Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimsig

Induction cookware question

Kim
10 years ago

I debated posting this here or on appliences but this forum seems to have more traffic! We are going induction with our remodel and of course my current cookware will not work. I saw a set of Cuisinart Tri ply cookware on Costcos site. The 12 piece set is only 149 , at Macy's it's 375. It says it is induction suitable but I was hoping someone here might have actually used this set and was wondering what you thought of it.

Comments (22)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I'M about to replace my elderly pots and pans, and I'm considering this very brand. They get great reviews online -- better than some More expensive brands.

Do note that they have two levels . . . I forget the exact name, but it's something like tri-clad pro series. The pro series has the aluminum and other metals all the way up the sides instead of just the bottom of the pan.

• Megan Meyers
    10 years ago

I debated getting this same set. I already have a few pieces of cast iron and enameled cast iron cookware, so buying a big set wasn't the best idea for me. I found a Tramontina sauté pan at Home Goods (also sold at WalMart), a large stock pot with pasta insert at Crate and Barrel, and a ceramic nonstick skillet at Ikea. Choosing by the piece was more economical and better for me.

• huango
    10 years ago

sorry, I don't know anything about your set, but I LOVE the Walmart Trimontina all clad triply set (which we got to replace our fabulous William Sonoma all clad set).
    amazing bang for the buck.
    i'm going to buy a 2nd set (we use a lot of pots/pans).

Amanda

• attofarad
    10 years ago

The Tramontina is fine stuff for the price, but i would not get pots without a drip edge for pouring. That is really the only complaint I have with my set. OTOH, my Demeyere covered saute pan is way better.

• bookmom41
    10 years ago

I have Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Tri-ply and it works great (very responsive) on my induction. The handles are comfortable, the rims are rolled for easy pouring, and while we usually hand wash it, we put it in the dishwasher sometimes, too. A little Barkeeper's Friend makes it look brand new, when I am so inclined to put in a bit of extra cleaning effort. I purchased my set from Amazon about 6 or so months ago and it was well under $200--but I think Cuisinart was doing a "redesign" on the cookware and I have the old set which was being discounted. What you are looking at on the Macy's site might be the "new" design and as I recall, didn't constitute much more than a slightly different handle.

I have a mix of cookware and have the 1.5 quart Tramontina pot since Cuisinart doesn't make one that small. It is just as nice as the Cuisinart except it doesn't have the rolled rim and it does make pouring messier.

• repac
    10 years ago

I purchased the Cuisinart Pro tri-ply cookware from Costco for my new induction cooktop. The cookware is wonderful. It's a great weight, cooks evenly and quickly on induction. I needed a second set and bought Calphalon stainless steel. The two compared extremely well. I'd encourage you to get the Cuisinart; it's a well priced set that cooks like a much more expensive one.

• Kim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks repac and bookmom41 for the reviews! I will get the set, can't beat the price. I love love this site, the help and information is amazing, so glad I found it!

• mrspete
    10 years ago

BookMom41, Yes, yes! That's the name of the cookware I've recently decided to buy. I had the name a little wrong.

Like Meyersdvm, I am planning to buy just the individual pieces I actually need. I have lots of cast iron, which I adore, and I have two large glass (Visions by CorningWare) stockpots that are wonderful for soups and stews. What I NEED are new saucepans because my old ones have just worn out -- so I'm buying just those and two small frying pans. I don't plan to hang them on a pot rack, so I don't care that they won't be "a full set".

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

It was a hard decision for me to go induction. I have always cooked with gas, but our new home in current renovation mode, has electric only for cooking. It's the county code. We have no gas lines, and everyone has a propane tank, but you can't cook with propane, according to code.

Still figuring out which cook top to purchase, and only a few of my pots and pans are magnet friendly. Some of my pans were my mom's and grandma's and I'm sad to see them go.

Thanks for this post and all the great answers.

Suzi

• eleena
    10 years ago

Suzi,

You don't have to let them go. There is a plate/disc that allows you to cook on induction using incompatible cookware. I think Max Burton has one and do does Mauviel (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction disc

10 years ago

eleena! You are my new best friend! :-))

I had no idea such a thing existed, and DH will be so happy I'm not going to have to purchase a whole new set of expensive pans!

