Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alvmusick

Brooklyn Galley Kitchen Finished (not white!)

alvmusick
11 years ago

Although I am not a frequent GW poster, I referred to GW throughout my kitchen renovation planning. It was thanks to GW that I have the countertop and knobs/pulls that I envisioned but thought I would never have: THANK YOU! We are absolutely loving every inch of our new kitchen! I wish we had professional photos, but alas, these will have to do.

Before: One wall of cabs and appliances (everything was falling apart) left from the prior owner and one wall of IKEA shelves/storage/counter that I designed and lived with for 4 years as we saved for our renovation. Although I liked the accessibility of the open design on the IKEA wall (and I loved the SimpleHuman trash can and recycling can), the cleaning was difficult (thankfully, my brother-in-law doesn�t mind the cleaning and that entire wall is now in his new apartment). I also had very little counter space with this old plan. I vowed that my new kitchen would have very little open wall space and next to nothing on the counters. We would also have efficient appliances (including a DW � after 12 years of hand washing) that didn�t need to be velcroed together.

After: HOORAY!

42" wall cabs: right to the ceiling; the extra space and the look are just what we wanted

I put an open shelf next to the window to keep my fruit (bottom shelves) & garlic, onions (top shelves) off the counter and to let in more light from our awkward window.

All drawer base cabs except for 30" sink, 15" trash & 9" pantry: drawers rock and have changed my life for the better. Love the pegs and double-stacked utensil storage.

Trash/Recycling: I finally figured out how to get 4 separate spaces. I had my husband cut one of the pull-out cans to fit my compost pail; one of favorite elements. Under the sink is glass/plastic on the left, paper on the right.

Spice drawer: I like my spices are right in front of me (literally) as I chop and prep. In my old kitchen, they took up counter space and were hard to clean.

Tall/Skinny Fridge: everyone should have one. It�s only been a week, but I can�t seem to fill it! I love that I can see everything.

Tall/Skinny pantry: I opted for this instead of a larger fridge. Love the storage and ease of accessibility. Still have yet to fill it.

Range/Skinny spice drawers: I am a huge Berta Fan! The spice drawers are skinny and long: perfect for cooking utensils, knife sharpeners, grill supplies, etc.

18" DW/Deep Sink/Pull-out Faucet/Sink Storage Tilt: 18" is perfect for our family of three. The sink/faucet/tilt storage: highly recommend.

Green: a color that we love and have all over our home. The pictures don�t do the colors justice (especially the counter which looks rather greyish in these photos). And in case you�re wondering, the textured porcelain tile floor feels amazing � not like other hard/cold tile that I have read about on GW (apologies for the renovation dust that is still on the floor).

Details:

Size: 8.75� long x 6.75� wide x 8� high

Design: me (inspired by the slate fish etchings mounted on tent stakes, by the fridge, that my husband made in a printmaking class before I met him)

Timeframe: Due to a cracked cabinet (which Kraftmaid replaced � no questions asked � very easy to work with), our 3-week renovation turned into 5 weeks, but well worth it. Our contractor was amazing. The only structural change we made was to the kitchen entryway.

Cabinets: Kraftmaid � Maple � Hayward style, Honey Spice stain

Countertop: Rosemary Caesarstone (see my other GW post on this topic � thanks to GW I was able to find this recently discontinued stone)

Range: 30" SS Bertazzoni Professional Series X304GGVX

Refrigerator: 24" (80" height) SS Liebherr CS1311

Dishwasher: 18" SS Bosch SPX5ES55UC

OTR Microwave: 30" SS LG LMV2015ST

Floor: Daltile Continental Slate (porcelain tile) � Brazilian Green

Tile: American Olean - Legacy Glass � Celedon (ordered from Artwalk Tile � GW tip � thank you!)

Knobs & Pulls: Satin Nickel � 1" diameter knobs (K-12), 4" pulls (BN-3) - Horton Brasses (another GW tip � thank you!)

Sink: 23"SS Elkay Lustertone ELU2115

Faucet: SS Grohe Concetto Pull-Down 32 665

Track Light: Satin Nickel - Eurofase TK-5VTX3-34 Vortex 5-Light

UC Lighting: Super Bright LED strips

Comments (106)

• lisa02
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! stunning job. I have a question about the trash pullout- what size cabinet is that? and is it the Rev-a-shelf pullout?

Thanks and really congratulations on an amazing job.

