Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaspenny

Finished Kitchen - Soapstone and Slab Cherry

texaspenny
10 years ago

I couldn’t have done this kitchen without GardenWeb. I’ve been planning this for almost 2 years and reading everyone’s questions helped me figure out what my answers would be. It helped keep the stress down considerably. Where do I want the faucet? Off to the side. Where do we want the pulls? In the middle and a little up. Undercabinet lighting in Xenon? No, LED please. What type of cabinets? Slab full overlay, and yes, I do want the grain going horizontally. That’s really not as common here as it is on GW.

I felt so prepared, knew what questions to ask, what to look out for, and it was all because of you guys. Thank you!
We also vetted our GC very thoroughly. I went to two homes he had done projects in. One a full 1st floor remodel and the other a 2 guest bath and guest bedroom remodel. We also saw a kitchen he was just finishing up. We spoke to the home owners about their experience and it made us feel very comfortable going with them. If anyone in the Austin area wants a rec, let me know. As one of the homeowners said…they aren’t the cheapest in town, but you get what you pay for.

Here are the products:
Custom framed cabinets, natural cherry slab with horizontal grain and full overlay (Total grain matching would have been an extra $3500 and I just couldn’t do it since I’d said no to the Wolf range DH wanted. However, at install I saw that all the upper doors ARE grain matched which is so lovely. I don’t mind that the lower drawers are not since there’s no place in the kitchen you get a really good look at them)
Fridge: Samsung 4 drawer 36" RF4287HARS
Range: KitchenAid Freestanding Double Oven- gas KGRS505XSS
Hood: KitchenAid 30" Hood KXW4330YSS
Dishwasher: KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDE70FXSS (DH wanted a Miele but it didn’t fit our dishes well. So glad we tried it out in the showroom first. He really wanted the silverware tray and the KitchenAid had that)
Countertop: Anasazi Soapstone from Austin Dorado. We also used this as the backsplash. They said we needed 3 slabs for the countertops, so I basically said, ok, what else can I get out of them since I have to buy the entire slabs. We like the look and it made the backsplash choice angst-free.
Backsplash behind the range: Sheet of stainless steel with a random scratch pattern on it
Sink: Blanco Silgranit II Super Single in Anthracite
Faucet: Kohler Karbon-black with stainless steel (thought this was ugly until I played with it in a showroom. Love the functionality)
Pulls: Berenson Aspire
Floors: Tile: Earthwerks Boardwalk Plank - color Venice Beach

Lessons learned:
Document everything and double check as things are delivered. I discovered the tile guy had picked up the wrong grout and they were able to get a new bag before any grouting had been done. So glad I double checked the color.
If something looks off to you, measure! The electrician had installed two plugs too low on the wall and it would have hit a 4 inch backsplash. They were able to move them up before the drywall was put up.
Don’t expect people to think like you. I told the GC I wanted to have a meeting with the fabricator for templating the countertops. So glad I did. There was a large black blotch on the slabs and they said they’d try to get that in the sink cutout. I told him my priority was a good seam. If that meant the black blotch was to the side of the sink that was ok. It’s a natural stone and weird things happen. I wanted the one seam we needed to be terrific. Also, they wanted to get the countertop and backsplash all from the same area so it looked like one section flowing to the next. However, the peninsula is a large section and the area they wanted to use was not as pretty as an area right next to it. I pointed out that I’d rather have the other section and was ok with the backsplash being different. In that one area I was going to have the paper towel holder and large canisters anyways so you wouldn’t see much of the backsplash. A pretty peninsula was more important.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to ask questions, post pictures, and share your experience.

Here are the Before pictures.

And here's the after! It took 8 weeks to do and was fully permitted. The bright circle in the middle is a SolaTube and it brings in so much light it's crazy. We also replaced the door and bay window with a sliding door which made a huge difference.

The link for the full library shows a lot of the inside organizational things we did and close ups on the soapstone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Full set of pictures

Comments (37)

• smaloney
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Holy cow! This is just awesome. I love your kitchen. I have a very small galley and I hope to do something similar in terms of opening it up partially. Your cabinets and soapstone are just such a perfect combination - congratulations and hope you're enjoying the final product!

• granjan
    10 years ago

Really lovely. I thinkthat faucet is ugly too, but will now check out the function! Looks good in your kitchen. The soapstone is amazing!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

You did a great job! What a transition. I am in love with your wood cabinet choice, of course your soapstone which is a crown jewelry and even your choice of Berenson Aspire pulls.

Congratulations. May you have many special memories ahead.

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

What a huge difference between the before and afters! I love the sleek modern look and the gorgeous contrast between the cherry and the soapstone -- such a beautiful kitchen!

I also really enjoyed reading about how GW helped you. I had a similar experience. I overheard my contractor and my KD talking about how I always knew the answer and seemed to have researched everything to the max. Which, thanks to GW, I had, lol.

• sas95
    10 years ago

Really lovely job.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Just beautiful!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

AWESOME!!!!!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

AWESOME!!!!!

• texaspenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    granjan - yes, the first time my husband pointed it out, I said he was crazy and it was too ugly. Then we went down to a Ferguson showroom with my MIL and she too said 'that one? Ew!' and then both of us fell in love with it as we moved it around and adjusted it. She ended up buying it for us! The thing I like most about it is when I'm washing a few things by hand, I can move the faucet to be very close to me so I don't have to lean forward to rinse things off.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

What a difference - not only in looks but in the feel of the space. It was kind of frumpy before but it just feels so sophisticated now.
    Gorgeous.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Love the transformation!

