Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angel411_gw

Finished Farmhouse Kitchen

angel411
13 years ago

I'm a long-time lurker and could not have built this house without this site! I'm posting in hopes of helping someone else like you wonderful people helped me!

Our house is a coastal farmhouse style in NE Florida. I dreamed of white shaker inset cabinets (Jbrodie's to be exact) so we gave our cabinet maker a picture of her kitchen. I was a little nervous because he had never built insets before, but I'd say he did a pretty good job! They are wonderful! (and ended up around $6,000 less than full overlays that were quoted from Kraftmaid)

The undercabinet lighting reads a little yellow, but the walls are a soft gray...we went with only a 4 in granite backsplash and it works well for us.

Please let me know if you have any other questions...I'm sure I left a lot out!

Details:

Cabinets- local cabinet maker, white shaker inset, BM Simply White

Hardware- Amerock Revitalize from HardwareHut.com

Countertops- Black Aracruz granite

Island Bar top- custom pine

Sink- Bella Lavello 30" Fireclay from designerplumbing.com

Faucet- Julianne Decor Design from designerplumbing.com

Wall paint- BM Edgecomb Gray

Refrigerator- Frigidaire Professional series

Microwave- Frigidaire Micro Professional

Wall Oven- Frigidaire 30" Professional

Gas Cooktop- Electrolux 5 burner gas

Downdraft- Broan

Dishwasher- Bosch

Pendants- Bronze dome pendants 76101-89 from Bellacor.com

Floors- 4 in. prefinished pine from Lumber Liquidators

Barstools- Target

Dining Table- Harvest collection Pottery barn

Comments (80)

• remodel-mama
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love it! Really, really love it! Congrats! Enjoy your new space!

• marcy96
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! You did a wonderful job - I love it all, your cabinets and all the trim detail, the pine bar top, your pendants, granite, floors and your house! Best of luck!

• doraville
    13 years ago

What a great job! I love those tall windows over the sink bringing such light to your bright white kitchen.

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

I love the kitchen *and* the garage. That's really a lovely space! Brava.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Very, very pretty. I love how peaceful your new kitchen is. It fits perfectly with the flow of your lovely home. Enjoy your new space!

• wallycat
    13 years ago

WOW!
    Beautiful.

Do you love the electrolux cooktop?

Who did your pine counter...gorgeous.
    Such a beautifully pulled together kitchen and the pix of your house from the outside...my dream!!!

• angel411
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wallycat-thanks! The electrolux cooktop works great- I had to get used to the high temp it cooks at...there is no simmer, but I'm looking in to getting a simmer plate. I'm a clean-freak and I wish I could say it's easy to clean, but it takes some elbow grease. But it is sooo worth it when it's pretty and shiny! :)

• plumberry
    13 years ago

So gorgeous!!!! Congratulations!

• angel411
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to add that our cabinet maker found the pine for the bartop and had it milled for us. Then the painters stained it the same color as we were doing on our stairs and coffered ceiling. Thanks again!!

• jolynna
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks like one in a magazine. I love the floors. They are so warm and just perfect with your cabinets. Farmhouses and farm kitchens are my favorites.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

This is beautiful! I love the dark and light, and the pendants are beautiful! Your cabinetmaker did such a great job, and the pulls and knobs look timeless.

Enjoy your wonderful space!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Am I the only one for whom the pictures aren't appearing? At all, not even a link or anything to indicate where the pictures might be. So could somebody post a direct link to them, for _moi_?
    Casey

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

angel...your kitchen and house are beautiful! You did a wonderful job. Very impressive!

• Jean Popowitz
    13 years ago

beautifully done--enjoy!

• goodgal
    13 years ago

I love everything about this kitchen! I tend to go bold with colors but this is such a calming environment. So crisp looking with the contrast of the dark counters and white cabinetry. LOVE white cabinets!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

I never thought about what inset cabinets were until I saw yours-stunning!! Your kitchen is just lovely.

We used to live in Jacksonville, Florida and your home reminds me of upper NE states, not NE Florida. Love the whole look of your home and I am a big fan of front porches. If all the other homes are stucco, aren't you proud to have such a beautiful original!

