Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferhopper

Where to store new cabinets?

With our upcoming kitchen remodel we are ordering all wood RTA cabinets (about 30 maple painted cabinets ). I want to order well ahead of schedule to allow plenty of build time before kitchen contractor begins.

SInce it will take a few weeks/weekends to build followed by demo down to studs, where should I store the new cabinets until install?

Obvious choices are basement and garage, but is this a bad idea?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

jhophop:

You just want to assemble carcasses. You install them without the doors and drawers. As long as you don't back into them with a vehicle, I'm not seeing any problem with storing them in the garage.

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

Jhop-- out of curiosity, where did you purchase yours from? I'm looking at a budget kitchen redo and was leaning ikea but I've been seeing rta all wood prices even lower than that. I'm curious to know if people are happy with them.

And unless you're in extreme temps, wouldn't a clean and dry garage be fine for storage? That's what I was thinking of doing if we go the rta route.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We kept our cabinets in the boxes in the unheated garage for 1 year with no issues.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

When ours arrived they were stored in the garage, the spare bedroom and the master bedroom...it was a TON of stuff!!! We assembled them a few at a time and they stood in the living room until we were ready to install them.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Ours lived in the garage as well. We kept them "gift wrapped" until the install.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

We had 2 flats of ply-RTA cabs delivered to our un-heated garage. Then we unpacked and moved units into the basement for assembly. Cab boxes stayed in base until we were ready for the install. We tried to keep end-panels, drawer-fronts, doors etc packed tight until finish. But, everything was not kept as organized as planned. The basement is also the pantry, laundry room, playroom .... My 7 yo helped put some of the boxes together. You get the idea. Luckily the cabs were packed well, easy to assemble, and there were not that many because my kitchen is so small. Lol

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

Jhop-- thanks, how do I email you?

• SandraVichard
    9 years ago

No it is not a bad idea at all. Among basement and garage I suggest garage.If properly organized garages can be used for storing a lot of things. We remodeled our abandoned garage last year with the help of Garage Living company in Toronto. The remodeling was a great success and we now have plenty of space for storing things.
    If you are remodeling your kitchen remodeling plan a garage remodeling too.

• Jennifer Franson_Hopper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Threepinkteees:
    If you click on my name or my page it opens to my member info. One of the choices is "send an email".
    It's jenniferhopper@sbcglobal.net
    Look forward to hearing from you!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Threepinkteees:
    If you click on my name or my page it opens to my member info. One of the choices is "send an email".
    It's jenniferhopper@sbcglobal.net
    Look forward to hearing from you!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

You're welcome to post that information here, where others in your area might benefit. No need to take things off-board.

I've stored cabinets in my garage, attic, barn, front yard under a tarp but up on bricks, on the front porch, again, tarps and bricks, stacked in my den, and stacked on top of others in my master bedroom.

Cabinets are surprisingly durable, which is why we spend so much time agonizing about buying them in the first place.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

For the people who have said they stored cabinets in the garage, front porch etc.....I am curious if there is a clause in your cabinet purchase/warranty paperwork that specifies that cabinets/trim etc needs to be stored in conditioned space or your warranty would be void?

On my projects it seems that normal procedure is the KD, architect or interior designer will not ship to the site unless it is closed in, plaster and all wet work done in the space and that the space is conditioned...heat/AC/humidity controls etc

If you do take delivery and stick the cabinets in the garage and there is a problem...say the face frame joints open, the reveals are too tight or too open, door panel joints are raised etc....I would think the first thing that the company would ask if there was a complaint was how and where were they stored, in what stage was the project in before you took delivery and so on

Original Author
    9 years ago

threepinktrees:

Cabinet search started on Gardeweb with lots of great reviews of Medallion. I went to a few kitchen stores that carried Medallion and really fell in love with white shaker inset (it's not surprising I chose the most $$$). The quality of Medallion, Plain and Fancy and Woodmode left a big impression. I am just a sucker for all wood, dovetail, ect so the idea of Ikea just isn't for us (but many on Gardenweb love them!). I got quotes for our kitchen just for cabinets at >$30K. Designers said we were at about a $75K remodel which just didn't fit what we wanted to pay or made sense with the value of our house.

I then heard that Lowes Schuler brand is the same as Medallion but renamed. Quotes from them was better (full overlay only; not inset doors) but that was in the mid $20K's and wasn't inset so not my ideal.

Next, headed to several (maybe 4) custom cabinet makers which may Gardenweb people said may price out better...Not for us at least.

I started seeing posts on Gardenweb about Barker and Contestoga (who makes cabinet doors for many cabinet lines). Conestoga started a few years ago making boxes as well as doors and distributing to customers. I haven't priced out Ikea, but our quotes from various Conestoga distributers is about $12K +/-. This is for inset, all wood with upgraded shelves and custom sized. Barker is another option based out of Oregon, but I found more options through Conestoga.

There are 4 online distributors of Conestoga which varied by about $500 ish:
    1. Cabinet Joint
    2. Cabinet Authority
    3. Northern Granite and Cabinetry
    4. Cabinetmakers Choice

We are going through Cabinet Joint just because of Brian's great customer service. Their website has a video section which really goes into a lot of details with how various upper and lower cabinet come together and their quality.

• aries61
    9 years ago

jhophop, what white did you decide on and what door style?

I'm almost ready to place my order except still need to decide on what I'm doing with the range hood and microwave cabinet.

Original Author
    9 years ago

aries61:
    We are going with Albany inset door with 1/4" beading in Frosty White (I found Frosty to be a nice creamy white). We have an area between our kitchen and front door (our "landing area" for keys, phones, etc) and we ordered one glass upper and one custom lower from Brian @ CJ.

Once that arrives and we see how assembly goes we will order the rest of the kitchen (about 28 more cabinets).

Our working plan is to put the microwave into one shelf of our pantry...it has worked well for a friend of mine.

With the hood, I think we are going to go with a Stanisci Q wood hood through CJ like the one below, but in white. I know there are fancier hoods out there but this will work fine with our white traditional kitchen

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals