Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barista9

Really looking for advice about backsplash

barista9
9 years ago

We postponed the backsplash install, initially it was going to be white subway tiles. But after the granite was installed, I became unsure. The Kashmir White at the warehouse looked greyer, with some beige. Now that it is installed, it is much more yellow, with some green undertone (to my eye, not to everyone's).

Today we've found a marble 3x6 tile (listed as polished arcobaleno). It seems to be halfway between calacatta gold and carrara marble. My first reaction when I layed down the tiles was that I liked it a lot.

Comments (30)

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and here's the beveled 3x6 white tile.

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both tiles in the same picture.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I don't like the marble there at all. The white looks ok but another color might be better. On my screen your counter does have a yellowish/brown tone.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I prefer the solid white. I don't think the movement in the marble works well with the more speckled granite. I might try some other solid tiles too for comparison. Maybe a cream or almond?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

On my monitor, the counters look warm, i.e. beige, while the marble looks bluish gray. I'd try to find a solid color that's in the counter tops, maybe even some beige, cream, greenish. That way, the BS will complement your beautiful counters and cabinets.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I don't care for either of your choices. I do like the subway tile, but I would bring home some more colors.

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments, I really feel like I'm in a dead-end. Didn't really want to go cream/beige, kinda stuck now. The granite threw me off. Looking for your ideas.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I think that you need a solid color or a much more subtle pattern for the backsplash. I had a very difficult time choosing a backsplash because my granite is warm and has a lot of movement and my wall cabinets are a cooler light taupey off-white. I finally decided on a bone subway tile that is a little lighter than the cabinets. Your dilemma is similar, with differing undertones. Take your time, you will find the right tile eventually.

• localeater
    9 years ago

I'm sorry I don't like the marble there either. I also don't love the white. But just because this particular white looks too cool, doesnt mean you need to give up on white, there are so many different whites!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Your counters are lovely. I don't care for the marble tile with it at all. I think a solid subway would be great, not necessarily white.

When did your counter go in? Have you tried living with it a while, seeing it in all types of light, natural and artificial? Let the shock of its newness wear off and learn its true character. Subways come in all kinds of colors. Find something light to pull from your granite. Your granite it there, accept what it is and find a tile that makes it look fantastic.

• annac54
    9 years ago

I'm not liking the marble either. The patterns compete, not compliment. I would get some other colors of tile and see if something works. What other colors are in the kitchen or adjoining rooms?

We put Kashmir white in our condo kitchen, and as soon as it went in, we could see that it had a greenish cast, a little more than yours.

What about a soft warm gray? Maybe glass. Don't know the style direction you are going for (what we see in the photos could be turned into several styles). Here's something I found:

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Vancouver Interior Designers & Decorators Claudia Leccacorvi

See the link for another gray tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, we're thinking about grey/greige too, we may have found an off-white that is warmer also. I'm putting a picture showing the different grey tiles.

The kitchen walls are painted BM Revere pewter, all appliances are stainless steel, pendants, hardware are brushed nickel. Only the faucet is chrome.

• farmhousebound
    9 years ago

Agree with everyone else on the marble. On my monitor, I like the 3rd one over starting left to right, my second choice being the 1st one . . . would kine of depend on your entire kitchen whether to go darker backsplash or not.

• mominHI
    9 years ago

This may sound a little crazy, but I like them all (above). How about using those 4 colors of subway tile? I'm not a fan of all one color.

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really wanted more of an all white kitchen (or a white with black countertop, but that has obviously been scratched). Here's a picture of the warmer white 2x8.

For reference the 3x6 bright white tile from my 2nd post is also there and the grey tile above is the second tile from the left from my last post.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Of the pic of four, I really like the one all the way to the left.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

From the second round I like the one way right, second choice way left. I dontlike the marble,or the white from the first round. But monitor colors can be off. Good luck!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

This is not going to be easy. Although a white will match your cabinets it competes with the counter.
    You are going to need a tile that will transition from the cabinets to the counter.
    It really hard to see the undertones and that will be important when choosing a tile.
    Sorry, but from what I see, none if your samples will work. Keep looking.