• weimom
    11 years ago

WOW! Your kitchen is incredible. I am so impressed with the way you have utilized your space. I love your little spice jars. Do you mind my asking where you can find those? I am trying to decide what to use when I set up my spice drawer and I really like those.
    Hope you have wonderful times and memories in your new kitchen!

• RockportMA
    11 years ago

Wow! Absolutlely beautiful. Amazing use of space. I'm not usually so much on green but those colors are fantastic. Thank you so much for posting pictures!

• kaysd
    11 years ago

What a wonderful transformation! I love the green counters and tile -- it was well worth your effort to track down the Rosemary. I am impressed with how efficiently everything is designed. The open shelves at the end to let in light and still store your produce were genius.

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

SIMPLIFY!!!!!!

Loved it as inspiration in the before pictures and I think you met and superseded the results in the after pics. A FAB new Kitchen. Absolutely loved what you did to it

• geomeg
    11 years ago

Great kitchen! I too am in the process of trying to plan our kitchen reno. We have a tiny kitchen.
    Just today I was debating between using white cabs or a natural looking wood like you have...

• alvmusick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. I have been off-line since the end of June running a summer camp and was surprised to see my kitchen back in the discussion mix! Thanks everyone for the kinds words! I miss my new kitchen but I am having fun cooking in a camp kitchen built in the early 1900's (with many of the original features)- it's easily four times the size of my galley kitchen, but I am also cooking for hungry campers and staff fresh off the lakes and mountain trails - three meals a day - so the size is helpful. More to come - I will get some photos to share during a "quiet" moment.

As for the questions:

dpx_townhome and lisa02 - all the cabinet "extras" (trash pull-out, SS sink tilt tray and sink door storage) are Rev-a-Shelf brand offered via Kraftmaid. Instead of me installing these items, it was easier to have the cabinets ordered and delivered with everything already installed by Kraftmaid! The double trash pull-out is 15 inches.

weimom - the spice jars are from Ikea. I bought them 3+ years ago, but I think they are still offered in the store. I try to buy spices in bulk and these little jars have been great. They are also the perfect height for the drawers with little wasted space.

Thanks again!

• weimom
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input on the spice jars. I'm hoping to use a drawer and fit as many as possible in it. I will check Ikea.

• polie
    11 years ago

For your countertop, do you remember what type of edge you had the fabricator do? The reason I ask is that there was a post yesterday about Ceasarstone countertop chipping around edges and around undermount sinks. Have you had any such problem?

Just love this kitchen of yours!

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

Wow, first of all it's beautiful! And you did a great job of squeezing in all kinds of cool features. (I admired your use of space in your original kitchen too.) Love the Liebherr frig!! I think that'll have to be my next one. What a wonderful transformation!

• segbrown
    11 years ago

Cool!

• alvmusick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi polie - I have a simple eased edge around the kitchen and sink. I am not easy on my kitchen and have nothing but praises to sing about the Caesarstone. I have banged it - dropped a few things - let my toddler cook and bake with me - no worries aside from a knife scratch (my own fault) that I filled in with a Sharpie of a similar color and it's gone (there is a GW discussion on this as well).

• polie
    11 years ago

Thank you for the information. I don't abuse countertops and I know there is no perfect material, but it's a relief to hear that everyday use hasn't led to any problem with your Caesarstone.

• ashbelis
    11 years ago

Amazing, just lovely and so well designed and organized. Thank you for all the info and pics, very inspiring!

• froglander
    10 years ago

Just want to say I find this kitchen to be inspiring :) I have it bookmarked and come back to look at it often as I contemplate options for my long, skinny kitchen. I envy you your tall ceilings! We have a dropped ceiling in the kitchen so aren't really able to go /up/ for storage :(

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

You really needed that new storage! What a great job you did on your renovation. I too am a huge lover of bright lime green :) Very very nice job!

• Project_G
    10 years ago

Wow - weautiful kitchen!

I am in the process on planning my new Brooklyn galley kitchen, and yours is very inspiring.

I'm new to GW - is it ok to ask who your contractor is?

Cheers

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

This is one for the textbooks.

• straikar
    9 years ago

Lovely use of space!

Karen

• whosee
    8 years ago

Kitchen looks great! How wide is the sink base cabinet?

• alvmusick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi whosee and texasgal47 - I have been off-line for a while and was surprised to receive a message! In any event, I love this kitchen just as much now as I did when it was finished in 2012.

whosee - the base cabinet is 30".

• New Freedom Nurse
    8 years ago

How do you like your faucet? I have Grohe in all of my bathroom and the Concetto is the one I am looking at for my kitchen.