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

Wow, you just mega-upgraded the look of your home. Bravo! Well done :)

• texaspenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought this 1979 house in '04 and when DH moved in, we agreed to remodel the insides instead of buying a new, larger house. We've done the master suite and now the kitchen. Just need to save up for the rest of the house. This is why I joke with people that even though we're putting in $100-$130k into this house, we're SAVING $100k because we didn't buy the bigger, more expensive house! We plan to stay here forever so we're not too worried about not getting the money back. We just want to enjoy it now.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love your cherry wood cabinets, your gorgeous soapstone your choice of Berenson Aspire pulls and your gorgeous floors. I looked up what your Floors were and was amazed they were tile as they look like real hardwood floors with such pretty coloring that is not too dark or too light. I copies and highlighted "Tile: Earthwerks Boardwalk Plank - color Venice Beach " and learned more.

Amazing transformation! Love the changes you made in your kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Ok now seriously -
    y'all gotta stop with the gorgeous kitchens!
    TexasPenny - It's just so good! I love seeing the soapstone/BS with ledge as I'm planning that as well.
    I'd like to know how you like your dishwasher too. It's on our short list.

• westleyandbuttercup
    10 years ago

Beautiful

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Those cabinets are gorgeous! Beautiful renovation. Thank you for posting good comments about our contractor.

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

"...your contractor."

• texaspenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lynn2006...the funny thing is that my husband said he hated the tile that looks like wood, so I completely ignored those while searching for tile. Then we were at a local tile shop and passed by a display for the Boardwalk Plank tiles and he said hey, I like that! But it's tile! He said, yeah, but that's really well done! I agreed, it was in the budget (about $5.50/sq ft), and the search was complete.

ppbenn...the kitchen was finished last week and we've run it 3 times so far. It's incredibly quiet. As for cleaning, I think it's fine. We had a Kenmore before that I loved, and that cleaned great too. The plastics are still wet, but we don't use the dry function. We just open it when it's done and they air dry very quickly. I haven't really tested it yet with cooked-on gunk. We do really love the utensil rack. No more dirty nested spoons.

• nancymark111
    10 years ago

hijack,
    How were you able to upload more than 1 picture on the same message?

I was only able to upload one using the box below?
    Image file to upload (optional):...............

Beautifully done. I am in the beginning of planning for a new kitchen renovation and this is helpful.

Nancy

• texaspenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The thread about 'New to Kitchens?...' has a link to how to post pictures. I followed the instructions about the photobucket account and copying the html that Photobucket gives you. You paste in the crazy html in the text and when you hit preview, you can see the pictures.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

those cherry cabinets are gorgeous! your new kitchen is so sophisticated. i had to do a double-take. I would never have guessed your floors were tile until i read about your grout issue.

• function_first
    10 years ago

Really beautiful --- love the materials you've chosen, they're just stunningly beautiful. Looks like a really functional, wonderful-to-work-in kitchen as well.

Nice job!!!!

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

Beautiful cabinets look warm and inviting.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

TexasPenny, I have the same dishwasher I bought in the last quarter of 2009 and I love it especially the upper utensil rack that I never had before. I kept going back and forth between the Bosch or the KitchenAid but the KitchenAid was larger inside to wash more dishes at the same time was my conclusion.

I would have never guessed your floor was tile until I copied and pasted the link and realized you did mention it was tile and then it was described as tile. It is so realistic and beautiful. Glad your husband liked it also.

Again, enjoy your kitchen and thanks for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

TexasPenny, I have the same dishwasher I bought in the last quarter of 2009 and I love it especially the upper utensil rack that I never had before. I kept going back and forth between the Bosch or the KitchenAid but the KitchenAid was larger inside to wash more dishes at the same time was my conclusion.

I would have never guessed your floor was tile until I copied and pasted the link and realized you did mention it was tile and then it was described as tile. It is so realistic and beautiful. Glad your husband liked it also.

Again, enjoy your kitchen and thanks for sharing.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

Wow! So beautiful! My renovation has just started and I made some very similar selections (same range and dw, soapstone counters, cherry cabs, very similar pulls), and it is great to see an example of how well they all work together. Enjoy!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Congratulations. I hope you get to enjoy it for many years to come! I love the soapstone especially and the way it meshes with your wood so beautifully.

• taggie
    10 years ago

Wow this is just beautiful! I love your cabinets, they are fabulous, and the hardware you chose is just perfect with them. The soapstone looks great with your cabinetry. And the tile floors ... wow! ... can't believe that is tile, it looks amazing.

Congrats on your beautiful new kitchen. You did an amazing job.

PS. your MIL sounds like a wonderful lady to go shopping with. :-)

• adel97
    10 years ago

Gorgeous, and it looks very functional. I love galley kitchens. Enjoy!

• sudaki
    10 years ago

Very striking! Enjoy!.....and I agree, GW is a remodeler's best resource.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

The cherry wood is just stunning with the soapstone and floors. Wow, hard to believe it's the same room. Congrats on a fabulous kitchen!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Just lovely! The cabinets are particularly beautiful. I love how the slab style lets the gorgeous wood be the star. Great job!

• deedles
    10 years ago

It doesn't look at all like it could be the same space! Your soapstone is really beautiful. I heart your big pantry, too! So nice! Enjoy!

• texaspenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I kept basically the same layout with the peninsula, just took out the upper cabs and wall to the family room. The pantry and vertical storage is my favorite part too. The deep drawers on the bottom are great. It allowed the pantry doors to be one sheet of veneer since they were short enough. At first I was going to have vertical storage over the fridge, as I've seen done here. But, I'm only 5'4" and putting it over the pantry made it much easier to get into.

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

Can hardly believe this is the same kitchen! I love how you added the counter near the slider, extended the sink counter, and opened up the upper wall. And your cabs, soapstone, and hardware make my heart flutter! I've always loved soapstone, but never thought about using it as a backsplash; I absolutely love how you did that! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new kitchen for many years to come!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living