Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchfrenzy

Diamond Cabinets

kitchfrenzy
15 years ago

Does anyone know anything about Diamond Cabinets? They were rated well by Consumer Reports. Does anyone know anything about their quality and whether they do a good job with glazing?

Comments (18)

• chefkev
    15 years ago

They're part of the "Masterbrand" family of cabinets which also includes: Aristocraft, Kitchen Craft, Schrock and Omega. (see link http://www.masterbrand.com/brands/pages/diamond.cfm)
    Other GWers have posted that Diamond and Thomasville are essentially the same brand. I've included a previous link that might help. I have a post in there that notes that Diamond and Schrock look mighty similar as well. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Brand Ranking Thread

• luvmyguys
    15 years ago

kitchfrenzy-

I'm also interested in this topic. The KD we met with yesterday sells Diamond and Decora. All I know is that Diamond is sold through Lowe's but I haven't had a chance to go there yet. I don't know if they have them on display. The KD seemed to be steering us toward Decora, which I had never heard of before. When were they rated by Consumer Reports? Was it that Aug. 2004 issue that I can't get at our library? Anyone have any more info?

• Kristi
    15 years ago

I have Diamond cabinets and I think they are great. Well built, good finish. I'd recommend them.

• chefkev
    15 years ago

luvmyguys - I have Consumer reports online and can't find any recent cabinet ratings.

• kitchfrenzy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kristi-
    What color are your cabinets? Do you have a glaze on them? I'm curious how their glazing looks. Is it subtle or a lot of glazing?

• Kristi
    15 years ago

My cabs are maple with an opal glaze/finish. The glaze is subtle, not streaky at all. It just makes the cabinets less yellow and a bit lighter.

• kitchfrenzy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kristi. Do you by any chance have any photos? Did you order them through Lowes or another dealer?

• Kristi
    15 years ago

Yes, I got mine at Lowes. They have a great return policy. I ordered a tall pantry cabinet and the drawers did not slide too well, I never really liked the cabinet or the idea of having this giant pantry cabinet, so I returned it, no problems at all, and replaced it with something else.
    Here is a photo:
    {{!gwi}}

More pictures can be seen here. For some reason they show kind of pink-ish in these photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

• luvmyguys
    15 years ago

kristi-
    Great kitchen! I'm envious of all your windows and your view. I love the banquette- wish we could work something like that in. Are your cabs the Sumner doors? How do you like your big drawers to the right of the range? Also, did you do any of the upgrades with the box and/or drawer construction? Thanks for any info you can give.

• Kristi
    15 years ago

Thanks, I forget the name of the style. It varies from store to store. But Sumner sounds familiar. I love the big drawers to the right of the range. They are 33" wide each. Good for pots and pans. As for upgrades, I got full wood construction and full extension drawers.

• kitchfrenzy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kristi,
    Your kitchen is gorgeous. I'm not familiar with the opal glaze you mentioned. Are your cabinets opaque (painted) with a glaze or is it a light colored stain with a glaze?
    Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photos.

• Kristi
    15 years ago

THanks Kitchfrenzy.
    First to answer the original poster more about Diamond cabs, I originally looked at Diamond because they were rated high in consumer reports. In looking at them, I found they were very similar to Kraftmaid. I ended up choosing Diamond over Kraftmaid because they were slightly cheaper and I liked the Saleperson at Lowes (he was very helpful and provided itemized costs cabinet by cabinet, none of the other cabinet shops would do that).

Anyway, on the Diamond website, the door style is Montgomery, though different cabinet stores will call it different things. The finish I have is called Pearl (Opal was the name of the similar glaze in Kraftmaid). I guess it's a "finish" rather than a "glaze". But it is not painted opaque, you can see the grain of the wood through the finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond cabinets - Montgomery style

• kitchfrenzy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the photos and information Kristi. Your kitchen is fantastic.

• karpenter2
    5 years ago
    • purchased diamond brand cabinets from lowes about 9 months ago. when they arrived I started to hang the wall cabinets witch were all nice and easy to install all except one was just a little out square but being a contractor for 30 years I made it work and they all look great. I recently just opened the base cabinets and started to install them and I was so aggravated by the time I was done. I don't think anyone in aurther Illinios know what a square is in their manufacturing plant. If you order their cabinets send them a framing square with your order, also include instructions
  • Samantha Rassner
    5 years ago

I purchased diamond cabinets in Sept 2017... 6 months later and I have TERMITES spewing out of them!!!! I am so disgusted!

• J M
    5 years ago

We are looking at Diamond cabinets from ProSource. They carry two lines of Diamond (Vibe and the other line is just listed as Diamond). I saw a mix of reviews online but it seemed most of the bad reviews were from box stores. I wonder if some issues were KD or installer issues. The upper line of Diamond at ProSource looks to have a set of features/quality for the cost range. Would be interested in hearing from others.

• Mark Courtney
    5 years ago

After making the difficult and expensive decision to remodel our master bath, my wife and I were directed to ProSource Cincinnati for cabinets, granite and tile. The following details the numerous issues we experienced in our dealings with Diamond Cabinets.

After explaining that we would like a higher-end cabinet, my wife and I were directed to the Diamond line of cabinets and selected a Cherry cabinet with an expresso finish. We purchased an 8-foot vanity and a floor-to-ceiling custom-designed pantry style cabinet.

The cabinets arrived damaged, which isn’t necessarily a Diamond issue aside from the fact that the delivery agent consisted of one person to handle several large cabinets.

A base cabinet was damaged on the bottom right corner – looks like handling damage as opposed to something that left the factory damaged.

Upon installation we noticed that one of the pantry doors had a nick at the top of the door and several wood defects (a groove in the wood) at eye level.

The top two doors of the pantry cabinet were a different sheen or different grain than the cabinet they sit on. Immediately obvious to anyone who looked at the doors.

The front frame of the pantry cabinet isn’t square as the bottom left corner shows the raw wood of the side panel.

Virtually every drawer (except two) of the vanity has a flaw, each of the four under-sink doors has a flaw.

The Diamond Sales Representative for this area came to my home to review the cabinets and agreed to replace doors and drawers and then have a furniture refinisher come to correct any remaining minor defects.

At this point, no one seems to be able to locate our replacement parts and we are left hanging. Of course, ProSource has been paid as well as Diamond.

Folks, do yourself a favor and stay away from this manufacturer. Nothing here but poor craftsmanship and no one willing to own an issue to resolve the problem. A letter to Diamond senior management went unanswered.