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Something I should have mentioned, is that the tiles will go up to the ceiling over the gaz range and a 36 inch stainless steel chimney hood will be installed over the tiles, this was planed to be a focal point for the kitchen.

I think I should be careful to get good contrast with the hood if I go with a grey tile.

• Evan
    9 years ago

We also gave Kashmir White, Revere Pewter, white cabs, stainless. Etc. we really wanted to do a Carrara type marble backsplash, but they all looked bad. The pattern fights with the counter, and they're too cool gray/blue. I think the same thing about your marble sample. Of the second group of samples, I like the 2 on the right the best. Though the darker one on the far left could be neat too

• crl_
    9 years ago

I like all of the second group better. I like the one on the far right best.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I think all the grey/greige tiles you posted would work except for the 2nd from the left. It looks a bit too yellow, but of course it could be my monitor. I love the far left one the best.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Of the photo you posted of the second group I think there is a big problem with the lighting misrepresenting your granite. It is plain to see that the edge is very differently toned than the flat plane. Therefore, anything we say about a specific tile must be taken with a grain of salt. Can you take new pics in jatural light and no flash?

That said, it is still clear that warmer/grayer is a much better way to go than cool marble or white.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I don't like the one all the way on the left - too dark. Though if you mixed them that might be really cool, rather than all 1 color. Still don't know if I'd like that one right against the white cabinets, so maybe a mix of the 3 lighter ones (if do all 4 colors then you have to be careful about putting the dark ones close to the cabinets, also if you put them in at all yo may find they really pop out).

Could you get a box of each and do a sample board to prop up behind the sink? Kind of hard to tell with just 1 tile of each.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Hi there. Can you show us the floors as well, and tell me your budget in $/sf?

Your stone can actually take a strong bs tile even though it has a lot going on, because the inclusions are so small and there's very little veining. I like the 2" x 8" tile and mominHI's suggestion that you alternate the colors.

Part of the difficulty you're having is that you are trying to mix warm and cool tones in the same small space. This is never easy, but mixing them in bold swatches across the bs is one option.

If you want a quieter look than that you can choose two colors to alternate or go with a hand glazed tile that has color variations. But do you want a quieter look? You chose marble first, and you mention that you want contrast with your hood. Maybe what you are longing for is uniformity of glaze but a real blast of color? Think about it and let us know.

Here are your choices together:

This post was edited by EAM44 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 7:06

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

Of the group of the 4 tiles, I like them all except the one that is 3rd to the right of the faucet. I could never have made up my mind with just one tile. Can you get more of ghetto one you like best like you did with the marble tile?

• plumberry
    9 years ago

I like the tiles on far right and the far left. I wonder what is on your floor?

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My floors are 2nd grade natural maple hardwood, so they are light but with a lot of variations, we like it a lot.

Ok, so today, instead of trying new tiles, I swapped the island pendants incandescent lights for LEDs. What a difference maker! The green hue is pretty much gone on the island. The pale grey that we were looking for is much more present.

So next step is to change the UCL from halogen to neon or led. There is one other thing that is probably not helping. I have matte BM cloud white on the ceilings everywhere, including the kitchen, and the can lights reflecting on the ceiling gives a yellowish cast that probably warms the counters too much also. I'll see how the UCL change things up and may give repainting the ceiling a shot before selecting the backsplash.

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

from picture on: Sun, May 25, 14 at 19:22

I like the 2 on the right a lot
    with slight preference for second one over from the right, the medium grey.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I like all but the far left one- I think it is too dark.
    Since you wanted a lighter kitchen (aka white), I would look at the 2 middle ones - any chance of getting a few more samples to see what it looks like as multiples.