Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best site to make a floor plan?

Posted by gale1965 (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 15:34

I want to make a floor plan for a kitchen for review but I haven't had much luck with floorplanner.com, ikea.com or homestyler.com. Is there a site for dummies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best site to make a floor plan?

A favorite on this forum is to use Google sketchup. But, if you are having trouble with floorplanner or ikea, I'm not sure you'll have a lot of luck with sketchup either.

But, you might be able to post your graph paper plan in this forum and kindly get help from someone who does use those programs well...

This post was edited by kirkhall on Sat, May 25, 13 at 15:39

o

Thanks. I posted them in another ongoing thread and didn't get any replies after that but I will start a new thread with them.

o

Hi Gale
Just found floorplanner.com, great site. Really to be used for an entire house plan, but you could use it just for an individual room. It wasn't too hard after a bit of trial & error and has very nice support people who fixed some errors I had made. You can also see your design in both 2D & 3D. The first project is free, after that you need to subscribe.
Helene

o

For kitchen only plans, the tool at NKBA.ORG works good.

http://www.nkba.org/VirtualPlanningTool.aspx

o

Graph paper, a straight edge and a dark, fine, pen are wonderful tools.(Extra fine Sharpies are good to go over intial, sketched-in pencil lines.)

Get help with accurate wall/room measurements, get the outline on graph paper and sketch away. When you have something you want to share, take a pic of it, post it to Photobucket and then add it to the thread.

Easy-peasey and no technical (electronic or drawing) skills needed.

You can d/l graph paper to your printer, if you need it and the stores are closed. Just Google it.

Graph paper has an added advantage over a computer diagram in that the grid makes it easy to quickly evaluate the dimensions on interior aisles within the plan. That's even more important than how you arrange the elements along the exterior walls. It also helps you get real about any islands that are flitting about in your mind's eye.

HTH

L>.

o

I'm going to redo my graph paper one with a straight edge. But I did get the NKBA one to work for me in Chrome (wouldn't load in firefox) and it's very eye-opening to see it in 3d. I see things that might need changing that were not evident on a flat piece of paper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here