Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_123_gw

Roll out trays and canned goods storage

pat_123
13 years ago

Our 30"w x 54"h x 20"d pantry cabinet with three roll out trays was installed with the shelves equi-distant apart starting from the bottom.

I'm going to ask the guys to re-position the roll outs so that I can use the bottom of the cabinet as a stationary shelf. I might make the lower two roll outs closer together rather than evenly spaced.

Can you share pics of how you store canned goods in your pantry cabinet? Or how you are using your pantry cabinet?

TIA.

Comments (11)

• earthpal
    13 years ago

Sorry, I don't have pictures yet of our pantry. If you are going to use the bottom shelf of the cabinet, then I would highly recommend getting a basket or something that you could easily pull out to see what is in the back.

Our shelves vary from 14" at the bottom for flour etc. in jars to about 8" for canned goods etc.

Are you able to order another roller drawer?

• doraville
    13 years ago

Here's my pantry. Most drawers are 8" apart, but the bottom shelves are 16" apart from the next shelves. There's also more space on the top drawers. I've liked those distances. My really big bottles of olive oil, etc are on the bottom. In the very top section, there aren't any drawers, just a half shelf.

I have a couple of more pantries. One assoc'd with the office and holding the printer, computer, etc and another pantry which is mostly for appliances (e.g, blender, fryer, etc) but has two vegetable bins on the bottom for the potatoes and onions.

From Kitchen

• zelmar
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Is it a pantry that starts at the floor? If so, it seems to me the last place you'd want a stationary shelf would be on the bottom...you would have to get on your hands & knees to access things there. Stationary top shelves, yes, but not bottom shelves. Something like Zelmar's.

If it starts at counter level, it wouldn't be as bad, but I still think I'd rather have a roll out tray shelf at that height.

BTW...aren't your shelves adjustable by you? Do you need to decide on the final spacing right now? It might be better to wait and see how things "play out" when you move back into the kitchen and adjust them as you fill the shelves up.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I'm having my rollouts placed much closer together so I can lay the canned goods on their sides and read the labels, like you would with a drawer full of spice bottles. Stacking up cans and then having to rearrange them every time to find what I wanted would drive me crazy.

• doraville
    13 years ago

Warmfridge, let us know how you like it. I never considered it. I do find cans a lot of different heights, but at least a few drawers like that make sense for canned vegetables.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Somebody on here has already tried it, because I stole the idea from their pictures. ;-)

• zelmar
    13 years ago

I should mention that the picture I posted above is the top half of my pantry. The bottom half is drawers where we store items that don't sit on shelves well, such as bagged pasta and snacks.

I stack like things on top of each other on the roll outs and put similar products (i.e. soups or beans or tomatoes) in the same area. Stacking works well for us since I need to maximize the storage space. Putting in more pull outs would eat up too much space for our needs--with the air space between shelves and the physical space the shelves take up.. We've had it this way for almost 5 years and I find it very easy.

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Doraville- how tall is your lower pantry cabinet? I may need to get another pull out, but didn't want to commit the funds until I'd tried the stationary shelf position.

Buehl- yes, the pantry starts on the floor, but I'm looking for storage for things like cases of water, soda, large packs of paper towels, etc. that don't necessarily need to be on a pull out.

I'm actually living in place during the remodel. I was bringing things up to test them this weekend. Too bad not all cans are made stackable. Some bottoms are made to stack and some aren't.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

warmfridge - I think I have that pic saved but don't know if i should post it because their name is on it... I liked that also. I'll have a pantry but plan to have a shallow drawer for specific canned goods like soup, dog food, other things I use regularly for the days I can hardly walk or am otherwise very sick. Those days walking another 6' can be torture!

in my pantry the shelf for canned goods will be deep enough to hold about 3 cans. I'll put 3 deep of normal things. something I use a lot of there'll be 2 rows 3 deep. that'll be something like chicken soup (for when I'm sick) and dog food.

it's just me so I don't want to keep more of anything than I'd use in about a yr. hmmm... I think half of the whole shelf will be dog food...lol!

• eks6426
    13 years ago

I too have more roll-outs so I can put the shelves closer together. I have an IKEA pantry cabinet that is put in a closet. I liked that I could add as many roll-outs as I wanted and I can also move them. YOu might ask the cabinet guys how to change the roll-out heights so you can change it down the road. I think at least one more roll-out...maybe 2 would make the best use of your space.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH