Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtv20

big islands

mtv20
13 years ago

How big is too big for an island? My island was going to be 72 wide by 48 deep to allow for more storage.plus a 10 inch overhang. I was going to make it that big because I really did have the room. Now I am hesitant because I think it is way too deep to reach over. Am I overthinking it or is it done? I am very overwhelmed!! Does anyone have one this size? Would appreciate lots of feedback and pictures!! Thanks so much!! ASAP! My island order is going in tomorrow!!!

Comments (22)

• Suzy
    13 years ago

mine will be 9 feet by 4.5 ft. why do you need to reach over it? do you think you'll be getting stuff out of the drawers while sitting on the opposite side? i like a nice big island.

• susanka
    13 years ago

I have one that's 72x40, including overhang. It works fine in a 12 1/2' x 13 1/2' kitchen; I love it. I wasn't sure if you meant the overhang was in addition to the 48 inches, or if you included that in the 48. Mine allows plenty of cabinet and storage space, plus visitors sitting at the overhang and watching me work. Hope this helps.

• mtv20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susanka- the overhang is in addition to the 48 depth, therfore if a person sits beyond the 48 plus 10 inch overhang will this be too awkward?

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

I have 2 islands--each are 54 x 81 including an 18" overhang. Here are a couple pics (not finished yet).

• susanka
    13 years ago

I don't think it will be awkward, although your kitchen would need to be larger than mine. I have normal-length arms, and I just tried reaching from one side to the other; I couldn't reach all the way, but certainly close enough that a plate could be slid the rest of the way or your guests or kids or DH could pull it the final few inches.

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

I don't think it will be awkward. I have a friend with something like a 8ft. by 6 ft. island. Her criteria was being able to reach the middle of hte island, not to the other side. One thing you should consider is whether you want to reduce the storage space of your island to enable a larger overhang so people can have leg room! 10 inches isn't very much, even for a kid!

• susanka
    13 years ago

Wow, michiganrachel is right. My overhang is 12 inches; didn't think to measure that. And my island is a little smaller than yours will be, as above.

• graciepunkin
    13 years ago

My island is 111 x 63 and I can reach just past the center point for cleaning. I do have to move the bar stools in order to reach the middle from the seating side.

I think you'll be okay at 58". However, you may want to consider a larger overhang as a pp suggested. 10" is not a lot of leg room. We're happy with a 15" overhang.

• mtv20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the tip susanka. Do you think 12 inches is enough?

• mtv20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

graciemay-thank you too!!!so much for your input!!!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

15" is the 'recommended' overhang for counterheight seating. Will you serve meals there or will it just be for someone hanging out to talk while they drink a glass of wine and/or nibble some snacks? I'd worry most about adequate overhang if you'll eat meals there, especially if often. I wouldn't go less than the recommended in that case, so people are comfortable for the duration of the meal.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

ooohhh Big Islands are wonderful. Go for it.
    Here are just a few of my favorites.
    ~boxer

Kitchen Design Ser Miami Fl

Sophie Conran Kitchens

FBae

National Post

Decorpad

Artichoke Kitchens

Enlgish Oak

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Mine is 66 x 88, and it is a great size. Our overhang is 12 in., and it's plenty. We have long legs, too.

• susanka
    13 years ago

mtv20, I do think 12 inches is enough. My DH is 5 feet 10 or so, finds the island very comfy. So does my six-foot grandson. You've seen some great photos now. I look forward to seeing what you decide on. Good luck!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to state that I don't have any problem reaching to the center. You should be fine.

• aokat15
    13 years ago

boxerpups - do you have any more pics of that top white kitchen or a website that I can go to for more info? Thanks!!

• mtv20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks so much susanka! It really does help!

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

My counter measures 46 1/2'' x 122 1/2'' which includes 14'' of overhang. No trouble cleaning and I don't have to move the barstools. At 60'' I'm guessing you will probably have to move the stools and tip toe a little to clean the center. I think it will be worth it though! Love big islands. :)

We have no trouble at all with the 14'' overhang, but can't comment if 12'' is sufficient. Sounds like it works fine for others.

Close-in view (sorry the lighting is awful):

Here's an older one with better lighting, but father away:

• villacolonica
    13 years ago

boxerpups, thanks for posting those pics...I just saved it to my clippings! :)

Personally, I LOVE big islands. We're doing a 6 1/2' x 12' island in our next home with seating on the 12' side. I'm 5'3 1/2" but I have long arms, so I have no problems reaching the center to clean. As others have mentioned to the OP, I'd do at least a 15" overhang for seating.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Aokat15,

Here is the link J Design Group.
    http://www.jdesigngroup.com/interior-design-gallery/kitchens1.php

It was a google image but it can be found at this
    spot.
    Best of luck.
    ~boxer

Here is a link that might be useful: J Design Group

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Another vote for at least a 15" overhang! I'm 5'10" and find the 12" overhang at my friends' counter-height peninsula uncomfortable. I have to either sit sideways or "straddle" their peninsula...neither is very comfortable for very long. My 6'5" DH won't even sit at their peninsula b/c he finds it so uncomfortable...and he has short legs/long body...so it's as if he were shorter leg-wise.

We have a 15" overhang on our counter-height peninsula and it's just deep enough for me. My DH sometimes wishes it were 18", but he's OK w/the 15" since he doesn't sit there for very long. My 5'11" DD says it could be a little more but she's comfortable enough... My 6'6" DS rarely sits at the peninsula so I don't know what he thinks of it! (I'll have to ask him tomorrow...maybe he doesn't sit at it b/c it's too uncomfortable for him....hmmmmmm)

In my experience, the 15" minimum overhang the NKBA recommends is spot on!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Not only is adequate overhang for the comfort of those seated, but may protect your island from getting kicked and marked up. A few inches can make a lot of difference on the wear and tear it receives and shows. I am happy for those with less and find it working well for them, but if you can do more...why not? What is your aisle depth behind the seating? That is very important to consider in figuring island overall depth, too.