Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl_cottage

Ceasarstone for a cottage style kitchen? Color ideas?

caligirl_cottage
16 years ago

Does anyone have a color for ceasarstone they'd suggest for a white kitchen, shaker style painted cabs with a wood floor? I'd like a "soapstone" look, but can't afford it and I like the no-brainer quality of ceasarstone in terms of maintenance. There are some darker greys but I don't know how they read when there is a large field of it.

TY!

Comments (21)

• sw_in_austin
    16 years ago

We got samples of honed Raven C'stone and really liked its looks. We put it through a bunch of tests and weren't able to stain it. We also got (I think) honed Pebble, Lagos Blue and maybe Concrete and we liked Raven the best (it's the darkest of the four and I think the most soapstone-like).

We had seen honed Lagos Blue installed in another kitchen our contractor did and it looked and felt a lot like concrete (it's not really blue).

We're ending up going with soapstone; we're getting the soapstone from Dorado Soapstone and we got a great deal on fabrication/installation, matching the price of C'stone installed. We're in central Texas, which might affect the price.

• caligirl_cottage
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love the Raven color, and wondered about the honed version. I've got a local stone place I can check the pricing on soapstone too, but my family is so hard on stuff, I don't want to be precious about my counters.

BTW, sw in austin, I think we're doing almost the same kitchen! IKEA cabs etc. You mentioned that you had an excell sheet for the IKEA ordering that you could share. If the offer still stands, I'd love to check it out. I don't know how to share my email though.

Thanks

• peggross1
    16 years ago

I have white painted, beaded inset cabinets and have polished Raven Caesarstone perimeter counters.

Also went through the pietra de cardosa, soapstone and pietra de Bedonia phases and finally felt most comfortable with the low maintenance of the Caesarstone. Note, the polished is not nearly as shiny/reflective as polished granite and marble. I thought the honed Raven was very boring b/c you couldn't see the "depth" that was able to be seen in the polished. That, plus the honed is much more maintenance than regular polished finish.

Here's an old pic of the counter when it just went in. It is now all covered with plastic b/c the painters STILL aren't done in the kitchen.

Good luck!

• caligirl_cottage
    Original Author
    16 years ago

smarge, that's beautiful. I'm so envious that you're close to being finished!

• malhgold
    16 years ago

I'm considering ceasarstone for my kids bathroom. White painted cabs and am looking at the darker colors, including the concrete color.

Smarge - I know you haven't been using your kitchen yet so I guess you really can't comment on fingerprint issues or how dirty the polished counters look in real life. I've heard that AB granite and some of the other black granites show everything. Isn't go to be too attractive for a kids bathroom if that's the case.

Thanks!!

• sw_in_austin
    16 years ago

Caligirl -- It does sound like we're doing a similar thing with our kitchens. Have you found out anything more about the Scherr's doors? I was very curious about that but didn't really have the lead time to spare. I figure I could always retrofit the doors/drawers in a few years, given how much I'm spending on the IKEA (not that I'll probably ever do that; we lived with the hideous kitchen for 15 years, after all!).

BTW, the soapstone we're getting, which is called Beleza (from Dorado Soapstone), is very hard. It seems a bit different to me than other soapstones I've seen discussed here (although I've never seen those). I don't think chipping or scratching is going to be an issue (fingers crossed). And I've heard that C'stone can also chip. I was supposed to go pick a soapstone slab today but various other things intervened. Probably tomorrow. I'll post pics.

I'd be glad to send you the Excel spreadsheet that I used. It helped me organize prior to getting my draft order together at IKEA. I'm not sure what the theory is about sharing email addresses in a forum message. Anybody have any thoughts?

• peggross1
    16 years ago

OK, I just have to show off the backsplash for behind that sink -

And here is the backsplash behind the 48" range. The flash makes it hard to see how pretty our Chagall inspired Tree of Life is, but it is stunning in person!

• angelcub
    16 years ago

I love your backsplash and your counters look great with your cabs. I'm thinking of recycled glass for our two upstairs baths but I have seen some lovely ceasarstone counters. Isn't it great that there is something for everyone. : )

• remodelqueen
    16 years ago

smarge, your backsplashes and cabinets are beautiful. Great job!

• sw_in_austin
    16 years ago

Smarge -- Those backsplashes are amazing.

Caligirl -- I think I changed my member profile so you can send me an email from my member page. Give it a try.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

smarge... can you tell me a little about your backsplash? It's absolutely beautiful!

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Sorry for the thread drift!!! (I'll get my own thread when my kitchen is done, promise!)

Anyone loving my backsplash might be interested in the following website, which is where I found my artist, Cindy Fisher. (I also had her come to NJ to install it b/c I'd been having trouble w/our tilers and wanted her to do it.)

She is excellent and easy to work with - highly recommended!

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Bang Mosaics

• plants4
    16 years ago

Caesarstone was very expensive in a bid that I got. I had a very large sample of honed Lagos BLue and it was beautiful. Certainly not blue. Tones of grey, brown, tiny flecks of gold. Very even looking and yet complicated.

I was concerned about what it would look like when scratched.

• edlakin
    16 years ago

we just today got our caesarstone counters installed. i'm not sure if our kitchen is 'cottage', but we've got painted cabinets....

here are a few shots. the caesarstone is polished jersusalem sand.

• julie7549
    16 years ago

I have white cabinets, too, but my Caesarstone is Misty Carrera. I love the look of dark cabinets but an too much a neat freak not to be able to see my dirt. :-) The Caesarstone is so easy to clean. I'm glad I went with it instead of granite or marble and the maintenance that would entail.

• caligirl_cottage
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cool tin ceiling edlakin! I like the countertops too. I was originally thinking of misty carrera, since I have always loved carrera marble and had it in a bathroom but I kind of burned out on it. Maybe if I saw a slab of it I'd have a better idea.

This is really hard. I need to go to a stone place and see a bunch of stuff in bigger sizes, and also get some prices to see where everything comes in.

Thanks for all the cool pics and ideas though.

• edlakin
    16 years ago

we considered misty carrara, but it looked like it was just trying way too hard to look like marble. without actually looking convincingly like marble.

Cool tin ceiling edlakin!

thanks. i can't wait until the island light fixture and crown go in--those'll make the tin ceiling really come to life.

• bons
    16 years ago

Julie - I'm considering Misty Carrera with my white cabinets too. Do you have any pictures fo the cabinets/counter? I love the look of marble (or near marble) but I want the low maintanance of Quartz.

Bonnie

• neesie
    15 years ago

smarge, I just wanted to thank you for posting the Big Bang website! I think your backsplashes are extraordinary! I spent at least an hour admiring Cindy's work since you provided the link to her website. I think the only problem when you install a piece of art like that in your home is that you'll never want to move away! Hope you enjoy it everyday.

• julie7549
    15 years ago

Bonnie ~ here is one shot. There are more pics in the finished kitchen blog.

{{!gwi}}

• peggross1
    15 years ago

neesie - you're very welcome! I hope a lot of people go to Cindy's website, even just to look. My favorite work of hers is the 6 foot diameter floor mosaic she did for someone of a bird (heron?) fishing in a pool of water. The reflection is so good it gives me goose bumps!

And yes, the house we're renovating is our 'forever house' so there should be no more moving! YAY!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!