Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Any experiences with serpentine on counters?

Fori
15 years ago

I should have known shopping for plain old white marble would lead to trouble...

We found a piece of green "marble", a serpentine, that we sort of like. I haven't been able to etch it or stain it (except oil seems to darken it a bit) but it does seem soft and scratchable.

This would be for a baking center and possibly backsplash but it's bound to take some abuse.

Does anyone have experience with how this family of stone wears? Does it have weaknesses I haven't discovered yet?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

I don't think you're eligible ...

It just so turns out that you have to have either a connection or a predisposition to Egyptology in order to have a Serpentine. Not just Egyptology but a binding interest in Egyptian royalty.

To wit:
    the only persons that I know who've used Serpentines are: Ramses and Pharoah. 'Nuff said.

(look at the FKB for pics of both their kitchens).

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I love it. A thread originated and responded to by two of my favorite and funniest TKOS! :-> Keep it up! And, sorry, Fori. As for actual practical advice on this subject, I've got none to offer. :-

• Fori
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info! :) I'll look up Ramses' kitchen. The OTHER I've already envied.

My mom took me to the touring Tut exhibit when I was in first grade--does that count? I got out of school for it!

Pharaoh, yours looks fabulous (I also love your tank). Is it polished or honed (not the tank)? No grease spots (again, the stone)?

• gailrolfe
    15 years ago

fori, we just had green "marble" or serpentine installed as our countertops. We love them but have done minimal cooking on them so far (just a few weeks) so I'm not a great testamonial for you. However, before we decided to go that route we checked it out through a number of sources, not just GW, and found that it was consistently described as being a relatively easy stone to work with. So far we've only spilled milk, egg and oj on it and of course water with no staining or etching. We've also given it a fairly healthy splattering of oil to no ill effect. Of course, the real test will be over time...but we do love it so far, FWIW.

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Fori,
    Oh the king tut exhibit, I felt right at home :) Although the recent one in LA was not that good. No golden mask :(

The connemara is polished. Polishing brings out the mica specks and all the other gorgeous inclusions.

i believe that some serpentine has asbestos! but it is all encapsulated and not freely released from the counters. I dont worry about it.

we dont have any oil stains even though oil has sat on it overnight. I cook a lot of indian food which means turmeric (which stains everything) yet we have had not stains.

The stone was backed with a mesh because there are natural fissures which may separate during fabrication.

One fabricator refused to work with the stone because it was very expensive and delicate to work with. Our fabricator did an extraordinary job with the floor returns and the flat edge i wanted.

• Fori
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, Gail and Pharaoh. Might I inquire if your countertops are sealed?

• gailrolfe
    15 years ago

Sorry, fori, I hadn't seen your response on this. My countertops are polished but there was also some kind of sealer added after installation. I didn't inquire as to what it was so I'm not much help. We've been living with them more for a couple of weeks now and I do notice that when water sits on them for awhile, it does leave a temporarily darker spot but it disappears after just a few minutes. But I suppose that is the purpose of the sealer...to minimize that sort of staining.

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

The stone was sealed but i doubt it makes any difference. I try to seal it once a year but the stone in not porous at all so it does not soak any sealer. I just wipe it off.

• Fori
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! No problem with the delay--I'm not in a hurry! No, really, I'm not. I think we might go with the plain old white stuff, but when we do go pick something out, I'll make sure all the green stuff has been made accessible. Knowing it's a good material is helpful.

• plllog
    15 years ago

I have rainforest green "marble" in my master bath and dressing area. I've been told it's serpentine. My father leaned his tush on the corner of the dressing table and cracked the stone along one of the veins. It was supported, of course, so is just a mend. I don't know how other stones with strong veining do, but thought I should mention it.

Otherwise, I love the rainforest green and haven't had any other trouble in 7 years of using no care. Face cream doesn't leave grease spots, but also gets cleaned up pretty quickly (unlike a spoon hastily dropped by a non-TKO). :) The stone does have a noticeable texture that might make kitchen cleaning a little more care-needing than a polished granite.