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

Your house is almost convincing me to move back to FL after fleeing the architecture of Miami/Fort Lauderdale. It's stunning! Was it a custom plan, or did you use a stock plan? I love it!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Lovely and soothing. I think your cabinet maker got a good deal on becoming an experienced inset cabinet builder. Now he can sell them to everyone else who wants them.

Love the porch too. My last house had several things I liked, but it didn't have a porch. The kids might say we bought this house for the pool in the backyard, but I bought it more for the better kitchen (now redone -- LOL ) and the front and back porches.

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Very nice--thanks for sharing. Enjoy that beautiful kitchen!!!

• angel411
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Young-
    We bought a Southern Living plan (Mama Crovatt's House) and then made some major modifications..added a garage,a big mudroom, and took the master off the back and put it upstairs(for now). We fell in love with the kitchen/dining room/family room, big open space. The rest of the house was just gravy! Thank you for your kind words!

• sunnny
    13 years ago

Your home is stunning! I've been in love with jbrodie's kitchen since I first saw it and she's part of my inspiration as well.

Can you tell me about your front door. LOVE IT!

Enjoy many fabulous times there.
    Sunny

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

Your cabinetmaker really paid attention! Great job! The pine counter on the island is beautiful. Love your house plan - especially the garage - looks like it would be right at home here in Massachusetts. Enjoy every minute!

• angel411
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!
    Sunny- the door that I had envisioned looked just like ours but was way out of our price range...so we did a little visual trickery. We took a plan 3 quarter-lite door with matching side lites and then made the squares at the bottom using some trim. This square shaker theme is used throughout the house. Once they were painted, they looked just like the $3,000 door! We did the same thing on the french doors on the side porch as well.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

That's one great, gorgeous kitchen you've got there! You go!

• busybme
    13 years ago

It's really beautiful! I can just see you cooking, with guests or the kids hanging out at the bar. Simple and elegant...great job!

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! Not only did the cabinet maker do a wonderful job on the insets, the pine bar top is divine. Bravo and congrats!

• stephanienfb
    13 years ago

Drooling over the kitchen. Just beautiful. We are remodeling and am scouring this wonderful site for ideas. A lot of people mentioned a particular kitchen, jbrodie, I believe. Will someone please post a link to photos of it? Thanks so much!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Angel411...I live in Alachua County (20 minutes from UF). It is almost illegal to build a 2 story down here! LOL.

• excited2build
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I went with Frigidaire as well. They were nice looking, in my price range and the fridge was the best thing size wise I could get to counter depth without paying the money for it. Did you do a single oven and a separate microwave or did that come as a set?

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I love your inset cabinets so much and that Simply White paint color is perfect! Your kitchen turned out just gorgeous! I also love the pine floors. Thank you for sharing.

• angel411
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sabji- just wait till the fall when we fly our Georgia Bulldogs flag...they'll burn our house down for sure!

Excited- The oven and MW are the same series, but separate units. We purchased the fridge a few years ago for another house, and when we were ready to build again I had no preferences about the rest. I went to a local appliance company that has a great showroom, and they had their Fridgidaire Professional series floor models half price! So I got the wall oven and microwave with trim kit for next to nothing AND they matched my fridge! Score! (I got the Bosch DW and Electrolux cooktop half price, too, by purchasing their floor models). Thanks for asking!

• houseful
    13 years ago

Very beautiful! The arch looks great, and I really like the way you left the corner walls instead of corner counter space.

I love your whole house! As much as I love Phoenix, there are many days I long for a green yard like that.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Love your space! Love your pendants and the arch detail over your sink windows and your cabinets. What a beautiful kitchen.

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Great kitchen and house. Love the windows!

• viva99
    13 years ago

I especially love all the soffit and ceiling treatments. The whole effect is beautiful, unique and timeless. Way to go.

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Perfection!!! Love it. Love all that I can see of the house.

Would you share what your chandalier is hanging over your table?