Thanks

• alvmusick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi traumanurse1 - I love the faucet! It is so lovely, sturdy, and functional.

Interestingly, I purchased it thinking I would use the pull-out feature often, but the faucet hits my entire sink and the arched design allows me to put even my trash cans under the main stream so I rarely use the pull-out - just something to consider.

• New Freedom Nurse
    8 years ago

Thank you

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

What an amazing transformation! I was following your posts - I'm in a nearby city, planning a galley kitchen. Your kitchen is inspiring.

• renovate930
    8 years ago

Great job - well thought out! Love the simplicity, clean lines and so totally space efficient. Nothing is missing. Goes to show that you don't have to an enormous space to have a functional and beautiful kitchen.

Can you please provide me with the interior height of each of the drawers above the waste receptacle?

Thank you.

• alvmusick
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you renovate930 - I designed the kitchen myself (after many hours on GardenWeb and Houzz) and love the small space - everything is within arm's reach.

The double-stacked drawers above the trash/compost receptacles are sized as follows:

Bottom drawer: 1.5 inches high
    Top drawer (slides over bottom): 1.25 inches high

• renovate930
    8 years ago

Thank you!

• dollfanz
    8 years ago

Wow! What a fantastic kitchen! I envy your organization skills. Bravo!

• fldirt
    8 years ago

wow…stunning!

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

Alvmusick

Happy 3rd kitchen anniversary. I don't know how I missed your reveal but probably as we were finishing ours.

Love your counters and backsplash. Love your nooks and crannies - pull outs, tray storage etc. do you still like your double silverware drawer? I was supposed to have this but changed my mind

I did a post for our 3rd anniversary on likes and things I would change. Are you still loving this awesome kitchen?

• Anne
    8 years ago

Beautiful. Makes me a little ashamed of my current kitchen ( a galley but ginormous in comparison). You did a great job. We are thinking of downsizing to the shore and this makes me rethink the kitchen centric plan.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

From what I see here, you have worked a miracle!!!! Awesome and inspiring!

And only 5 weeks for the transformation -- I LOVE this.

• zootness
    8 years ago

I love green too! Your kitchen is just gorgeous. What a transformation.

• mo142
    8 years ago

I actually liked your before photos, but love your after! Great job!

• User
    8 years ago

Gorgeous work. I really appreciate you naming all the appliances too. We are considering that very refrigerator. Here are some photos that may be helpful for others checking this out.

We forgot to look at the back though and we're curious what it looks like in the back and how much depth it takes up.

• Katrina Tate
    8 years ago

Such a huge difference!! We also have a galley kitchen in Brooklyn and are planning an extensive renovation, including knocking out half of a wall. Great choices!

• momof2princesses
    8 years ago

The difference between the before and after is amazing, the space looks so much bigger in the after pictures! You did a fantastic job :-)

• romeisburning
    7 years ago

I have to confess. I had just bought a new "old" house with a walk through galley kitchen when I saw your work of genius. I love green. I copied everything (I hope you don't have your kitchen copywrited, lol) that I could possibly copy, and I can't wait till it is finished. When I first saw your kitchen article last year it did not mention what track light you used, or if it did I overlooked it. I have been searching everywhere for a track light like yours. Then this evening in desperation I googled your name on houzz.com and here you are! And here is the track light you used! Thank you for all the information!!! I'm going to copy again! My pass through galley kitchen is slightly larger than yours, I think. It has a pantry that I will never fill. I installed an outlet in the pantry and my microwave (and possibly the coffeemaker) is going in there to free up some much needed counter space. I must tell you though that when my brother and I picked up the Rosemary Caesarstone slab, and the Brazilian green? floor tile, and the American Olean celadon subway tiles he arched his eyebrows at me. (I was a little nervous also!) I flipped out my phone and showed him your kitchen and said, "Don't say a word! Alv and I know what we are doing.". lol

i do have a little secret though. I just bought the "next to last" slab of Rosemary Caesarstond in this country. In other words - I know where the last remaining slab is. Does anyone want to know? How much $$$$$? Just kidding. But the slab is (or was) there two weeks ago.

I'm going to try to attach my boring hum drum "before" kitchen.

Be blessed and safe, everyone.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Good luck with your remodel, romeisburning--it will be nice to see another beautiful green kitchen on GW.