I'm happy I can use what I have with all the memories they carry!

Also, so timely! I have 3 weeks left on my Amazon Prime trial, so free shipping!

It's in my cart!

Suzi

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"There is a plate/disc that allows you to cook on induction using incompatible cookware."

That is one very overpriced iron disk.

Even with the fancy handle added.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Before you rush out and buy the disc, you might want to do a search over in the appliances forum here for threads about it. Reactions are very mixed.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

You can't cook with propane?

10 years ago

Well, I did read the reviews on Amazon, and didn't buy it yet. There is a cheaper one $39.00 that does the same thing.

I told DH about it, and said that I cook all the time in my cast iron, and then I got that lightbulb thing, stuck my stainless double boiler inside of the cast iron frying pan, and wondered if that would work.......... hmmmmmmmmmm

Suzi

10 years ago

kitchendective, In Riverside County, California, it's against the code to use propane for cooking. Weird, but true.

• msl511
    10 years ago

From Wednesday's New York Times, not cheap, but interesting to know about:

To Use: Upper-Arm Strength Not Required

Assuming that your mother is not a stevedore, she might appreciate a new line of lightweight but effective cast iron cookware from Japan. Designed by Komin Yamada, the sleek five-quart Dutch oven with comfortable loop handles weighs about four and a half pounds, or about six pounds less than my French cast iron one. But it browned and braised just as well. The pot has a nonstick silicone finish and can be used on an induction cooktop; the stainless steel lid is easy to lift with one hand. A nine-and-a-half-inch skillet also performed well at a pound lighter than my cast iron heirloom. I did not try the handsome 10-inch round grill pan, the other piece in this collection: Komin Dutch oven is $199.95, skillet is $79.95 and grill pan is $89.95 at Williams-Sonoma stores.

• bookmom41
    10 years ago

I think I posted this somewhat cautionary tale about using a disc under a non-magnetic cooking vessel, but I'll post it again. In an effort to be able to keep using our Whirlypop, I bought a Lodge cast iron comal--figured I'd heat up the comal, put the Whirlypop on it and we'd be good to go. Well, it did work....but not well. It seemed to take much longer than normal for the heat from the comal to transfer enough to heat up the Whirlypop enough for the popcorn to pop and the paper towel I put under the comal to prevent the cooktop from getting scratched scorched badly. The scorching was so bad that I thought I'd ruined the cooktop. Most of the residue came off with the ceram cleaner that comes with the range, but if you look closely, you can still see a little bit of the paper towel pattern on the cooktop.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I bought Emeril cookware with my induction top and I love it....I love the see-thru lids which are really helpful as induction heats so quickly, you want to watch for boil overs. I love the strainer built into the lids and the pots are very quiet on the cooktop. GF bought a different pot set and complains they are noisy.

• eleena
    10 years ago

Suzi,

I am guessing that very soon after you start using induction, you will want only induction-compatible cookware and not want to deal with a disc. If you already have a few induction-friendly pieces, you won't need too many more or, at least, not at once. There are lots of places where you can buy inexpensive cookware. I have seen many nice looking pots and pans for about $25 at Tuesday Morning, T J max, and Marshall's.

The disc is for when you get nostalgic and want to use your mom's cookware. The reviews on Max Burton disc are not good but the only complaint about Maviel's was that it was slow to boil water. But who boils water that way when it takes like a minute to do it in an induction compatible pot??? I got a nice SS kettle from TJ Max for $17.

Just take your time and gradually supplement your collection. BTW, I heard from a high-end KD that he was surprised to find that IKEA pots worked better than most fancy and expensive brands. Personally, I don't like All Clad pans for induction though they worked great on gas.

Good luck with your shopping!

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"the only complaint about Maviel's was that it was slow to boil water."

The disk likely has a lot of mass that has to be heated up.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Suzi,
    Thanks for replying. DH's family homesteaded in Murrieta/Temecula area in 1800s and we have many ties to So Cal, but I had been unaware of the propane cooking prohibition. I wonder if this is true in other counties. (We left Ca after the 1994 earthquake.)