Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Back wall elevation

kam76
10 years ago

What do you all think about this back wall of my L-shaped kitchen with an island?

I am worried the upper cabinets might be too bottom heavy. Or that the stacked above the fridge looks off? They are 36" with 14" (glass front) stacked and 4" of crown (9 foot ceilings). I am dealing with Aristocraft cabinets so my only options for the stacked uppers are 12", 14" or 18". I am also thinking I am going to have to go with a chimney hood because I would need an under cabinet hood that is 24" tall with this layout and a custom hood is not in the budget.

Comments (11)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I would do a single cabinet above the refrigerator to the ceiling and I think a chimney hood would look good.

• animacafe
    10 years ago

I agree with lyfia - a chimney hood to the ceiling and single cabinet doors to the ceiling above the fridge will create balance vertically, and the two sets of two cabs with stacked above will balance as well.

• elofgren
    10 years ago

Single doors above the fridge will be more useful too, if you're planning that spot for tray storage.

I'm not sure about the chimney hood. Why can't you just have your hood higher? Especially if it sticks out pretty far, 34-36" above the counter would be OK.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I would try a single over the fridge and a single over the range the same height and put the hood under that.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So would you recommend the fridge cabinet and possibly the cabinet above the range have glass or solid doors?

• lyfia
    10 years ago

How do you plan to vent the hood? If going up then you'd need non-glass doors. I think I'd prefer solid doors above the hood even if you are venting straight through the wall. Would balance the fridge one.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are venting straight out the back but solid doors on those sounds good. The space above the fridge would be for a 30" cabinet and above the hood would be 21"... how do you think it looks?

So the larger upper with smaller upper stacked cabinet balance doesn't seem too off to anyone 36"/14"? I know it isn't the ideal 2/3 to 1/3.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I would try a 30" cabinet over the range and a shorter hood. Or a 27" over both if that works better. I think they would look better if they were the same.

Also the one over the range is too close in size to the upper tier in the above drawing. It's a near miss visually.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think I want to go any smaller than an 18" tall hood so that might limit my options. The 10" tall hoods look kinda squatty to me.

Here is a rendering with the hood.

• kam76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had also considered removing the cabinets to the right of the range and doing open shelves, if I was going with the chimney style hood.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

If you don't want to go with a shorter hood I think it looks cleaner with the chimney-style hood as pictured. I like the symmetry of the last drawing and I think it would lose something with open shelves over to the right.