Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tartan22

match tile to white cabs or use a starker white?

tartan22
13 years ago

I am in love with adex beveled tile but it is a slightly starker white than my cabs.

Should I use a matching tile (non-beveled rittenhouse artic white matches cabs) or use the starker white beveled adex tiles?

Help!

Comments (10)

• ellendi
    13 years ago

If you can match the tile to the cabinets I think that would be the best choice. I think the starker white might look too sterile. IMO

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I have some pics in my inspiration files that might help. Have you gotten samples and set them up in place? That would give you an opportunity to see them in your kitchen's lighting, etc. Also, what are your countertops like? In the meantime, here are some pics:

This one is a starker white tile

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107)

Maybe slightly starker tile, could be the lighting

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by new york architect Austin Patterson Disston Architects

Definitely stark white with creamy cabs

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by chicago kitchen and bath The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn

Matches cabinets, counters are whiter than tile

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by other metros Witt Construction

And you can't go wrong with a match

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by san francisco general contractor Mueller Nicholls Cabinets and Construction

I think I like the slight difference between the creamy cabs and starker tile best. Although if you have slightly off white cabs, it helps to consider the undertones of the cabs (pink or yellow?) when making your decision. Also something to keep in mind: I'm no expert....... hopefully, you'll get more weigh-ins!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I think sometimes things have more dimension if they do not match exactly. Depending upon the finish of your cabinets the white will oxidize or yellow somewhat over time anyway, while the tile will remain constant. If you had two tiles that were identical in every way, I would probably match them, but if you like the beveled tile better, I would probably choose the beveled tile and embrace the difference.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

My tile is a bit brighter white than my cabinets or the marble counter. They are also glossier and play differently with the light. I think having different shades of white gives more depth and a comfort factor to a room -- even though your eye will read them all as white.

• jrueter
    13 years ago

It is really hard to match tile to cabinets because the light does treat them differently. I have creamy cabinets and off-white tile backsplash. If you take a tile and hold it up to my cabinets they look like a perfect match. But my backsplash never is in the same plane with my cabinets. In some light they match perfectly. In other light (esp. low light) there is a very noticeable difference. When the undercab lights are on the difference looks even more dramatic. Initially I wasn't sure I liked it, since I looked all over to match the color, but it has grown on me and now I love it. Like lascatx said - it gives it more depth, and different moods at different times of day. Rookie's point about the undertone of the white is good - if you match that I think you will be fine, like using two paints from the same card.

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

On a less grand scale...a beach cottage kitchen - The cabinets and counter are creamier than the tile - closer to range and fan hood that pulls out. The different shades give the kitchen some definition. Otherwise would be too much of the same color. Walls and cabinets are BM White Dove.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

I agree that no matter how meticulously you try to match tile and cabinet or other paint, the light will play differently with whatever you have chosen. Everything is different in my kitchen depending on whether you are looking at the corner or the outer edge, the top or the bottom, etc. I just went to look after reading your question and was surprised to find that the brand new paint job registered two completely different tones on either side of the hood and tile because of the lights.

I do have the Adex Neri white beveled tile, and no-name ("Stock") white on my cabinets. As jrueter said, the two are not next to each other and it doesn't seem to matter, even though I took a cabinet drawer in to the tile shop and they appeared to be a close match. Now I can't tell if they are or not because of location and lighting.

Do you love the beveled tile? I say go for it... embrace the difference, as palimpsest said.

• jeanteach
    13 years ago

I, too, fell in love with a beveled subway tile (in my case from Lanka). I didn't change my cabinets when I did my kitchen "refresh", and the tile is definitely whiter than the cabinets. But I love it. It's glossy and clean. I agree with jsweenc: if you love the beveled then definitely use it. As other posters have said, your cabinets will inevitably change color over time, if only slightly, and what matches now may not match later. Also, it's true that even if the tile matches when you hold it up to the cabinet, it may not look the same when it's actually on the backsplash. Here's a photo of mine. Hope this helps.

• blondelle
    13 years ago

Have you seen their Bisque shade? Has more cream in it.