Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2_gw

Backsplash: Horizontal Won

kitchenredo2
14 years ago

I decided to lay the tile so that the "lines" ran horizontally. The tile will be grouted on Monday.

On my other post, I had a request for the name of the tile. The tile is called Rigo, it is by Provenza and is from their Avallone collection (or I think it is, the site is in Italian). The color is New White.

Cook top wall:

Close-up of tile:

Comments (8)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Very cool... it has a clean contemporary vibe. I like it alot. I love the look of your pendant in the foreground. Can you share some info on it?

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    14 years ago

Excellent.
    Can't wait to see the finished pics.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I must not have seen your other post. That is cool looking stuff. Can't wait to see your whole kitchen.

• kitchenredo2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

remodelfla -- Thanks, I'm going for clean and contemporary.

The island lights are one of my favorite finds for the kitchen! The pendant fitter and shade are both from Lowes. Portfolio 1-Light Nickel Pendant Fitter (Item#: 268808/Model: CPT-11PNK) for $19.87 and added the Litex Pendant Glass Frost Shade (Item#: 266577/Model: N892F) for $8.98. So for $87 plus tax I had 3 lights for my island. My electrician was shocked - he thought I had spent at least $150 per light....

We went with these b/c we decided if we wanted to change the look of the kitchen, changing the shades would be a fun way to do it. These were my first choice. Perhaps I will go funkier in the future.....

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Wait... let me make sure I understand this. You buy a essentially naked pendant, then you purchase whatever shade floats your boat and you can change it out inexpensively?

• kitchenredo2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

remodelfla -- I saw this at Lowes years ago and knew that this is what I was going to do for our kitchen when we remodeled. It is such a great concept....

The naked pendants come in different colors (white, black, etc.) and Lowes has a collection of interchangeable shades. We purchased naked pendants in black and nickel to see which went best with the kitchen (nickel won). We also purchased one of every shade we liked (I think we took home 10 different shades). They also have pendant fitters with multiple lights (we needed single ones to get the correct distance between the lights).

I believe you could use any shade you find as long as the hole in the top of the shade isn't too big. I am planning on keeping an eye out for other shades that'll work. I believe the hole in the top of the shade needs to be 2.25 inches with no neck.

• want2bsure
    14 years ago

That pendant works beautifully with your tile, don't change it! Sometimes I think we doubt our choices if they were economical (not CHEAP), call it karma and move on to something else!
    Are your ovens white or is that the protective film? They're not 1980's white, which is what I'm afraid of.
    Good luck finishing up, can't wait to see more.

• kitchenredo2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

want2bsure -- Don't worry, the ovens are stainless steel! The contractors are leaving as much of the protective film on as possible until the kitchen is done. Although white ovens would match the backsplash and the pendant lights nicely ;).

I am guardedly optimistic that I am getting close to the end. The stainless steel supports for the soapstone island overhang are attached and the temporary supports come out Monday. Tile to be grouted on Monday, then the range hood installed... and the cabinet hardware. After the floors are refinished I can get the refrigerator delivered.

I am waiting for some replacement doors from the cabinet manufacturer. The door to my trash pull-out is in "door heaven." It was mistaken for a finished underside of the upper cabinets and a hole was drilled in it for the puck light....

This is part of a larger renovation and I've been told we can move back into the rest of the house in 2 weeks. As long as the weather holds, this should happen...