Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motawi tile? Discount? or similar companies for tile?

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 15:50

I want to use this tile for a backsplash with walnut cabs and white quartz to break the ultra modern look - it looks very cool - the tile is very expensive though - 3x3 is $8 a piece.
It's like 7k for a backsplash...

Could you please recommend any similar manufacturers that might make similar to that pear bright green glazed tile?

I need a fresh green color ( not glass, subway or mosaic ).

Please share your thoughts...

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motawi tile? Discount? or similar companies for tile?

clayhaus tiles has a green like that. Modwalls carrys it in a 2x8 that runs $36.95 a sq. ft. Still really expensive in my book.

o

Thank you Remodelfa! I will check them out - don't want to spend more than 2K for tile and I am also a little concerned how a handmade tile (since it's very uneven) will be installed...Space between tile, grout etc.

o

Motawi is pretty high end art tile. There may be a similar color from another manufacturer but this is a very specific Arts and Crafts aesthetic. There are other tiles but the only similar (though fancier) manufacturer I know is Pewabic, also in Michigan. Both are pretty special. Heath may have something similar.

Motawi are having a one-day sale on June 1 -- perhaps it's possible to score.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:49

o

also try:
Fireclay Dunis Encore Status

All handmade, all great companies, all kinda pricey, but beautiful

o

If you can go to the Motawi factory/office in Ann Arbor, they have a big section of seconds and they aren't trashy seconds. They're just a little off which is almost to be expected in handmade art tile. You could get lucky. (Okay, I haven't been there in 10 years. So call first.)

I decided that they were still a little pricey for field tile and just used a bunch of their accents in a different handmade tile field.

o

Thank you all! I am in CA so won't be able to go to Motawi factory/office in Ann Arbor.
Planning to check heath ceramics in SF or match the color and order as custom with a local place.
I need 57sqf - it's a small kitchen - 10x13

o

DuQuella tile in Portland is another great place; they are great to work with, as well.

o

What if you search for Talavera tiles? Maybe there would be a similar color that are handmade for a much better price. These in the link at 2.00 apiece. Not the pear green though but just a thought...

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

o

Thank you deedles! $2.00 a piece is not bad.

o

One tile shop suggested these as a handmade alternative to some pricey tile I was looking at. Laguna toward the bottom of the page might work.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

o

Motawi, Pewabic, Trikeenan are all gonna be pushing $40 a square foot. All beautiful, but since they are made to order, there generally is no discount. You'll even have to pay shipping in addition. They generally have a on-site store with seconds, overruns, etcs. Would be worth it to call directly and see.

o

Daltile has two colors that might work. The collection is called Natural Hues and the colors are Kiwi and Fern. They are level 2 colors price wise. I priced a level 1 tile in a 2x8 and it was $20 sq. ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile

o

I brought motawi tiles home but they didn't work in my kitchen. They were beautiful but not the look I wanted.
You have to be a serious tile nut to go to motawi on June 1. The crowds on a normal weekend are difficult to manage - but bargains are bargains.
I loved Heath but felt bad asking for more samples for a fourth time. They had some beautiful green tiles.

o

Hi..Please give us a call to see if we can help ya out with your project. We work directly with home-owners and offer factory direct pricing:) Our tiles are handcrafted, but not 'wonky' like other handmade tiles...they are crisp, clean and modern. Would love to hear from ya! Thank you:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Clayhaus Ceramics

This post was edited by Clayhaus on Thu, May 23, 13 at 14:33

o

Thank you all for the great tips!

Went to Heat ceramics - couldn't find the right color.
Visited Fireclaytile - they might be able to do a custom color
Planning to check Dltile - the Kiwi one this week-end.
Will keep you posted.

o

Don't know if this will help you, but I have had a great experience working with this tile company for some art tile for our master bath. They also supplied some tile hangers for our kitchen tile art wall. I'm not sure on the price, but very pretty plain tile too.

Just showing you some of Josh's art work, but gorgeous plain tile as well and a real pleasure working with their studio.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is a link that might be useful: Clay Squared

o

Thank you Doonie! I have trouble opening the link with the video but will check them out

o

Check out Epro tiles - maybe you will get lucky.

o

Did you get to see the Daltile Kiwi? I have a sample here if you need it.

o

Update: I received a sample of tiles from Tilesandtiles.com

... mexican talavera type. Really beautiful

o

Hi Corgimum, I haven't had a chance - was really busy lately - how I can get it from you?

I am considering maybe the Charteuse from Fireclay which looks really yellow on the website but the sample is more green and goes very well with the walnut.
Not sure which shape should I go with since I'll have vertical grain walnut ( slab doors ) - square or 2x18 placed vertically etc. Want to have a splash of color but not looking too grandma and still keep the modern feel of the cabs.
If the grain is vertical should I consider always vertical stick shape tile - what is the design rule about that?

http://www.fireclaytile.com/recycled-tile/sizes

I like when the tiles are stacked and not offset.

I am also changing my decision for Blizzard quartz - I might go with something more beige ( NEW Dreamy Marfil 5220 ) from Ceasarstone. It flows more natural with the walnut color and green tile - I think with the Blizzard the contrast is really strong.

I also got some samples today from the Mosaic house in NY - some green color tile - R'ceef 7 in lime green.
http://www.mosaichse.com/search.html?q=lime

Thank you all for the great advices and support!

o

thedork- I sent you an email

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here