Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

chiseled granite?

melkel31
9 years ago

anyone have any experience with chiseled granite edges ? I love the look of this BUT heard today that it is high maintenance. Anyone who has any experience with this style granite edging ?

Comments (12)

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's my inspiration pic for the edging (kitchen with chiseled edge granite)- I love how this is less "chiseled" looking than other I found on houzz search-

also love the thickness of the granite- is this a style that is easy to come by ?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I also don't like how it reacts with clothing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

melkel31:

It gets gross in a few years, especially next to the stove.

The pictured top looks like 3cm at the sink reveal with a 3cm edge build up to get to 6cm total. It's not a very unusual style, not common, but easy enough to do.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, is it double the price to get het 6cm as opposed to the 3cm? Thanks to everyone for the replies about the edge! :) You confirmed what we were told today. it's a shame bc it is so cool looking!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Trebruchet, is it double the price to get 6cm as opposed to the 3cm? "

I wouldn't want to commit to "double" or "triple". It depends on how familiar a particular fabricator is and how badly he wants/needs the job. It certainly isn't technically difficult.

• cindallas
    9 years ago

I saw a lot of this edge when I worked for a builder several years ago when it was first beginning to get popular. And it typically did pull clothing and end up getting oily and messy after awhile. I did not realize it at the time, but knowing what I know now, it probably happened because it was a raw and rough edge and also was unsealed.

Fast forward to now and a friend of mine recently had that edge done in their master bath and they love it. It looked really nice and it was not rough at all like the builder ones. I was impressed with the difference. These were not rough at all with no sharp edges like the old ones. They said it has been very easy to maintain and have not had any problems with it or experienced rough edges or any pulled clothing. The edges had been hand sanded down where there were a few rough spots and then sealed with an enhancing sealer with a glossy finish. It blends in nicely with the polished top. Below is an early close up of the edge I took of the shower seat (the red background is just the RedGuard) and I think it blends in very well. In fact I personally think it looks better or more natural and part if the polished slab. The edge did not look funny being glossy. This edge is on all the granite in the bathroom and they don't have any problems with them on the vanities, the tub deck or the shower seat.

You said that you liked the look of the inspiration picture above and it does look unsealed. Maybe you could see how a regular sealer works on a sample instead of the enhancing ones that make it as dark as the top. The raw unfinished edges are lighter. Or maybe the extra glossy sealer helps prevent snags? I know it would not absorb oily stains like my early experiences with them. Their stone fabricator had the chiseled edge included in their standard edges and they did the chisled, sanded and sealed edge as their normal practice. You might have to look around to see what different fabricators have in your area. Not all even do that edge. And pricing can vary quite a bit just for this edge. Be sure to see a sample or have them make one for you and you can test it yourself.

Hope this helps you and you can work towards getting the look you like with the new and improved functions of the smoother and sealed chiseled edge granite. If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I'd be glad to try to help.

• cindallas
    9 years ago

You also asked about the granite thickness and the edge thickness. The thicker edge is called a laminated edge and it is only at the edges about 1"-1 1/2" from the outer edge and not the entire area (hope that makes sense and answers what you meant). So if you like the thicker edge, if the granite is a typical 3cm stone, the edge will be 6cm. And yes that is more expensive and does take more material. If the stone is a 2cm stone, a laminated edge would then be 4cm. Look at the sink cutout thickness - that shows the thickness of the entire main slab.

The price (and skill of course) depends on the fabricator. You hopefully can get pricing on their edges, what edges are included in their "standard" edges, upgraded edges and their laminated edges. This is typically in a list of standard work like under mount sink and tub cutouts (with polished edges where as drop ins don't have polished edges), etc.

There are many variations across the country as we have seen in other posts, so this information may be very easy and common to get in your area or may be a closely guarded secret and difficult to come by. (If difficult, maybe you can ask for a quote for the same stone, the same size but with the different edge treatments and you can tell that way. Like if you were just doing an island.) Hopefully it will be straight forward or they have it printed out.

They are typically by the linear foot. I could only attach one picture in my previous post so I'm attaching another one of edge profiles. This shows 2cm, 3cm and the 3cm laminated edges. Sometimes a fabricator will discount these edges if you are doing a large job, so work with the fabricator to get the entire job details before you decide how expensive or not it will be for you. Choose your fabricator with care and for their skill, customer service and communication and you should hopefully have a good job.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for your informative posts Cindalla! :) I appreciate your advice. one more ? I have is can you "work with/bargain" with the fabricators? It's so embarrassing when you try to do this and they look at you like you are insulting them! ;)

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I just saw a chiseled edge for the first time when I was looking at soapstone counters. Although I normally like the look of rough, uneven stone, I didn't care for the look as compared to an eased edge. I was also wondering about rubbing up against it and snagging clothes, etc.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I have heard of a "franklin edge" for soapstone. It's smooth, unlike the chiseled edge, but it is less perfect looking than the other edges. It is meant to mimic wear over time I believe. I don't know if it is possible to do that kind of edge for granite, but you might google for images and ask your fabricator about it if you like it.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

A raw chiseled edge is full of snag points. Some fabricators will employ an additional step in fabrication using "brushes" to soften the raw edge. This works quite well but is an additional labor intensive step that adds cost to an already expensive edge.