Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Talk to me about knives in drawers....

bluekitobsessed
14 years ago

So now that I've started to acquire nice knives (Ken Onion by Shun, for those who care) but won't get a set with a block, it looks like my alternatives are to (a) figure out some way to get the official Ken Onion block without the knives; (b) get knife blocks/holders that fit in drawers; or (c) find some wall space for a magnetic rack. I like (b) the best but I'd like to hear from y'all about your experiences.

Blue

Comments (13)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I LOVE my knife drawer! Hubby made it for me according to my design, and it is just the nicest thing to have. Stores so many knives in a way that's handy, efficient and clutter-free:

• lesmis
    14 years ago

I also love my knife drawer. I now have access to knives I've had scattered everywhere, including some still in boxes for years! It was an aftermarket insert my cabinetmaker ordered, not the loving gift that Sweeby has, but still I can't imagine ever being without one again! I hated how much room my old knife block took up on my counter and I just threw mine away the other day (well it's in the garage looking for a new use holding screwdrivers maybe?).

Kat :)

• nicoletouk
    14 years ago

HE-llo! Ken Onion are some seriously nice knives. Enjoy them! I am secretly coveting the KO 6" chef's knife with the little individual knife holder, convinced it will make me a better cook!

I have a knife drawer and love it! It is a 15" drawer fitted with the knife racks from Williams-Sonoma (link below). Sweeby's is much prettier but her husband is already married so I had to go with this one. Actually, I'm very happy with it and recommend it to others.

Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: In-drawer knife rack

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

For Mother's Day I received a new knife block and set of knives from DH and both boys. My old knives were in pretty sad shape with the exception for a few newer ones. For those, I purchased the same knife rack that nigel-bigel has from Williams-Sonoma. Fits perfectly into my drawer and can be expanded to fit your needs.

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

Sweeby's is pretty, pretty, pretty!
    I just purchased a bamboo knife drawer organizer and have only used it a week. I love how it works, but wish it took up less drawer room (it does hold all of our knives). I found it at a Home Goods store (like Marshall's) for $19 - I linked to the same rack on Amazon.

For those of you interested, Target has an organizer similar to the Williams-Sonoma for $19 - however not quite as nice. Here is that link:

http://www.target.com/Hampton-Forge-Drawer-Knife-Block/dp/B001Q6I92I/sr=1-1/qid=1243467717/ref=sr_1_1/175-6006283-7393523?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0amp;index=target&rh=k%3Aknife%20drawer&page=1

Hestia_Flames

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo knife storage Example

• neilar
    14 years ago

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I thought I'd mention that in the book Kitchen Design with Cooking in Mind, Don Silvers says that the magnetic strip is the best for your knives. I gather that since the blade doesn't touch anything, the sharpness is maintained the best with this setup. I myself use a wood block currently.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

my cabinet maker (whoever he ends up being) is going to do an in-drawer block for me. i agree with the magnetic strip, but i don't like my knives out since i have two small kids and ...i don't like my knives out. just me though!

and i have just acquired my very first ken onion knife: the 8" santuko! i am planning on attending a knife skills class at the local community college however, since i sliced half my finger off the first time i used it! SERIOUSLY SHARP.

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

I'd been using a block for our knives in our old house, but didn't want the block on our new island. After reading Don Silver's book, I decided the magnetic strip was the way to go, but didn't want it on a wall because it would not be convenient for our prep area. Someone on this forum suggested installing a magnetic strip in a drawer -- problem solved! I searched online & found a 24" long one to mount in the top drawer next to our prep sink, and now our knives live there. DH was initially skeptical, because he liked our block, but he became an instant convert when he realized that he could now SEE all the knives to choose from. (Most of the time the knives never made it back to the same slot & we wasted a lot of time pulling them out to find the one we wanted.) I always put the knives in upside down in the block so we wouldn't dull the blades, and now we don't have to mess with that either.

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gizmonike, do you have a pic? Is the strip just sitting against the bottom of the drawer? (trying to visualize this)

Glad to see the WS blocks get good reviews; since I don't have a handy DH, that would probably be my default choice.

• pirula
    14 years ago

I have my knives in a drawer. Love it. One of the few pieces of Don Silver's advice that I didn't take. I have found no issues with my knives losing an edge because I put the in the drawer slots. I didn't want a block, and the magnetic strip just seemed dangerous to occasionally klutzy moi.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I seem to recall also seeing here a couple of other ways of handling the magnetic strip:

* Narrow upper cabinet/filler pullout with the magnetic strip on one side.

* Mounted on the inside of an upper cabinet door

Sorry, no pics!

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

I put in one of those narrow upper cab filler pullout with magnet strips for my knives. I copied the idea from lmalm. I drew up the plans for the pullout, ordered the magnet strips and drawer glides off the web and DH built it for me. Not really a retrofit solution, but maybe can help someone still planning.

Not the best pic, but that's why DH usually takes the pics.

• ncamy
    14 years ago

Several years ago we considered a magnetic strip as well but were advised against it by someone far more knowledgable than I. She said to never use a magnetic strip on a really good knife. I'm not really sure why because if it was a really good knife then it wouldn't warp then, would it? I think it was something about affecting the sharpness. We instead use sheaths and actually find it very convenient.