• romeisburning
    7 years ago

Thank you so much, Mama. It should be finished in a few more weeks. Renovation of my house began on July 8th of last year! I'm still not in. On several occasions I have felt like I needed to be committed to the Shutter Island institution. lol - I don't know about posting my after photos. Once you have seen what alvmusick has done what more is there to say? As someone else on here said Alv's kitchen is "textbook" perfect. I notice something new each time I study it. Just this morning I sent my construction guy a photo and told him to please observe the perfect placement of knobs and pulls - the next project for him tomorrow. The one thing I have that I am really happy about is the window above the sink. I am a dedicated gardener. I took a photo out the window and I am treating the outside like a blank canvas. I am painting (planting) the landscape I want to see out the window. I just can't wait to get moved in. If I add a touch that is not in Alv's kitchen I might post a photo, but at this time all I can do is give her a standing ovation. BRAVO!!!

• romeisburning
    7 years ago

A question for alvmusick - or anyone. My fabricator is making a beautiful chopping board on rubber feet out of the sink cutout. Can the Caesarstone handle all the slicing and dicing? Thank you.

• romeisburning
    7 years ago

One more question for alvmusick. What color paint is on your walls? It looks exactly like what I used before I saw your blue ribbon kitchen.

• alvmusick
    Original Author
    7 years ago

romeisburning - wow, I haven't checked in on my kitchen post in a few years and all of a sudden, a flurry of activity! I am still in love with my kitchen after 4 years (wow, time flies), and I wish you the best! I too had to hunt down my Rosemary as I chose it only to have it discontinued. Your story is much more epic than mine but I think the Rosemary is amazing - my husband rolls his eyes as to this day, I still tell him how much I love it - and I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do (and if Caesarstone is monitoring, they should consider bringing this product back). As for the chopping on the stone, I am not sure as I have wood chopping boards but GO FOR IT - what a great idea for the extra stone. And the color on my walls is Benjamin Moore Citronee - I have it all over my home and love the creamy color.

I see I missed some other posts over time - thank you all for the comments - and a2gemini for the "Happy Anniversary" - I remember following your inspiring kitchen. Going on year 4, I have not upgraded anything in my kitchen only added to it some plants by the window and lots of art created by my daughter. The pictures above make me laugh as the kitchen has so much more personality these days. I will post some updated pictures when I can find the time to get some good ones! Enjoy your kitchens!

• romeisburning
    7 years ago

ALV - one last question. Can you be more specific about your under cabinet lighting. Super Bright LED strips left my construction guy scratching his head. I want the bright working area you have. What my guy installed is so weak that I have to place my hand under the cabinet to see any light. It barely illumines my hand.

HELP!!!

• PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    7 years ago

You did a beautiful job! The Shaker style is beautiful and the backsplash adds just enough color. Very inspiring kitchen remodel. Even though it's a small room, the light colors open it up.

Your choice of storage solutions are great too! Using every inch of your storage space by installing custom storage to what's being stored. Great job!

• romeisburning
    7 years ago

Alv, I promise you this is my last question. Maybe you can answer both at the same time. I've already told you of my under cab lighting problem. Also, I installed the same Eurofase track light. It seems so dim to my brother and me. He says your lights look twice as big and twice as bright as mine do. Can you please tell me what lamps you are using in your track light. I want that very bright, very warm look that you have in your kitchen. I swear those are my last two questions (I pray!).

Romie

• alvmusick
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Kitchen Magic for your feedback - the organization is key - when I am back in town, I will post updated organization pictures as I have enhanced some of my systems - especially the fridge.

Romie - I wonder if because your kitchen is a bit larger the track lighting I have doesn't work as well?? For me it is sometimes so powerful I don't even turn it on and only use my undercabinet lighting (especially early in the morning or later at night when I don't want to wake the family). The undercabinet lighting I have now is perfect for my needs although it is on the cheaper/budget-friendly side. I never had undercabinet lighting before (since I never had an updated kitchen before this - only rentals) so I didn't want to invest a chunk of my budget on something I didn't even know I would like/use. Perhaps upgrade or use something different if it not working for you. I am sure others can chime-in with recommendations.

• romeisburning
    7 years ago

Alv, I solved the problem. I asked the foreman on my renovation job why my under cab lights were so dim. I showed him your kitchen and told him you used Super Bright LED strips so why are mine so dim? Now get this! Drum roll please. The electrician said the Super Brights were too bright so he wouldn't install them. I looked at my foreman and said, "Ask the electrician who is going to be living here and who is just visiting and being paid to come in and install what I asked for.".

Construction people stomp up and down on my last nerve wearing football cleats! My renovation stared on July 8th of 2015!!!!! Supposedly tomorrow is completion day and Wednesday is my walk through inspection day. Yeah, right. As if I haven't heard that one before,