• angel411
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Irishcreamgirl! The chandy over the dining room table is from Home Depot and is a Progress Lighting Heirloom 5-light Chandelier Model # P4008-88. I wanted something simple so it wouldn't block the view into the living room. It works out well since you can pretty much see through it. It was affordable, too- only $80!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I've owned that same Progress chandy 3 times now! I had it in my first house because it was affordable, I bought a second for a bedroom and threw some shades on the candles and now I just bought another one for a room in my new house. You just can't go wrong with that chandelier, I bought my first one in '03. Love it.

• sixmagnolialane
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen...much enjoyment to you and your family! My remodel in the works, cabinets will be installed within few weeks. I've got creamy white inset as well and currently spending time on wall paint color. Kitchen adjoins family room. Tell me about the BM Edgecomb Gray - I'm looking at the BM fan-deck...keep switching between ivory/cream and grays. I want neutrals without coming across as boring. Does the color seem different during various times of daylight/shade?. Any comments welcome..
    Thanks

• angel411
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Six. When the Edgecomb Gray went on at first, I was very unsure because it had a pinkish undertone. But after the trim, and floors and furniture went in, it disappeared. It definitely changes in direct light vs. natural light. As you can see from the first pic...it looks more gray with natural light. But with the undercabinet lighting on, it looks a little yellow.
    That said, we have it throughout our entire house, and I love it! It is the perfect balance of gray and khaki, and it really makes our trim stand out.

• e4849
    13 years ago

That kitchen looks so wonderful and suits your home so well.

It is a great reminder that simple, simple, simple with clean lines and no fussy details makes for a great kitchen.

• alice462
    13 years ago

what a fantastic kitchen and home -- they fit together beautifully! Good for you for going for it!

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Angel, I hope you'll mention the cabinet maker by name. Hopefully he'll get 'famous' for your kitchen, at least on Gardenweb!

Lovely, all of it.

Go Dawgs!

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

stunning! really beautiful with good restraint. you should be very proud; you did a wonderful job! and while your kitchen/house may not be the "norm" i can see it fitting in very nicely if you are located anywhere near amelia island. i just returned from a week there and i noticed many neighborhoods with lovely cottage style homes. yours would have to be among the nicest, however! enjoy!

• wensilvernell
    13 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful kitchen. I am also building a house in North Florida, and trying to recreate the same look. I'm down to floor choices, & am interested to know what kind of experience you had with Lumber Liquidators. We have been looking at the 5" prefinished Charleston Chestnut Heart Pine at LL. Looks very similar to what you have, (and I LOVE what you have in your kitchen). Did you get good service and a quality product? Thanks so much, again your kitchen is lovely.

• angel411
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Wensilvernell,
    Thanks for the compliments! LL was very easy to work with. They gave us several samples while we were deciding on a final color. When it was time to install, DH took our golf cart trailer to their warehouse near downtown Jacksonville to pick it all up. We had no problems at all dealing with them. I will caution you that the pine dings pretty easy. Underneath my bar stools is pretty dinged up, but the kind you can only see when the light hits them. I think this is pretty common with pine. It adds to the character of the house, I think anyway...I wouldn't change it. I had floors in my last house where I freaked over every footprint and scuff. These are so much easier! Good luck with your build!

• flipwilson
    13 years ago

I'm planning on building this same house plan. You did an outstanding job....it looks great!! I was wondering if you could post some pics of the other rooms (bedrooms, entry, stairway, bathrooms, etc.) and what modifications you made to the plan other than the garage addition?

• hunnicutt
    13 years ago

This kitchen is so gorgeous! Can you please let me know what finish your pine floors are from LL?

• dej142
    9 years ago

New to the board and just found this because we're interested in this floor plan. Love your kitchen! I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts you have about the floor plan after living there a few more years. Any additional modifications you'd make? Do you find it sunny enough in the main room? Thanks for any input!

• llafrenier
    5 years ago

Hello, I found this thread while looking for Mama Crovatt's House plan info. I saw that you posted you put the master bedroom upstairs. Did you make these modifications through the original architect you purchased the plans from? I would like to make these modifications also and was wondering if I could purchase your plans from the architect. Thanks!