Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele0901

Help me decide - counter space or cabinet?

michele0901
10 years ago

My DH and I can't decide which is the best way to go.
Here's the situation:
We are putting in a FD built-in fridge. It will be located near a wall/pocket door. The door is usually open, but we like to have it for those times we need to close it due to noise or odor. In order to fully open the door, we need ~8" of clearance space due to the protrusion of the door handles when the door is opened. With the pocket door opened, the distance from the wall to the fridge must be 4" (the rest of the door and handle has clearance through the doorway). We have a small galley kitchen (~10" wide by 12" long).

Here's the dilema:
1. KD recommends putting in a 10" pullout on the left side of the fridge next to the wall. This would allow for cokkie sheet storage on top, with the pullout on bottom. Plenty of clearance for the door.

2. Other option is to have a 4" filler next to the wall and have 6" more of counter space on the right side of the fridge, and a under-counter pull-out. This pullout could be 9" wide by turning our 33" sink base cabinet into a 30" cabinet (the minimum needed for our Franke Orca sink).

So what would you do and why?

Comments (6)