Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitten_gw

Is Uba Tuba or Absolute Black too much on a walnut island?

BlueKitten
12 years ago

For those following my color saga last week, DH and I have FINALLY decided to do white cabinets with a walnut-stained island. We agree that we want a contrasting countertop. Since white is the main color, we're considering Uba Tuba or a black granite. Will that look too heavy with the darker stain? This is a concern because the front of the island will hide a good chunk of the lowers. Both of us would greatly prefer to use the same countertop on the island and the main areas.

Here are the other particulars:

- the dining area at the end of the kitchen has a large east-facing window, so we'll have good lighting during the morning but will be a bit dimmer in the evening

- the floor will be a medium tone with lots of color variations and movement

- we're also going for a mid-toned backsplash that will tie everything together

I'm hoping Uba Tuba works because long before I became TKO, I spotted a sample in a showroom and liked it immediately. I haven't felt that way about any other countertop samples in our price range. Also, the tones in Uba Tuba would tie in nicely with the stone fireplace in our living room, which is open to the kitchen/dining area.

Comments (12)

• Fori
    12 years ago

It would be pretty, elegant, and require daily dusting. :) Go for it!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Since you asked, I don't like black or near black stones on a dark wood island. I admire it on white cabs though. That's just me.

Will your black granite be shiny and polished or honed?

• BlueKitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezy, I prefer a more matte look, but some of the threads about honed Absolute Black have scared me away from that option. I don't know anything about honed Uba Tuba.

And here I thought making a decision about the cabinet color would be the tough part, LOL.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

OK I am going to throw in the monkey wrench here. I also do not like the idea of the Uba with the dark island. I agree with you in that I too would prefer the same granite on all the surfaces. Since you like green would you consider Costa Esmeralda? It is a lighter green granite that would work with both your finishes. It is very peopular and I don't think you will have trouble finding it. JMHO:)

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I am not sure.....

On the one hand I think it would look perfectly nice.
    But then I read Ellendi and started to think maybe she
    is right. So then I searched my pics to see white kitchens
    with dark wood (similar to walnut) islands and now
    I see what she means. But, what do you like?
    Because with enough light the kitchen would be beautiful
    with dark counters on island and perimeter.

I also included an picture with Costa Esmeralda. That is
    a lovely granite too. The cool thing is that you might
    find a remnant in white marble, or typhoon bordeaux
    or maybe Costa Esmeralda or even white river that
    might be a fun balance to the kitchen.
    ~boxer

The perimeter looks like Costa Esmeralda

Costa Esmeralda

• malhgold
    12 years ago

My perimeter cabs are painted black with a brushed black counter. Since I planned a contrasting island, I didn't want the black cabs to have a contrasting countertop as well. It's all a matter of personal preference. For me, I wanted the island to stand out and felt that it wouldn't if the perimeter cabs were 2 tone.

• BlueKitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxerpups, thanks again for the great pictures. In photos, I prefer the lighter countertops on the darker islands, but I saw a Parade of Homes house recently that used a black/dark brown countertop on both pieces and it looked AMAZING. It wasn't a soft look, but it was striking. Maybe it worked because it had both brown and black tones to tie everything together, though.

Costa Esmeralda is gorgeous and I'd use it in a heartbeat if I could find it. I'm surprised to hear it's a common granite; I haven't seen in in my area at all.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I would have said keep looking until I saw some of the pictures boxerpup posted I like the dark island with dark tops.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I found another.... I think Ubatuba or black would look
    great.

• kaysd
    12 years ago

I think polished black counters can look great on walnut, as long as the stain color on the walnut is not too dark. Google the Smallbone of Devizes walnut and silver collection. They combine polished black granite with a medium tone walnut and it is gorgeous.

I also think Costa Esmeralda (or other light to medium green) would look great with both colors of cabinets.

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Uh oh. I hope it's okay because we are having soapstone on top of walnut cabs! Thanks for the pics Boxerpups as usual! I do like the contrast too, but DH really wanted soapstone. Of course that's after we mitigate the asbestos tape that was just found INSIDE the ductwork. :-(

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Cluelessincolorado,
    No worries. Soapstone on anything is gorgeous.
    Here are pics of SS and wood to ease your fears.
    Smiles.
    ~boxer