Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

Motawi tile? Discount? or similar companies for tile?

Denitza Kotov
10 years ago

I want to use this tile for a backsplash with walnut cabs and white quartz to break the ultra modern look - it looks very cool - the tile is very expensive though - 3x3 is $8 a piece.
It's like 7k for a backsplash...

Could you please recommend any similar manufacturers that might make similar to that pear bright green glazed tile?

I need a fresh green color ( not glass, subway or mosaic ).

Please share your thoughts...

Thank you!

Comments (22)

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

clayhaus tiles has a green like that. Modwalls carrys it in a 2x8 that runs $36.95 a sq. ft. Still really expensive in my book.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Remodelfa! I will check them out - don't want to spend more than 2K for tile and I am also a little concerned how a handmade tile (since it's very uneven) will be installed...Space between tile, grout etc.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

also try:
    Fireclay Dunis Encore Status

All handmade, all great companies, all kinda pricey, but beautiful

• Fori
    10 years ago

If you can go to the Motawi factory/office in Ann Arbor, they have a big section of seconds and they aren't trashy seconds. They're just a little off which is almost to be expected in handmade art tile. You could get lucky. (Okay, I haven't been there in 10 years. So call first.)

I decided that they were still a little pricey for field tile and just used a bunch of their accents in a different handmade tile field.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! I am in CA so won't be able to go to Motawi factory/office in Ann Arbor.
    Planning to check heath ceramics in SF or match the color and order as custom with a local place.
    I need 57sqf - it's a small kitchen - 10x13

• leela4
    10 years ago

DuQuella tile in Portland is another great place; they are great to work with, as well.

• deedles
    10 years ago

What if you search for Talavera tiles? Maybe there would be a similar color that are handmade for a much better price. These in the link at 2.00 apiece. Not the pear green though but just a thought...

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you deedles! $2.00 a piece is not bad.

• chesters_house_gw
    10 years ago

One tile shop suggested these as a handmade alternative to some pricey tile I was looking at. Laguna toward the bottom of the page might work.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

• eve72
    10 years ago

Motawi, Pewabic, Trikeenan are all gonna be pushing $40 a square foot. All beautiful, but since they are made to order, there generally is no discount. You'll even have to pay shipping in addition. They generally have a on-site store with seconds, overruns, etcs. Would be worth it to call directly and see.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Daltile has two colors that might work. The collection is called Natural Hues and the colors are Kiwi and Fern. They are level 2 colors price wise. I priced a level 1 tile in a 2x8 and it was $20 sq. ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I brought motawi tiles home but they didn't work in my kitchen. They were beautiful but not the look I wanted.
    You have to be a serious tile nut to go to motawi on June 1. The crowds on a normal weekend are difficult to manage - but bargains are bargains.
    I loved Heath but felt bad asking for more samples for a fourth time. They had some beautiful green tiles.

• Clayhaus
    10 years ago

Hi..Please give us a call to see if we can help ya out with your project. We work directly with home-owners and offer factory direct pricing:) Our tiles are handcrafted, but not 'wonky' like other handmade tiles...they are crisp, clean and modern. Would love to hear from ya! Thank you:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Clayhaus Ceramics

This post was edited by Clayhaus on Thu, May 23, 13 at 14:33

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the great tips!

Went to Heat ceramics - couldn't find the right color.
    Visited Fireclaytile - they might be able to do a custom color
    Planning to check Dltile - the Kiwi one this week-end.
    Will keep you posted.

• doonie
    10 years ago

Don't know if this will help you, but I have had a great experience working with this tile company for some art tile for our master bath. They also supplied some tile hangers for our kitchen tile art wall. I'm not sure on the price, but very pretty plain tile too.

Just showing you some of Josh's art work, but gorgeous plain tile as well and a real pleasure working with their studio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clay Squared

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Doonie! I have trouble opening the link with the video but will check them out

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Check out Epro tiles - maybe you will get lucky.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Did you get to see the Daltile Kiwi? I have a sample here if you need it.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Update: I received a sample of tiles from Tilesandtiles.com

... mexican talavera type. Really beautiful

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Corgimum, I haven't had a chance - was really busy lately - how I can get it from you?

I am considering maybe the Charteuse from Fireclay which looks really yellow on the website but the sample is more green and goes very well with the walnut.
    Not sure which shape should I go with since I'll have vertical grain walnut ( slab doors ) - square or 2x18 placed vertically etc. Want to have a splash of color but not looking too grandma and still keep the modern feel of the cabs.
    If the grain is vertical should I consider always vertical stick shape tile - what is the design rule about that?

http://www.fireclaytile.com/recycled-tile/sizes

I like when the tiles are stacked and not offset.

I am also changing my decision for Blizzard quartz - I might go with something more beige ( NEW Dreamy Marfil 5220 ) from Ceasarstone. It flows more natural with the walnut color and green tile - I think with the Blizzard the contrast is really strong.

I also got some samples today from the Mosaic house in NY - some green color tile - R'ceef 7 in lime green.
    http://www.mosaichse.com/search.html?q=lime

Thank you all for the great advices and support!

• corgimum
    10 years ago

thedork- I sent you an email

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor