Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whit461

Take them up or leave them

whit461
10 years ago

A little bit of renovation fatigue, a little bit of money flying out the door, we are thinking that we don't enclose the top of the wall cabinets to the ceiling, and just leave them for now, cleaning up the ceiling and doing the crown around the back wall.

Opinions? Thanks all...

Comments (15)

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

Take them all the way up! :)

• Mistman
    10 years ago

At least crown the top of the cabs. I put above cabinet lights up there (with molding on the cabs) and love the lighting at night. I have 9 ft ceilings also.

• rosylady
    10 years ago

Agree: all the way up!

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

To the ceiling!

• malhgold
    10 years ago

How are the cabinets in the rest of the room? I have a wall of cabinets like that, but I don't have any uppers in the rest of the kitchen. I think it should be consistent with whatever else is going on in the kitchen.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I understand that you're getting tired, after looking at the top of my cabinets, I'd say to bite the bullet and close that opening.

• cooksnsews
    10 years ago

There is no reason to add crown unless you really like that look. Crownless is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Yes, but take Mahlgold's lesson. There's an important reason why her cabinets stop there. Very deliberate and very excellent. Can you add something else to integrate that top line into the overall design? How about working on the layout of those shelves in the corner for a start? But it doesn't have to be this summer. :)

• rmtdoug
    10 years ago

Mahlgold, I love your kitchen. It looks so simple and serene. It must be a joy to work at your counters without uppers crowding your space.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I noticed that there is a door on the far side of that pic. Would you get a tunnel effect putting the up to the ceiling?

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Without seeing them in context with the remainder of the kitchen, I agree to take them all the way up. Cleaning there will be a pain.

One important difference between Whit and Mahlgold's kitchens is that Mahlgold's cabinets are much shallower than are Whit's.

• whit461
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Malhgold, it's like you knew. We have no uppers in the rest of the kitchen (sorry, the pic was just taken over morning coffee). The cabinets come out 24" and nearly fill a space between 2 doorways. We have 11" clear at top and it is not enough for functional doors above. Original plan had me going all the way up and installing crown around the room. With careful planning I could add faux drawer fronts later which would be a consistent look all the way to the top. Urgh...... I am one hard weekend from being done!

• malhgold
    10 years ago

Based on the rest of the kitchen, I would leave them as they are. I think if you take them to the top it will overpower the kitchen. To me it would feel like they were top heavy.

Your kitchen looks beautiful. Great minds think alike!!

• rosie
    10 years ago

Your kitchen and Mahlgold's have some nice things in common. Your pantry block is much higher than the rest already, though. Nothing to tie in to. I'd finish to the ceiling in a very simple manner--12" board sawn down and very simple moldings as needed bottom and top. The flat plane will echo the rest of the kitchen cabinetry. Doesn't have to be done this summer, though. :)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

As is....total dust collector...do you really want to be on a ladder cleaning the top?