Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

medallion is really a disappointment

ardcp
9 years ago

i posted previously on the flawed finish on my medallion cabinets in maple brandywine. i had 3 defective cabinets( pieces broken off corners,bubble under veneered end, chips on the bottom edges) and one of the replacements was defective as well (with weird sticky hazy spots that look like glue) plus a door and drawer front which have taken forever to come in.
some of you suggested my kd get medallion to do decorative ends to hide the flaws in the finished ends and luckily i didn't have to mention it as she and her husband also felt that was appropriate.
so it's been weeks since she had conversations and put in a request with no answers. she emailed me again today to let me know that she knows their customer service and her rep had a discussion but they still have no resolution. i really feel like they are dragging their heels on doing anything extra to make my cabinets less flawed. it is so disappointing as i researched ad nauseum before choosing medallion over kraftmaid or diamond! can i just say that i wish i had chosen kraftmaid at this point?! i see people saying that kraftmaid swaps out damaged cabs very quickly! big sigh:(

Comments (16)

• kompy
    9 years ago

I sell both KM and Medallion and they take about the same time. Moldings and parts come in faster than cabinets. Maybe it's so $$ she's waiting to get approval and that's what's taking so long? Medallion usually will replace things for us, no questions asked. They trust us to not abuse the system. But if these are add-ons to make it right (and not replacements), that could be why it's taking longer. We had a heck of a time once getting a whole kitchen redone due to a fluke faulty finish. But it did get done!

I still think you made the right choice with Medallion. I prefer it over KM.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We have Medallion in our new build kitchen. There have been several bumps along the way for us, but our KD has been diligent getting things resolved. The issue we are shaking our head over is a bookcase that will sit on the counter over our DW. First they shipped a flat beadboard panel (back of bookcase will have beadboard) and said it was a bookcase. We've been waiting 5 weeks for the new bookcase to arrive. It was shipped to our KD in a wooden crate. When our installer came on Tuesday, he discovered that it was again wrong. We have white icing cabinets. What they shipped was a bookcase painted on the outside, clearcoat on the inside and painted beadboard installed backwards so it would be facing the wall. Our installer told us they he's seen many issues with Medallion recently. Their QC seems to be lacking. Overall, we are happy with the cabinets we have. It's just the waiting for replacement pieces that is frustrating.

Good luck with getting your issues resolved.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kompy - thanks for the solace. i hope you are right and they will make it right in the end! i know that the medallion finish is considered superior to other cabs in my price range by many GW experts so i was really expecting a flawless finish. of course being a newbie i didn't kick up a fuss fast enough on several of the glue type spots so 1 base cab with the spots can't be replaced at this point. this was a pretty steep learning curve even with GW!

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nhbaskets- what style and level do you have and were any boxes damaged? i keep wondering if my cabs were looking beat up because they are silverline(lancaster) and only ply sides on the finished ends. i know that all the kds here and irw said there is no need to go ply but the bottoms of my particle board wall cabs look like they were dragged on the ground and several had chunks missing from the bottom corners! pictured is the "dragged on the ground" part underneath. they are so yucky to look at that we are probably going to have to do a light rail which i don't really like and thought was a waste of $$. now it seems almost necessary. keep in mind i didn't have a light rail with my builder grade oak aristokraft cabs and i don't think they looked like that underneath. does that seem defective or is that what they normally look like?
    basically i am kicking myself for not upgrading to ply at least. the same door in the gold level was $1500 and my kd said that was the same particle board construction so upgrading to gold didn't seem worth it at the time. hindsight is 20/20?!

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We have gold line. No boxes were damaged from what I saw, just a box of shelves for our pantry that one of the subs decided to use as a door stop. Sorry to see the photo of the underside. Not something that occurred during installation?

I had Platinum in my old master bath and I can say I see a slight difference in the quality and a huge difference from the Plain & Fancy cabs we had in our former kitchen.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

you can try light sanding that rough edge under the cabinet and see if that makes it look better

• wvugal
    9 years ago

We have gold line quartersawn oak, and there was no damage to the boxes or the cabinets. The finish is also flawless. Our contractor was very impressed with the quality. I'm so sorry that you have had issues, and hope that everything works out for you.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nhbaskets- i suspected that the bottoms shouldn't look like that but being my first reno, what do i know?! i can't imagine it happened during installed as they unwrapped the cabs in my kitchen on my laminate floor. the installers seemed careful although that goes back to what do i know. the corner ez reach has a little chip out of the bottom too that my kd saw and said didn't look like shipping damage and because it took a week before she saw it (because i didn't notice it until i put the undercab light up now it is quite obvious) i am out of luck on that. i hope that a light rail will cover it.
    jerzeegirl - i will try light sanding. it is on most of the bottoms that are not ply. i feel sad that i am thinking of ways to "fix" my brand new cabinets! i lived with my ugly builder grade for so long and dreamed of my new kitchen but the reality is not what i hoped.
    wvugal- you and nhbaskets went gold and have not had issues. this furthers my supposition that the silverline is not made with the care or quality that the gold or platinum are. hindsight is 20/20 so of course i am kicking myself for not going gold or just another manufacturer altogether:(

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i got the news today that medallion approved the decorative end panels for 6 of my 9 finished sides. my kd didn't put in a request for my frig cab because i think she felt it was asking too much? however i think i am going to have to buy the panel for it myself as it will look weird for all the rest to have end panels and one to be bare, right? this is the first cabinet you see when entering from the garage. (and yes i know it looks messy! it is my kid school/sports notice board which is why i didn't want it boxed in by cabinetry!)
    also i am still annoyed that the under sides of the cabs veneer looks so bad(see above pic) and really wish a rep would come look at them in person. am i being over the top about this?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

You'll need to change to full-depth fridge cabs to do a panel. The goal is to cover the entire side of the fridge.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may flowers- i wasn't clear in my question...my kd is ordering decorative end panels for the finished ends of the cabs. my question is this, if the cab over the frig has a plain finished side as it is now but the other wall cabs have an end panel, won't that look weird? or i am i misunderstanding that you can just add a decorative end panel on the end of the cab? i assumed they can be added to any cab but maybe that is wrong? i do not want to box in the whole frig.
    i brought this up to my kd but she didn't think asking medallion to cover all the cabs with an end panel was justified. i understand her point that the frig cab wasn't flawed but...how will it look bare when the rest have some sort of end panel?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Do you mean that over-fridge cabinet near the door? You won't even notice that it doesn't have a panel.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I think you do need an end panel on that cabinet if the other ones are getting them.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jerzeegirl and sjhockeyfan- i just found out it will only be $55 to add that end panel so it probably makes sense to just do it now. i might kick myself later if i don't.
    now if only medallion would pay for skins to cover the fraying laminate edges! haha i am probably pushing my luck:)

• SoJersyLife
    9 years ago

Beware Medallion does not honor their warranty! We purchased $18,000 of cabinets from them. Not one single cabinet out of the box is good. Open miters on every door & drawer front, cracks all over the place gaps inside the cabinets, and the stacked cabinets don't match up at all. The range hood is cracked and scratched so badly we didn't even take it out of the box all the way. They are only offering us $5,000 credit towards a new set of cabinets. #medallionfailsoncraftmanship

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

More details, please. Were the cabinets installed? When was the damage discovered? What is the reasoning behind offering a partial credit towards new cabinets instead of replacing defective items?

What purpose does it serve to drag up a bunch of old cabinet threads to complain vaguely about Medallion quality with the same repeated post? Why not just start a new thread that addresses your specific circumstances and concerns?

This post was edited by jellytoast on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 12:09