Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

Checking and storing appliances?

szruns
9 years ago

I've begun ordering appliances . . . And the first two will arrive in about a month, likely 5-8 weeks before installation (but don't tell that to my contractor, who I keep telling must be done by July. . . which is when the appliances will be delivered, lol).

So, anyway, what is my best approach for taking delivery? These will be delivered by the store (Lowe's). In this case, it's a fridge and double oven. (Obviously, there will be more.)

Should I unpack and inspect before signing at all? Should I unpack at all? Should I plug the fridge in? Obviously I can't plug the ovens in, lol, but I could open them and take a good look for obvious damage.

Tips and advice, please?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I can't help with your question since I did not do any of those things and prolly should have done some of them. Keep in mind the return policy and if any surcharges to do a return. We were outside amazon return policy and after some communication, they did accept the return of a defective faucet but did charge us the high surcharge to return.

• Muffett
    9 years ago

My appliances were delivered ahead of installation too by 3-4 weeks. I had them brought inside and thoroughly unwrapped / visually inspected prior to signing off on delivery.

Delivery folks were very accommodating to that; I also had my GC there to inspect as he was handling installation. Felt like my birthday unwrapping a hood, cooktop, wall oven, microwave, trim kit, dishwasher and refrigerator.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Check it. Check every corner before the delivery guys leave.

We took early delivery and acquired appliances over time, as I found things on sale. I explained to my DH the importance of thoroughly checking each item, all of each item. He knew I was particularly concerned because I got very good "deals" and I wanted to make sure things were not damaged if they were not supposed to be "ding and dent."

I took delivery on everything, except the dw. DH took delivery of the dw. Me, "Did you check the entire Dw? DH,"Yes." Me, "Are you sure you unpacked and really checked the dw?" DH, "yes! Honey you are being ridiculous. I checked it; it's fine."

2 months later. I unpacked the dw. Big ol' dent in the back. Luckily for DH, and our marriage, the dw works fine....

• cinjos
    9 years ago

We also had ours delivered early - which we were sorry about afterwards because we had to hire someone else to lift the ovens into place! Our ovens looked fine on inspection, but had a problem once installed. Fortunately, it was an easy fix and we're happy now.

If at all possible, hold off on delivery until you are ready to place and install.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

If you can, I would hold on delivery until they are ready to be put into place. This said from a woman who had the cooktop, oven, and hood sitting in her basement and garage for OVER A YEAR because our original cabinetmaker/installer fell through and we had to start over from scratch.

We were somewhat able to look over things, but had no way of knowing if they were functional or not. And we didn't take the protective tapes off of the items to make sure that the stainless wasn't marred underneath the protective tape.