They have three adjustable shelves. Filling the spice bottles wasn't too bad. Mostly it was just pouring from one jar to another. At first I just had the jars sitting on the shelves and noticed that they slid back a forth a bit. I just put in some cushy shelf lining and now they stay put perfectly!

minnie - we love our American Range! The ovens heat very evenly, no hot spots or problems. We have a griddle on ours and have found that it tends to run on the cool side. So we set the temp dial up higher than what the documentation recommends and it works great. Overall it's pretty easy to keep clean (we have the black front with stainless top). The burners kick butt and heat very rapidly! And, even though it's slightly OT, I love my potfiller!!

Chris