Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ship4u

soapstone prone to chipping?

ship4u
13 years ago

I know this has probably been covered before in one form or another, but I'd like to get some guidance.

We were all set to get soapstone as the surround for our kitchen sink, when the question of chipping came up again. My sister-in-law told us that she hates the soapstone they put in their kitchen because it chips so easily. She says that on the day after it was installed, she accidentally broke off a big piece of the corner with a cookie tray.

I have heard some people say that some types of soapstone is less prone to chipping. Is this true?

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

The harder soapstones have less talc and TEND to have less veining. I suggest you get some samples and test away. I did that and found that I MUCH prefer the wild veiny soapstones but unfortunately, they tend to be very soft and wouldn't work for me since I'm clumsy. I don't mind patina at all but chipping bothered me even though it can be sanded out.

• sandlll
    13 years ago

I actually asked last weekend at the soapstone place and the man there told me that veining is actually harder than the other areas on the stone. I was surprised, but was happy since I like the veining too. The soapstone I liked was 2.5 for hardness. I am hoping that is hard enough...

• belasea
    13 years ago

We were thinking of getting soapstone, but our contractor warned us that it chipped/scratched. He recommended Pietra de Cardoza and said that it was a harder stone. We went to the granite yard and noticed that both the Pietra de Cardoza and the soap stone had lots of chips and crumbles below. Instead, with the granite, we didn't see the crumbling rock below it, so ended up going with granite.

• zillapgh
    13 years ago

I just visited a friend's 1 year old kitchen today. Original PA soapstone, pretty much NO veining. I don't know if that's typical.

She did have 1 chip (which drives her nuts but I would never have noticed it, it was so small). In any case, she warned me that if she had an "eased" edge or whatever it is, a more rounded corner on the edges, it wouldn't happen.

She went for really square corners, very crisp, in all the detailing. Including the edges on the soapstone. So she is expecting that there will be more chips in the future. She was forwarned by the fabricator.

• colickyboy
    13 years ago

i'm curious to know too. i had a sample of "minas black" from a dorado affiliate, which corresponds to "minas original" on the dorado web site (rated 2), and a beleza sample (rated 4).

I took a pot and whacked the minas black. The sample cracked into 5 different pieces. Now, I believe there was a hairline crack in the sample to begin with, but this makes me extremely nervous. I took the same pot and whacked the beleza... only got a slight nick.

I emailed Dorado directly as well as the affiliate. Dorado confirmed the Minas Original is softer than the Beleza. However, the affiliate said they are the same hardness. They gave me a KD reference who uses a lot of their soapstone; the KD told me none of her customers has complained about the hard/softness of Minas Black. The affiliate is sending me new samples to work with.

I love the look of Minas Black/Original but am quite wary that even if it doesn't shatter, it'll still be quite prone to chipping or major gouges. We'll see when I get the new samples...

• canicci
    13 years ago

When you say "chipping" and "broke off a chunk" - how big a piece are we talking apart?

• jazzcook
    13 years ago

I am glad you posted this.

We are considering Minas Duro, Beliza or PA Original right now and hardness is a concern. I believe that these are all considered harder soapstones. We are also having a sink made to match our counters. Small chips do not concern me. I view them as part of the look, sort of ike antiqueing, but cracks do concern me.

• focylrac
    13 years ago

I recently had Belvedere soapstone installed. It is considered "hard" by soapstone standards, and I think it has plenty of "veining"...nary a scratch, ding or chip, and I am completely IN LOVE with it!!!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Belvedere is considered the hardest..at least according to M. Teixeira.

• focylrac
    13 years ago

I looked at soapstone in a local 'stone' yard where they were pro-granite. They had a soapstone sample that was so soft I could scratch it w/ my fingernail. When I inquired as to what kind of soapstone it was, I was told 'regular'...needless to say I went elsewhere, M Texeira specifically. Good luck in your research, GW is a good place to steer you toward making an informed decision.

• susieliz
    13 years ago

I just received the sample pack from M.Teixiera. I slammed a heavy bottomed pan on the edges of my samples and gouged them with a key. Python and Mumbai Grey were the hardest ones, Python barely chipped at all, Mumbai didn't chip. Mumbai Grey feels more like a Pietra del Cardoso. It's very hard and smooth. I actually couldn't scratch it. I was worried that might be too hard and not be able to be sanded down easily and it doesn't have that SS feel. I ordered the Python. I would like more veining than the Python but I won't be able to see the slabs I am getting so to be safe I'm opting for a more uniform look.

• sw_in_austin
    13 years ago

We've been using our Beleza counters (from Dorado in Austin) for about 2 years and haven't come anywhere close to breaking a "chunk" off. There are a few dings around the edge of the undermount sink, quite small and probably unnoticeable to anyone but me unless you ran your hand across the edge. We could probably sand them out. I have used a green scrubby pad to erase a few scratches.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Susie...mmmmPython! It looks so good unoiled!

• sweetgumacres
    13 years ago

susieliz---

Python is my favorite, but... I can't seem to find a way to get it. Are you having slabs shipped from M.Tex to your fabricator, or how? Please give me hope!

(ship4u---sorry to hijack!)

• mary_in_nc
    13 years ago

My Green Mountain Original PA is 2 years old and I love it!! No chipping. No real scratches. Few surface level scratches from phone. They oil out easily. AND my Original PA has BEAUTIFUL veining. Your contractor does not know what he is talking about. GO for it!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• portland_renovation
    13 years ago

I have Barrocoa from M. Texiera and it does chip. Our cabinet installer was putting cab pulls in and dropped one on the edge of the counter. There is a small nick.

He felt SOOO bad until i told him that was exactly the point of soapstone. We have a 100+ year old house, and the last thing i want is the kitchen to look brand new. We spent a lot of time and effort trying to install a period inspired kitchen! In my opinion, the fact that soapstone is softer is an advantage, as it develops a patina much faster than other stones.

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Don't be afraid of soft soapstone. I was and I ended up getting a harder stone. It's nice but not nearly as nice as the Black Venata I fell in love with but didn't get because it was so soft. As Portland Renovation says, the chips and scratches are part of the look. The soapstone can definitely handle it. I realized this within a month of having our stone installed. More important is the way the stone is finished because if it's not done right, you will get water rings and spots and that is NOT a good look!

And to those looking at Pietra de Cardoza...it doesn't scratch but it does etch. Be sure to get a sample you can test so you can decide if etching is something you can live with.

• ali440
    13 years ago

We bought Minas from Dorado in Texas and have not had any problems with it. They are a few scratch but honestly you can not see them unless AT ALL!!!

I remember the sale girl explaining to me that there are different qualties & hardness of soapstone bepending on where the soapstone comes from. I know the Vermont soapstone is softer and more brittle than the Brazilian soapstone. Just make sure you get the Brazilian Soapstone and you will be fine!

All & all - the feel and touch of the soapstone and fantastic!

• Cindy Albach
    6 years ago

I have soapstone in my kitchen. I love how it looks. It has lots of veins. It does chip. Although, I will say with all the veining the small dents here and there are not obvious. I love being able to put hot stuff directly on it and not worrying about staining.

• indiecook
    6 years ago

I like hearing this.. We're going soapstone in our new kitchen.