Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kompy_gw

Can't get soap dispenser to work. Tips???

kompy
10 years ago

****KOMPY the KD here...now I need YOUR advice****

I decided at the last minute that I never wanted a bottle of Dawn on my countertop ever again, so I ran out and got a soap dispenser in stock at Lowes. It's designed like the NeverMT to have the long hose.

The plumbing is all hooked up but no soap will come out. I tried a pan of warm water like the instructions said, to get it going. But nothing is working. I cut the hose a little bit....do I need to cut it so it's as short as possible but stays in the bottle?

Has anyone else had this issue? Please send me some suggestions to get it going. Or should I just replace it??

KOMPY

Comments (19)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I just installed our wonderful never mt gift. It took awhile to pump the soap to the top but now it works great. I would recommend contacting NMT - maybe you have a defective model.

• function_first
    10 years ago

I had this happen and, as simple as it sounds, I just unhooked every place where the tubing connected to something , and then just rehooked it to the exact same spot in the same way. After doing that it worked. It must have been one connection that looked tight but was actually not tight.

• MiMi
    10 years ago

I wrote this backwards... corrected below..long day.

This post was edited by dbfirewife on Thu, May 30, 13 at 22:24

• MiMi
    10 years ago

It may need primed... pump it, then when you release the pump hold your finger over the opening, you may need to do this several times... maybe this will help.

• jejvtr
    10 years ago

What others have said LOTS OF PUMPING for initial start
    Make sure the hole where soap comes out isn't clogged

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How do you prime it, dbfirewife? finger over the dispenser opening or the hose opening?

I don't have a NeverMT, just one from Lowes that is designed just like a NEVERMT.

Thanks for your input....I'll keep trying.
    K

• cathy725
    10 years ago

The never MT had you use the regular soap dispenser to prime the pump. I had one dispenser with soap in the regular bottle. So i took my new soap dispensers, put them into the bottle to prime them (make sure they pump soap out and there is a full tube of soap in the hard tube that came with original dispenser). Then I connected it to the long flexible hose of the never MT and hooked it to the big bottle. Then pump repeatedly until the soap starts coming out.

Those are directions provided with the never MT's. I don't know what the one from Lowe's looks like, but priming it will help so you don't get a vacuum effect in the tube which would block anything from going through entire tube.

I hope what I wrote made sense! Can you look at the entire length of tubing and see only soap--no bubbles? I'm guessing an air bubble is blocking things for you.

Good luck, I hope you get it working!

• Peke
    10 years ago

Kompy, did you get your soap dispenser to work?

I looked at Lowws but I didn't see any. Where are they located?

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

i would go out and buy a $100+ kohler or snootier brand. it's one product where i TRULY believe the brand makes a huge difference in terms of quality. we had 5 pumps from either lowes or HD and 1 brizo pump in our last house. my mom had 1 kohler. the kohler and brizo pumps never had a single problem. all 5 of the box store pumps clogged or failed us on a regular basis. literally all 5. so even if you get it working, it won't be for long i bet.

the good news is, it really is awesome not having a dawn bottle on your counter.

good luck!

• calumin
    10 years ago

Two things:

1) The pump mechanism might be broken. That happened to me with my Blanco soap dispenser -- they sent another pump mechanism (it's just a small plastic piece). It took 2 minutes to replace and then everything worked fine.

2) Some soap dispensers require thin, or diluted, detergent to prevent the pump from clogging.

• calumin
    10 years ago

Two things:

1) The pump mechanism might be broken. That happened to me with my Blanco soap dispenser -- they sent another pump mechanism (it's just a small plastic piece). It took 2 minutes to replace and then everything worked fine.

2) Some soap dispensers require thin, or diluted, detergent to prevent the pump from clogging.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Easy fix. Thin the soap with water. And then prime the pump, but thinning with water is key. You won't notice any difference in cleaning ability and less clog-ability.

And every time I add soap to my 2 yr. old dispenser, I add water.

• ChappySuede
    10 years ago

I was able to unclog my dispenser by running hot water into both ends of the pull out dispenser unit that sits on top of the sink. After rinsing and pumping for a couple of minutes some clogged soap spit out and it has worked fine ever since. I would use your dispenser daily to keep the soap from solidifying inside the tubes.

• Northlut
    10 years ago

So umm here's a stupid question. Our kitchen came with a soap dispenser already installed. We assumed it was for hand soap, so that's what we've been using it for. Were we supposed to be using it for dish soap all along?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I switched from dish soap to hand soap when I realized I wash my hands a dozen times of day and wash dishes once or twice. I never really liked washing my hands with dish soap.

• melva02
    9 years ago

I found this old thread helpful in getting my soap dispenser to work.

To prime the pump, I had to take off the tube and put the stub in water to fill the pump itself, then put the tube on and pump water into the tube, then move the tube to the soap and it pumped fine after that.

It now drips steadily into my sink, but at least it pumps when I push it. Thanks for the tips.

• dahon061303
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Anybody have any idea how to fix a vintage wall soap dispenser pump? Is there a place where I can get it fix? Any website that show how or link? Thanks.

Problem:
    The pump can pump thin or thick hand soap but it also comes out where the pump is. The soap dispenser I have is very very old. Please I need help. Thanks.

• 1994cdm
    7 years ago

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but it still popped up when I was searching for help with my soap dispenser not staying primed.

To fix it, I tried disconnecting and re-connecting all the connections. I primed it and waited 10 minutes... the prime was still lost.

I disconnected the long tube from the pump. There is an o-ring on my model to make an air tight connection from the flexible tube to the pump. At this spot, the flexible tube had conformed to the o-ring allowing an air leak. I snipped off the small piece of tubing and re-attached it to the pump. This made the tube fit tighter on the pump/o-ring. This appears to have fixed my problem.

I hope this helps! Blessings, Mrs. M