Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash help

Posted by madsic (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 15:43

Wondering if anyone can help with there input what do you think of a cream marfil tile backsplash with a few red glass tile accents. I have sienna Bordeaux granite and cherrcabinets here's a pick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash help

Another angle

o

Cream marfil I'm looking at and picture some red glass tiles in it also

o

My daughter is just finishing up her crema marfil and she has Sienna Beige granite (probably close to the same thing. Her cabinets are a glazed maple, but these will give you an idea of what it might look like.

I think it is picking up whatever light comes in from the window in these shots, but it's a nice soothing backdrop.

photo CAM03635_zps2b929422.jpg

photo CAM03388_zpse54060d8.jpg

o

Do you have the tile samples on hand? How do you plan to add the accents?

o

Crema marfil is a beautiful stone, and if you love it, it'll be great. The image you posted identifies the tile as Travertine, not marble. Are you considering travertine as well?

One thing I have noticed in mixing granite and marble (or limestone) in the same space, aside from the fact it can get a little stonehenge-y, is that the background colors never really match. And why should they? They're different stones. I find the mismatch visually distracting. If it doesn't bother you, no problem. If it does, you might get a better background color match using glass or porcelain tiles. They would certainly have less going on, more of a uniform look from which to display the red accent tiles. In the mosaics below, you could use the beige as the field tile replacing random (same sized) pieces of it with corresponding pieces of the red mosaic.

3" x 6" Glossy Ceramic Tile

Glass Mosaics

o

I was definitely considering travertine or glass. Also I don't want the backsplash to busy cause I don't want to take away from granite wanted to add a few pieces of red glass like 1x1 like these just picture a few red pieces mixed in

o

I'd skip the accent tile. Your granite and cabinets are show stoppers,and you can always add more color with accessories that you can change (red, blue, green, ...)

o

I would skip the accent tiles and consider a neutral porcelain or ceramic backsplash. Your cabinets and granite make such bold statement, you don't want your backsplash to add even more competition.

o

Some samples i picked up today i dont like the limestone the guy helped picked out but i liked the glass actually please help and be honest

o

any other suggestions

o

IMO the ones you posted are too busy and the wrong shade. Keep it simple without accents.

o

Ok it looks like its down to these tiles

o

This post was edited by madsic on Tue, May 28, 13 at 16:24

o

o

A few ppl have said the darker one

o

Will you have under cabinet lighting? I think the dark tiles will make the room seem cave-like. I cannot tell if the other one is a match. Have you looked at ceramic subways? Daltile makes a very affordable one called Rittenhouse Square. It comes in several colors that might work- biscuit, almond, urban putty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here