Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsic

Backsplash help

madsic
10 years ago

Wondering if anyone can help with there input what do you think of a cream marfil tile backsplash with a few red glass tile accents. I have sienna Bordeaux granite and cherrcabinets here's a pick

Comments (16)

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cream marfil I'm looking at and picture some red glass tiles in it also

• socalusa
    10 years ago

My daughter is just finishing up her crema marfil and she has Sienna Beige granite (probably close to the same thing. Her cabinets are a glazed maple, but these will give you an idea of what it might look like.

I think it is picking up whatever light comes in from the window in these shots, but it's a nice soothing backdrop.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Do you have the tile samples on hand? How do you plan to add the accents?

• eam44
    10 years ago

Crema marfil is a beautiful stone, and if you love it, it'll be great. The image you posted identifies the tile as Travertine, not marble. Are you considering travertine as well?

One thing I have noticed in mixing granite and marble (or limestone) in the same space, aside from the fact it can get a little stonehenge-y, is that the background colors never really match. And why should they? They're different stones. I find the mismatch visually distracting. If it doesn't bother you, no problem. If it does, you might get a better background color match using glass or porcelain tiles. They would certainly have less going on, more of a uniform look from which to display the red accent tiles. In the mosaics below, you could use the beige as the field tile replacing random (same sized) pieces of it with corresponding pieces of the red mosaic.

3" x 6" Glossy Ceramic Tile

Glass Mosaics

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was definitely considering travertine or glass. Also I don't want the backsplash to busy cause I don't want to take away from granite wanted to add a few pieces of red glass like 1x1 like these just picture a few red pieces mixed in

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd skip the accent tile. Your granite and cabinets are show stoppers,and you can always add more color with accessories that you can change (red, blue, green, ...)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I would skip the accent tiles and consider a neutral porcelain or ceramic backsplash. Your cabinets and granite make such bold statement, you don't want your backsplash to add even more competition.

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some samples i picked up today i dont like the limestone the guy helped picked out but i liked the glass actually please help and be honest

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

any other suggestions

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

IMO the ones you posted are too busy and the wrong shade. Keep it simple without accents.

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok it looks like its down to these tiles

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This post was edited by madsic on Tue, May 28, 13 at 16:24

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• madsic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few ppl have said the darker one

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Will you have under cabinet lighting? I think the dark tiles will make the room seem cave-like. I cannot tell if the other one is a match. Have you looked at ceramic subways? Daltile makes a very affordable one called Rittenhouse Square. It comes in several colors that might work- biscuit, almond, urban putty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile